News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Gateway Stories

Started by Dawn, June 16, 2003, 11:52:47 AM

Dawn

OK everyone....

Since I could not attend the Gateway event, let me know how your weekend went.  Inquiring minds want to know!  

Dawn   ;D

Chef

QuoteOK everyone....

Since I could not attend the Gateway event,.....
   ;D  

Yeah,which Amatuers won what....??

I hear that there were some locals (a # 45 ???) who took a win or two....  and someone on a 89' 750 in am thunderbike...
     (but he was chasing tshort, who i hear was just on fire!!!)

so, come on with it! bad enuff we missed it....
dont hide it, devide it  ;D

gtu gto ugp mgp uss hss mss hsb wsb spb....

40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

tigerblade

I got another 5th (AM) in Supertwins.  I really wasn't running well that race.  I ran 2 seconds a lap faster in HWSS but the bike died before the end.   :-/

Thankfully the only hairy thing in my races was someone losing a chain right before T1 in the Supertwins race.  

Half of the Columbia guys crashed but all were okay.  Corey Vaughniaux (sp?) from our group won MW Superbike.

Who was taking pics this weekend?  It wasn't Jack was it?
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

SliderPhoto

QuoteWho was taking pics this weekend?  It wasn't Jack was it?

Nope, not me. Sorry I missed you Kris!

tshort

QuoteI got another 5th (AM) in Supertwins. .... Thankfully the only hairy thing in my races was someone losing a chain right before T1 in the Supertwins race.  

QuoteHey Kris - so that was *you* on the RC51??!  Aha - I was on the yellow SV - was working on you for a few laps before I finally found a hole and dove through.  Couldn't quite catch that Duc, tho - then I found out he wasn't a 748 - he was a 996....sheesh.  

Yeah, that chain laying in the track on the start was kinda interesting - more interesting was looking at it, trying to figure out what the heck it was - and then, after working that out, trying to figure out who I was going to have to avoid in T1 !!!  Oh yeah, baby, big fun :o  That was a good race.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

OmniGLH

Ya I wanna know what happened this weekend too in Am.

Did Brian Hall sweep everything in Am HW and UL classes?

Tom - did your buddy Bentz show up? ;D ;)  I noticed he wasn't at BHF last time around....
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

tshort

QuoteOK everyone....

Since I could not attend the Gateway event, let me know how your weekend went.  Inquiring minds want to know!  

Dawn   ;D

Well aren't you kinda married to someone who was there?? ??? ::) ;D

We had brilliant weather and the track came in early Saturday morning from being wet all night - once the puddles were cleared.  There were still some "weepers" (hadn't ever heard of those before), whereby the ground, being so saturated with rain, pushes water up through cracks in the pavement.  

There's a back stretch on the track between the two NASCAR sections, that goes into the infield.  It's about as wide as a sidewalk, and you take it pretty much flat out, with a knee down.  There was a weeper in there, along with dirt at the entry, making for some pretty demanding line choosing.  

It took me a while to figure out the race line, especially in T6, decreasing radius right hander.  But once that got sorted out my times got a good bit quicker.  And as Rick Breuer said, this track, being anticlockwise, was good for "unscrewing"...going the other way.  I managed to get a second life out of my tires, which were pretty worn on the right side-  got to use up the like-new left side  :D  How cool was that??  Gotta love it.  They should make the schedule alternate tracks between clockwise and anticlockwise....

Results?  I either won or I didn't.  Six races, three firsts, a third, and two fourths.  One of the fouths was due to a pileup early in the GT race - a 125 guy thought he could pass me and another SV on the inside, ended up collecting the SV.  I stood it up, ran off track into mud city, kept it upright and got back on track.  But waaay too late to ever catch the pack again.  Was leading the Ams in that one, too... :-/

Got pipped at the finish line in LW GP by "The Hammer" - he was back there in third, staying close, and I didn't know he was there.  On the last lap I got just a teeny tad off the gas right before the line, and who comes flying by me but Hammerschmidt on his SV.  It wasn't quite a photofinish, but it wasn't even half a bike length either.  Oh well - third ain't crashing...  Lesson:  on the last lap race to T1!!

Overall it was a great weekend of racing - and nice to not crash...  except for when Paul rear-ended me in Tech...I asked if they'd DQ him for that, but they didn't.  Maybe next time... ;) ;D ;D

Flip missed seeing you there, Dawn.  And you, too, Ike.  C'mon guys - get back wit da program now.  

Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

cabbage996

Tshort the supertwins race was good!  Until I crashed that is.  If you were up on Tigerblade you may have seen me bin it.  You guys pretty much left me in the LWSS race.  I was just trying to finish that one.  I had a sweet shift lever made from the broken one and a bolt.  I'll get you all at MAM!!!  

tshort

QuoteTshort the supertwins race was good!  Until I crashed that is.  If you were up on Tigerblade you may have seen my bin it.  You guys pretty much left me in the LWSS race.  I was just trying to finish that one.  I had a sweet shift lever made from the broken on and a bolt.  I'll get you all at MAM!!!  

No, I didn't see you go down, but I probably saw you/your bike laying on the track - there were so many crashes I can't keep them all straight.  Yeah, for some reason the LWSS race really got cooking.  I was chasing Key for the last half of it.  

Re MAM - BRING IT!! :D
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Dawn

QuoteWell aren't you kinda married to someone who was there?? ??? ::) ;D

Overall it was a great weekend of racing - and nice to not crash...  except for when Paul rear-ended me in Tech...I asked if they'd DQ him for that, but they didn't.  Maybe next time... ;) ;D ;D

Flip missed seeing you there, Dawn.  And you, too, Ike.  C'mon guys - get back wit da program now.  

LOL!!!

Yes, I am married to someone who was there, but he got in a 5:00 a.m. this morning and I put him right to bed so he could get a few hours of sleep before he went off to work.

All I know is that Paul got the following:
Thunderbike - 3rd
LW Super Sport - 3rd
LW Super Bike - 5th

I will get more updates from him this evening.  

However, I want to know how everyone did!

Dawn   :)

tigerblade

Yep, that was me on the "stealth" RC51.  Don't worry about Cabbage; he was just riding over his head is all.   ;D  I was beating that damn Ducati in the HWSS race before I had to retire.    :'(
Younger Oil Racing

tigerblade

QuoteNope, not me. Sorry I missed you Kris!

Are you going to be at MAM in July?
Younger Oil Racing