News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Serious question...

Started by MightyDuc Racing, June 23, 2003, 05:43:42 PM

MightyDuc Racing

What does it take to open a dealership, anybody know?  Anybody here ever owned one or looked into it?  There isn't a Ducati dealership within 100 miles of my area, and there is a LOT of money to be spent around here (Naples, Sanibel, Marco Island).  I think I could probably drum up the investors, but I'm not sure where to start.  Opinions?
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

MELK-MAN

you havent taken a good look at my signature lately...
They have (to be when the rest of the remodel is done) the largest Ducati dealership in the country..yes, the country..they bought a move theatre complex and are converting each moviplex into a "theme" room. 1 room will have watercraft, another willhave construction equipmet, another will have polaris generators and otherstuff, of course tons of Ducs and Victory bikes are on display now, in addition to gasgas dirt bikes..
   WHat it takes?? im not sure but i would imagine lots o' cash and a good business plan to present to Ducati or any other mfg.
good luck MD.. i see entreprenurial wheels turning..or just a place you can get your bike fixed cheap!  ;D
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

ReneGSXR

I thought the only people that lived in Marco island, Sanibel and Naples were over the age of 65 ;D

MightyDuc Racing

Melka...do me a favor and just kinda ask around to the high ups you know there without telling them where I am considering it, please.  I'd really appreciate it.  Not looking for a big one, just a small one that the area can grow into.  Maybe Ducati/Aprilia.  Rene...all those old farts have moved their kids and grand kids down here...lol.  They start dying and leave their estates to younger peeps.  A couple of my best friends live on Sanibel.  A BMW dealership just opened here and is doing great, and I think a lot of it has to do with these chumps around here buying them as "status symbols".  I'm gonna start on a biz plan, but have never done one before and can use all the help and experience I can get.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

MELK-MAN

just so ya know, the principle partner that opened this dealer here was very wealthy to start. Im not lucky enough to rub elbows with him. He wasnt looking to turn a big profit rather he just didnt want to be bored after selling a company and loves motorcycles. You and I unfortunatly gotta work for a living..rats. I will find out what i can though.
see ya..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

MightyDuc Racing

Thanks Melk...there's lots of money in this area to be had from investors, it just takes finding them...lol.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

ReneGSXR

I was just messing with ya..lol I was down in Fort Meyers a couple of weeks ago and was suprised just how much that area has grown. I hadnt been there in years before just recently. I have a friend that just opened up a motorcycle parts store about a year ago, he started working out of his house and quickly opened up the store and his buisness just keeps growing so i think no matter what type of dealership you want to open it would do good.

MightyDuc Racing

What did he do to get started Rene?  Do you know?  Also, what kind of parts does he do?  Might have to start like that and then get into the motorcycle sales, but man we need a Ducati store here.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

sdiver68

I don't know the details (brands, size, etc..), but one of the small dealers around here is for sale, for around $200K + 90K in inventory.  Leased space is $2100/month for about 13,000 SF

Another one available in Cincinati, OH area is also asking about $200K + inventory...with $500K in inventory and an additional 750K (18,000 SF) if you want to buy the real estate.

The SBA can help you with your business plan, financing, etc....but you'll typically need at least $50K of your OWN capital..and many times the best financing is seller financing.

Here, follow this link for an idea of what established businesses are going for:

http://www.bizbuysell.com/cgi-bin/mysearch?s=XX&k=motorcycle&i=&p=2&f=0&n=&g=&w=f

MCRA Race School Instructor

ReneGSXR

QuoteWhat did he do to get started Rene?  Do you know?  Also, what kind of parts does he do?  Might have to start like that and then get into the motorcycle sales, but man we need a Ducati store here.
he and his wife have always worked in the the motorcycle industry (P3 Racing, Palmetto Motosports, Harley Davidson of West Palm Beach) so they already had customers that knew them for sometime, they just decided to give it a shot at selling parts from home and in less than a year they had to open up a store cause they were moving alot more parts than they were able to handle from there house. They are now working on opening up a service shop cause he's been doing alot of that from his garage at home also. The motorcycle industry is really still a growing sport or hobby thats just starting to grow more and more every year and the potential to make $$$ out of it is very good no matter how you go (internet sales, retail store, performance shop or dealer).

motard11

Duc,  I admire your spirit!! Im sure you have heard this before if not here goes.... Starting a business is more than a huge indevor and once started it never stops... You have to be willing to to put your heart and soul into it .. the scarafice is huge... The most important and valueable thing in life is TIME and the amount of time you would have to invest is insane. I have seen good people turn bad atempting a new business takeing great risks. You have also to think of your family and there time as well, this can ruin a marrige or other relations.  Im sure this all ways on your mind. The best advice in life is BALLANCE !!    I started a new business 5 or more years ago and I have been very blessed. However every day I struggle with ballance. It is atanible... The choice will always be yours. Lastly I will say I rember how nice it was to get off work and not think about it till after the weekend. There is something to be said about haveing a job, instead of being the job.   You seem like a smart guy and I know you will be ok. Make choices believe in yourself and enjoy each day as if it was your last.  Use your time wisely as none of us gets enough........Motard11 :-*

MightyDuc Racing

Yeah...I just am not sure of what to do right now.  This new job isn't going so well (have yet to make a dime) and would love to be in the motorcycle industry.  Unfortunately, it seems the only way to afford to be in the cycle industry and keep my lifestyle is to be an owner.  That sucks.  I would like to write for RRW or Cycle News or whoever, but not for $25-$30K....can't live on that.  Just a tough time for me.  I have also been advised by a current Ducati dealer that the way to go would be repairs and parts/accesories, not a dealership.  Hmmmmm...
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors: