Evans Cooling:   anyone have any experience?

Started by duc995@aol.com, June 19, 2003, 10:25:36 AM

rrwantr

Had it in my F3...now running water wetter and water which is running about 20 deg cooler as some trackdays would not allow evans...

duc995@aol.com

So you're saying that it didn't seem to work as specified?

GSXR RACER MIKE

I have Evans NPG in my bikes and have absolutely no complaints so far. If you read the website technical section on this stuff it is very impressive. I like the fact that it doesn't have to be removed in the winter, it's good for the life of the vehicle, and it doesn't begin to boil till something like 370*. The idea that it doesn't allow a steam layer to form on the hot surfaces within your engine, as is the problem with water based coolants, makes sense as to why this stuff transfers heat more effectively. Since this stuff is constantly in contact with the metal in your engine and not a steam layer (which transfers heat very poorly) what you are seeing on your temp gage is more representative of the actual temperature within your engine.

I used Evans for the 1st time last year at MAM during the event where it reached 100* outside temperature. I don't have the fan on my bike and I sat at pit out for like 10 minutes with the bike running and it didn't even phase it. During the races that day the bike never really went over 190* and the only time it was above that was when we were sitting still.

It's very important that you follow the proper flushing process when you first switch over to Evans NPG. This will require buying an extra gallon of the stuff, but if you get a couple buddies to do it at the same time as you they can use that gallon to flush their bikes out as well (so you can split the extra $25 between you). I also think there is some type of a discount if you purchase a few gallons of the stuff at once?

Well worth the 1 time investment in my opinion!
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

duc995@aol.com

Thanks for the report.  I was wondering, after reading the technical info on the web site, if the higher viscosity would cause an HP robbing drain on the water pump?  Much like the idea of running a lighter oil, or a lighter oil pressure (ala the cheating factory supersport teams in recent AMA news) to gain a few hp on the track.  Just a theoretical question.

Racing in AZ can be brutal in over 100 F temps with the bikes spewing water left and right!  You can almost sit back and wait for your adversaries to overheat and then take the win!

Gumby647

The down side to the stuff is that it is very slipery almost as bad as regular coolant. Just because the rule book alows it doesn't make it a good thing.

If boil over is a problem you can get higher pressure radiator caps. Pressure helps the water resist boiling.

Jeff

higher boiling point with 0 pressure will also help...  Such is what is offered from Evans.

I've been running evans for years, and the stuff is fantastic.

If you're running evans and you're higher than with water/water wetter, I'd pull your thermostat or bleed your system again.

As for the change in viscosity, it thickens around 10deg F, and gets jelly like around -30F.  I've never had a problem with it taxing my water pump or anything.

IMHO, the stuff can't be beat...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

duc995@aol.com

Jef4y:  Thanks...

I have felt other propylene glycol solutions with my own two hands (fingers actually ;D) and the solution feels just like water and isn't slick like ethylene glycol.  For race organizations to specifically ban ethylene glycol and not glycols specifically must mean the CCS/WERA/AMA don't have any technical/safety issues with them ending up on the track.

Super Dave

I think they have some issues with the stuff.  It propylene glycol does work, but it is basically like oil on the track.  But, unlike ethelene glycol, it can be cleaned off the track with water.  That's what makes it legal.
Super Dave

lightsmith

You guys are right on with the posts.  Propylene Glycol cleans up nicely, unlike Ethylene Glycol.  It also doesn't eat holes in pavement which is another reason why EG is often banned.  The higher viscocity can cause some issues in specific applications.  If the thermostaaat is of the bypass type (RC51 I think), the bypass should be plugged to avoid the coolant short-cicuiting past the radiator.  Removing the thermostat is almost always a good idea because a higher flow rate is preferred.  Conventional thinking says that you need to slow the flow for the coolant to have time to cool in the radiator. This is false.  Cooling is actually more efficient at higher temperatures.  More heat is removed to the air when the coolant temp is, say, 190 than when it is 150 because of the greater difference in temps.  This means that the faster you circulate coolant, the more heat is removed from the engine.  Some bikes can act a little funny, though.  The R6 seems to run hotter.  The theory why this is has to do with the oil cooler and thermostat.  The thermostat restricts flow through the engine and the oil cooler gives an alternat route back to the radiator that skips the engine block.  I think here it is very important to remove the T-stat.