News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Gateway Stories

Started by Dawn, June 16, 2003, 11:52:47 AM

Dawn

OK everyone....

Since I could not attend the Gateway event, let me know how your weekend went.  Inquiring minds want to know!  

Dawn   ;D

Chef

QuoteOK everyone....

Since I could not attend the Gateway event,.....
   ;D  

Yeah,which Amatuers won what....??

I hear that there were some locals (a # 45 ???) who took a win or two....  and someone on a 89' 750 in am thunderbike...
     (but he was chasing tshort, who i hear was just on fire!!!)

so, come on with it! bad enuff we missed it....
dont hide it, devide it  ;D

gtu gto ugp mgp uss hss mss hsb wsb spb....

40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

tigerblade

I got another 5th (AM) in Supertwins.  I really wasn't running well that race.  I ran 2 seconds a lap faster in HWSS but the bike died before the end.   :-/

Thankfully the only hairy thing in my races was someone losing a chain right before T1 in the Supertwins race.  

Half of the Columbia guys crashed but all were okay.  Corey Vaughniaux (sp?) from our group won MW Superbike.

Who was taking pics this weekend?  It wasn't Jack was it?
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

SliderPhoto

QuoteWho was taking pics this weekend?  It wasn't Jack was it?

Nope, not me. Sorry I missed you Kris!

tshort

QuoteI got another 5th (AM) in Supertwins. .... Thankfully the only hairy thing in my races was someone losing a chain right before T1 in the Supertwins race.  

QuoteHey Kris - so that was *you* on the RC51??!  Aha - I was on the yellow SV - was working on you for a few laps before I finally found a hole and dove through.  Couldn't quite catch that Duc, tho - then I found out he wasn't a 748 - he was a 996....sheesh.  

Yeah, that chain laying in the track on the start was kinda interesting - more interesting was looking at it, trying to figure out what the heck it was - and then, after working that out, trying to figure out who I was going to have to avoid in T1 !!!  Oh yeah, baby, big fun :o  That was a good race.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

OmniGLH

Ya I wanna know what happened this weekend too in Am.

Did Brian Hall sweep everything in Am HW and UL classes?

Tom - did your buddy Bentz show up? ;D ;)  I noticed he wasn't at BHF last time around....
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

tshort

QuoteOK everyone....

Since I could not attend the Gateway event, let me know how your weekend went.  Inquiring minds want to know!  

Dawn   ;D

Well aren't you kinda married to someone who was there?? ??? ::) ;D

We had brilliant weather and the track came in early Saturday morning from being wet all night - once the puddles were cleared.  There were still some "weepers" (hadn't ever heard of those before), whereby the ground, being so saturated with rain, pushes water up through cracks in the pavement.  

There's a back stretch on the track between the two NASCAR sections, that goes into the infield.  It's about as wide as a sidewalk, and you take it pretty much flat out, with a knee down.  There was a weeper in there, along with dirt at the entry, making for some pretty demanding line choosing.  

It took me a while to figure out the race line, especially in T6, decreasing radius right hander.  But once that got sorted out my times got a good bit quicker.  And as Rick Breuer said, this track, being anticlockwise, was good for "unscrewing"...going the other way.  I managed to get a second life out of my tires, which were pretty worn on the right side-  got to use up the like-new left side  :D  How cool was that??  Gotta love it.  They should make the schedule alternate tracks between clockwise and anticlockwise....

Results?  I either won or I didn't.  Six races, three firsts, a third, and two fourths.  One of the fouths was due to a pileup early in the GT race - a 125 guy thought he could pass me and another SV on the inside, ended up collecting the SV.  I stood it up, ran off track into mud city, kept it upright and got back on track.  But waaay too late to ever catch the pack again.  Was leading the Ams in that one, too... :-/

Got pipped at the finish line in LW GP by "The Hammer" - he was back there in third, staying close, and I didn't know he was there.  On the last lap I got just a teeny tad off the gas right before the line, and who comes flying by me but Hammerschmidt on his SV.  It wasn't quite a photofinish, but it wasn't even half a bike length either.  Oh well - third ain't crashing...  Lesson:  on the last lap race to T1!!

Overall it was a great weekend of racing - and nice to not crash...  except for when Paul rear-ended me in Tech...I asked if they'd DQ him for that, but they didn't.  Maybe next time... ;) ;D ;D

Flip missed seeing you there, Dawn.  And you, too, Ike.  C'mon guys - get back wit da program now.  

Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

cabbage996

Tshort the supertwins race was good!  Until I crashed that is.  If you were up on Tigerblade you may have seen me bin it.  You guys pretty much left me in the LWSS race.  I was just trying to finish that one.  I had a sweet shift lever made from the broken one and a bolt.  I'll get you all at MAM!!!  

tshort

QuoteTshort the supertwins race was good!  Until I crashed that is.  If you were up on Tigerblade you may have seen my bin it.  You guys pretty much left me in the LWSS race.  I was just trying to finish that one.  I had a sweet shift lever made from the broken on and a bolt.  I'll get you all at MAM!!!  

No, I didn't see you go down, but I probably saw you/your bike laying on the track - there were so many crashes I can't keep them all straight.  Yeah, for some reason the LWSS race really got cooking.  I was chasing Key for the last half of it.  

Re MAM - BRING IT!! :D
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Dawn

QuoteWell aren't you kinda married to someone who was there?? ??? ::) ;D

Overall it was a great weekend of racing - and nice to not crash...  except for when Paul rear-ended me in Tech...I asked if they'd DQ him for that, but they didn't.  Maybe next time... ;) ;D ;D

Flip missed seeing you there, Dawn.  And you, too, Ike.  C'mon guys - get back wit da program now.  

LOL!!!

Yes, I am married to someone who was there, but he got in a 5:00 a.m. this morning and I put him right to bed so he could get a few hours of sleep before he went off to work.

All I know is that Paul got the following:
Thunderbike - 3rd
LW Super Sport - 3rd
LW Super Bike - 5th

I will get more updates from him this evening.  

However, I want to know how everyone did!

Dawn   :)

tigerblade

Yep, that was me on the "stealth" RC51.  Don't worry about Cabbage; he was just riding over his head is all.   ;D  I was beating that damn Ducati in the HWSS race before I had to retire.    :'(
Younger Oil Racing

tigerblade

QuoteNope, not me. Sorry I missed you Kris!

Are you going to be at MAM in July?
Younger Oil Racing

cabbage996

I may indeed have been running over my head, but I'm proud of my 1:15.5.  So what kind of times did you turn tigerblade?  Oh according to the ccs transponders in my first race lap one took 5 hours and 39 minutes!  

Dawn

QuoteI may indeed have been running over my head, but I'm proud of my 1:15.5.  So what kind of times did you turn tigerblade?  Oh according to the ccs transponders in my first race lap one took 5 hours and 39 minutes!  

LOL!!!!

Ding - Ding

Dawn  <hee hee heee>    ;D

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteLOL!!!

Yes, I am married to someone who was there, but he got in a 5:00 a.m. this morning and I put him right to bed so he could get a few hours of sleep before he went off to work.

Did he tell you about the strip clubs?  Boy, that East St. Louis is better than Vegas! ;D
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Dawn

QuoteDid he tell you about the strip clubs?  Boy, that East St. Louis is better than Vegas! ;D

OOoooooo.....  you little stinker!  

Trying to get me riled up are you?  >:( ;) :D

It's not going to work.  You boys are too old to have any energy for those type of establishments.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Dawn   ;)

Super_KC124

I heard there was a sandbagger who started on the back row and took 5th in the GTU race. ;D

Dawn

QuoteI heard there was a sandbagger who started on the back row and took 5th in the GTU race. ;D

That sandbagger must have been you!

Good job!

Dawn   ;)

r1owner

QuoteI heard there was a sandbagger who started on the back row and took 5th in the GTU race. ;D

Yeah, he was definitely sandbagging ;), I was in 5th like 4 corners away on the last lap until he passed me!  :P

Another of my most memorable moments was watching the guy go down in turn 7 (GTU AM I think it was) two bikes in front of me.  I ended up splitting the area between him and his bike!  :o

tigerblade

QuoteI may indeed have been running over my head, but I'm proud of my 1:15.5.  So what kind of times did you turn tigerblade?  Oh according to the ccs transponders in my first race lap one took 5 hours and 39 minutes!  

I'll admit that MAM is more of an RC51 track if you'll admit Gateway favors the SV.   8)
Younger Oil Racing

r1owner

QuoteBoy, that East St. Louis is better than Vegas! ;D

I can vouch for that!!! :) :o

Super_KC124

QuoteYeah, he was definitely sandbagging ;), I was in 5th like 4 corners away on the last lap until he passed me!  :P

Another of my most memorable moments was watching the guy go down in turn 7 (GTU AM I think it was) two bikes in front of me.  I ended up splitting the area between him and his bike!  :o

How did you see the pass I made in turn 7 on #690? I say I showed a wheel and he turned into me. He says I took away his line. Paint was swapped a couple times and I backed out. I did pass him in turn 8 and stayed ahead across the line.
Which guy were you talking about? The one that high sided coming out of 7 or the one that lowsided in the middle of turn 7? I about ran over the lowsiding guys head! :o I was at full lean and had to get on the brakes to keep from hitting him. :o  :o What bike were you on? Not the wheelie machine?? ;D

SliderPhoto

QuoteAre you going to be at MAM in July?

Nope, sorry. You going this weekend for Star? Wish I could go. I told my wife that would be a great Father's day present.  ::)

r1owner

QuoteHow did you see the pass I made in turn 7 on #690? I say I showed a wheel and he turned into me. He says I took away his line. Paint was swapped a couple times and I backed out. I did pass him in turn 8 and stayed ahead across the line.
Which guy were you talking about? The one that high sided coming out of 7 or the one that lowsided in the middle of turn 7? I about ran over the lowsiding guys head! :o I was at full lean and had to get on the brakes to keep from hitting him. :o  :o What bike were you on? Not the wheelie machine?? ;D

To be honest, I vaguely remember the T7 incident.  I had the same thing happen later in the race.  If he was taking a conservative line, and diving in, he might not have seen you until you were commited.  At least that is what happened to me in that same turn.  I was taking the conservative line, and bumped into a dude outbraking me.  I didn't know he was there until we were both commited.  I talked to him the next day, and (unlike your partner, if I remember correctly) he was real cool about it.

Yeah, that was the low side (I think, yellow bike?)) on the first lap.  I must have been just behind you (2 bikes maybe) then.  That must have been how I got past you till you caught me.

Yes, I was the wheelie machine that race!  :-[  HEHE..  I hurt a nut (and not one on the bike) when it landed!  :P  I did make up for that start in the rest of my races though, pulling past at least 1.5 rows ahead on the start from then on out.  At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Super_KC124

You did pass me after the stunt action off the line. ;D I was behind you for the highside crash and in front of you on the lowside one. Your right about my turn 7 incedent. I got a good drive out of 6 and went straight to the inside. He made a real abrupt dive into the corner. He probably didn't see me at first. That was fine. What pissed me off, was when he did see me he wouldn't give me any room. I was allready on the inside of him. Oh well, I kind of did the same thing last year to one of the Lacavich's. Except he was passing me on the outside going into 3. My lack of experienced showed and I couldn't tighten up my line. He ran off the track but stayed upright and passed me a lap later. You shouldn't pass on the outside in turn 3. I'll take 50% of the blame on that one. ;D (He told someone I T-Boned him. ;D)

tigerblade

QuoteNope, sorry. You going this weekend for Star? Wish I could go. I told my wife that would be a great Father's day present.  ::)

I'm signed up for Saturday and might try to go Sunday too.  I need the help!  I'd like to do one of Super Dave's schools too but he's too far away!   :-/
Younger Oil Racing

Super Dave

Too far away?  I have people coming from the east coast.  Knowledge is power.  What will it cost you to learn?  Took me years and years of racing and easily hundreds of thousands of dollars.  And you can dirve 500 miles and pay less then $300 for some knowledge...  

You can take the time off and do it...  or hope that you learn it on your own. ::)

My Gateway was ok.  Four thirds and one fifth (ULGP) on a borrowed bike.  I feel like I don't have any of the serious balance problems that I had last year, and my hearing is still ok in my right ear.  Hope to have my R6 back again soon.
Super Dave

2002zx6r

Ike, Sorry you missed the weekend at gateway.  Man what a tough track.  Not a lot of places to pass.  As far as number 45 (am).  That dude was fast until he decided to highside coming down to nascar pit lane.  I was right behind him.  WOW.  I think someone got it on tape.  
talk at you later (171 am)  The one riding the 2002 green ax6r.   Dwayne.

tigerblade

QuoteToo far away?  I have people coming from the east coast.  Knowledge is power.  What will it cost you to learn?  Took me years and years of racing and easily hundreds of thousands of dollars.  And you can dirve 500 miles and pay less then $300 for some knowledge...  

You can take the time off and do it...  or hope that you learn it on your own. ::)

Sheesh Dave.   ;D  I'll get up there sometime.  I've got your site bookmarked.  I'm going to Laguna so I can't make the 17th date but I'll try to hit the September one.
Younger Oil Racing

Speedballer347

everyone's laptimes dropped about 3 seconds on their onboard timers :D ....ahhhh, the magic of two beacons placed on the front straight ;D
The printed transponder times on Sunday brought reality back :-/

Weekend highlight for me was getting to see Super_Dave, Gorden and a couple others going into T1 on-fire....looked insane, intense, and scary.

Good to finally make it back to the track and see everyone again since the first round at BHF's.
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

tigerblade

Erik,

I haven't had a chance to look at the video we have yet.  I'll let you know if we got anything good.   ;)
Younger Oil Racing

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteIt's not going to work.  You boys are too old to have any energy for those type of establishments.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Dawn   ;)
Paul's most frequently repeated line for the weekend.  "K3, are you asleep?"  My response, "Uh huh."  I wasn't ready for that heat!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

Dawn

QuotePaul's most frequently repeated line for the weekend.  "K3, are you asleep?"  My response, "Uh huh."  I wasn't ready for that heat!

LOL!!!

If you had enough gas you could have run the generator all night and then run the air conditioning.  If you get too hot at BHF, let us know, we could find a place for you to bunk.

Dawn   :)

Super Dave

QuoteSheesh Dave.   ;D  I'll get up there sometime.  I've got your site bookmarked.  I'm going to Laguna so I can't make the 17th date but I'll try to hit the September one.

Excuses, excuses.  I'll be at Laguna.  I have to teach the school.   ;D

And K3, Topeka and MAM will be warmer and more humid probably.  Hotel rooms for those places...
Super Dave

tigerblade

QuoteExcuses, excuses.  I'll be at Laguna.  I have to teach the school.   ;D

Hey I was cheering #26 on this weekend.  Gimme a break.   8)

Younger Oil Racing

GKing

Quoteeveryone's laptimes dropped about 3 seconds on their onboard timers :D ....ahhhh, the magic of two beacons placed on the front straight ;D
The printed transponder times on Sunday brought reality back :-/

If you set a minimum lap time on your on-board timer that is 10 seconds than what you expect to run there can be 20 timers on the front straight and some on the back and they won't affect your timer.  I know the XT Ultra timer has this function.  It also has a maximum lap time.   ::)

sdiver68

QuoteIf you set a minimum lap time on your on-board timer that is 10 seconds than what you expect to run there can be 20 timers on the front straight and some on the back and they won't affect your timer.  I know the XT Ultra timer has this function.  It also has a maximum lap time.   ::)

That's true, but its also true that the timer misses a beacon on occasion.  Unless your XT Ultra is different from mine.  If not, than I have some track records as well, I think I have a 1:18 at Gingerman on my timer.  ;D  Anyway, Larry the tech guy for CCS told me when Larry Denning was trying to set a track record at BHF last month, they were required to have 3 separate timers on him.

Sunday's transponder times at Gateway were quite a bit different from what several people were saying on Saturday.  I've emailed CCS for those transponder times.
MCRA Race School Instructor

GKing

???  If the timer misses a beacon wouldn't that extend your time.  If it starts on beacon A, goes past beacon B then misses A on the next time around but picks up B your lap time would be longer.  If it starts on B and then ends the time on A it would give you a faster time.  If your fast lap is the sixth and eighth lap skipping a beacon just doesn't compute to give you a faster time.

This would all be moot if the transponders were more reliable.  Anybody know what the problem was?  Electronic?  Users?  Mechanical?  

Super Dave

User...

It's always user... ;D
Super Dave

GKing

QuoteUser...

It's always user... ;D

The guys at work call that an ID ten T error.

Also spelled ID10T

r1owner

Here is a vid of the crash.  Sorry for the crappy quality.  The actual vid is nice, but my SW to capture is not that great.

Also, not the highest bandwidth out of my house.  If someone has some high-speed, feel free to move it there.

K3 Chris Onwiler

:o Guess I'm lucky to have gotten away so easy! :o

tigerblade

You forgot to bow.   ;)
Younger Oil Racing

EX#996

Chris,

With all that smoke rolling off your rear I guess you can say you have a really "Hot Ass"

Dawn   ;D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Gixxer124

That's from too much beer and brats. ;D Hey, my 500th post. ;D