News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Dunlap 208 GP separation question

Started by G 97, July 01, 2003, 08:16:26 AM

G 97

Recently I have experienced or witnessed several sets of Dunlop 208 GP tires in the 180/120 size experience separation at the tread seam where the tire tread is combined.  It looks as if someone took a razor blade and cut the tire at a 45% angle from side to side all the way across the tire about a half inch deep.  The build dates are 1801 1901.  This has happened mostly with rears but a few fronts as well.  I have also had a few delaminate as well as having what looks to be air bubbles in the rubber compound.   Anyone else.  
G

oldguy

pmoravek

Check with a guy named Mat Mladin.
I'm sure he'll have an opinion about dunlops.
(Couldn't happen to a nicer guy IMHO)
 ;D

G 97

Doug, that is it.  In some cases it goes all the way across and deep too.  When talking to Dunlop they become rather coy and act as if they have no idea to what I am trying to describe to them.  
G

tigerblade

The only 208GP I tried ended up looking like the one in oldguy's pic.  We had a thread about this on here a while ago.  The Dunlop guys pass it off as normal and harmless.
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

SliderPhoto

QuoteRecently I have experienced or witnessed several sets of Dunlop 208 GP tires in the 180/120 size experience separation at the tread seam where the tire tread is combined.  It looks as if someone took a razor blade and cut the tire at a 45% angle from side to side all the way across the tire about a half inch deep.  The build dates are 1801 1901.  This has happened mostly with rears but a few fronts as well.  I have also had a few delaminate as well as having what looks to be air bubbles in the rubber compound.   Anyone else.  

Hey Garth, I had that same thing at Brainerd last year.

MightyDuc Racing

All I have run this year is 208's, and I have yet to have that problem (knock on wood).  There is a big thread either on here or the WERA board about it.  Go to the WERA board and search it.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Thingy

Knuppy had that happen on a set of slicks this year out at Pikes Peak.  I think it was on a 16 1/2 inch rear.  I took it up to the dunlop boys and he said that it was where they join the tread and not to worry about it.

I am not sure if he was blowing me off or was telling the truth.  Either way, we ran it another day and had no problems.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

oldguy

I wasn't too impressed so I backed off a couple of seconds and then had Pirellis put on at the end of the day.
The tire guy can say "Don't worry about it" all he wants, but it's my butt riding 140+ on that tire not his.

xlr8tn

i bought 2 rear's of last year's model and had it happen to one of mine.  the dunlop guy called over a fellow racer and he said "oh...happens all the time...nothing to worry about".  Dunlop guy says..."nothing to worry about".  I came back later after practice and it was worse and said i didn't feel comfortable racing on this and insisted he change it.  He stated, "i'll do it once, but if the other does it, your on your own".  Thankfully, the next one was fine.  Oh, he also stated, "I should be running the newest model".

brent

Super Dave

This was happening in 1987 when I started racing with Dunlop K591's.  It isn't a problem.

If you want, change to Michelin's.  That's what I use.  Thank you, Tom Mason...
Super Dave

Dawn

QuoteIf you want, change to Michelin's.  That's what I use.  Thank you, Tom Mason...

Personally - if Paul's tire isn't perfect, he's not going out on it.  He runs Michelins too.

Dawn   :)