News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Is racing getting too fast?

Started by Baltobuell, June 27, 2003, 10:39:09 AM

MightyDuc Racing

It's been fast for a long time.  The TZ750's were incredibly fast, ask Henry.  Too fast?  This is racing, not golf.  However, if the safety levels at the tracks get too bad because of run-off, etc, that's different.  Guys crash at Bonneville at 200+ mph and come away virtually unscathed quite often because they don't hit anything solid.  It's an incredibly tough question to truly answer.  I personally am very happy riding my 140-150mph race bike, but know that I need to be on a faster bike if I ever hope to make a living doing this.  These are the choices we as racers, and all of the pros have to make.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Wemmer#930

I have to agree with 'MightyDuc Racing'.
This is racing. Motorcycle Racing not Nascar. You can't even compair the 2. Motorcycle racing is all about going fast and then when you've gone fast you turn it up a notch and go faster. In Nascar you go fast and they come up with restrictions to keep you from going faster. The hole point of racing is for the awesome rush you get from going fast and then being able to say that you beat "so 'n' so's" time.
Peronaly I like the long sweepers (Heartland Park in Topeeka, KS).
My 2 cents.
Wemmer
#93 AM

Baltobuell

You're right, no doubt. I'm just thinking more spectators and less carnage might improve the sport. A huge amount of people quit after a serious accident. A huge amount quit after seeing a friend have a serious accident. To come and watch sucks since you can't see, so they end up going to the drags for something to do.
 As far as runoffs, most tracks don't have 230 feet so Mr Moore was lucky.
 The whole thought would get laughed out of Europe, they still run the Isle of whats an airfence man. Serious lunacy, but I'm sure it's a rush.

K3 Chris Onwiler

I was standing there at a race bul$#itting with some friends about the Isle of Mann.  I said that I'd never race there for a million dollars.  At this point, my teammate Dave yells over, "Hey K3, Suzuki just called.  They want you to run the Isle of Mann."  I said, "Excuse me guys, I've got to take this call..." ;D
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

MightyDuc Racing

I plan on getting there to watch someday, that's for sure.  I would probably race there given the opportunity, but I doubt I'd run as hard as those maniacs...lol.  I'd rather race the Macau GP if I had a choice.  I'd rather attend as a spectator the TT, though.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Litespeed

I started racing 125's this year instead of my 600 or RC51 because it was more fun.  I am also finding that I can run pretty close lap times without the high speeds on the straight away.  Also, if I do fall off the bike I would much rather worry about a 150 lb object chasing me instead of a 400+ lb one.  I think everyone should get a 125 so they can feel as safe as I do  ;D.  Oh yeah, I am hoping to race the Isle of Mann eventually and think the 125 would be the perfect bike there too...

MightyDuc Racing

On the other hand...corner speeds tend to be much higher on a 125, and most of the crashes take place in a corner.  Thus the crashes on a 125 are usually at a higher speed...am I right?
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors: