Loves and Hates

Started by Simon, June 04, 2002, 07:45:00 AM

Simon

Baking in the sun, dripping in the rain, shivering in the cold. As cornerworkers what are your favorite, and least favorite, things about working at the track?
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
Always in the gravel, one way or another!
www.marrc.org

FoodCrewMARRC

least favorite thing is being a flagger and have someone crash just prior to the flag station. pretty helpless feeling.

most favorite thing is when a racer thanks me for being there..makes it all worthwhile...(and an ocassional flash from a female spectator... ;D)

sportbikepete

Worst feeling is after all that coffee is in the morning and water in the afternoon and not being able to "whip it out" because national T.V. is filming. I still don't know how I made it.

RandyD

I'm with EmerWill, being on flags right next to a crash.  The natural instinct is to run and help, but you've got to stay with the flags to communicate to the guys that are still racing.  The plus side is if there is a backup flagger, they can go help and leave the primary on station.

The loves are obvious, seeing good racing, and seeing a rider get up from a bad crash!

Woofentino Pugrossi

What I hate cornerworking is hearing a few racers bitch about the cornerworking. If they dont like it, why dont they come out and do it for a weekend (like bitching about not throwing a flag when the crash is before your corner).
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Jennifer

I've been corner working nearly half of my life and the best thing about it for me is the sheer adrenaline rush that I get watching a really good race and being able to trust those that I work with.  To be honest it is addicting.  The worst part being out there is not so much the wear and tear on me as it is watching the people you have come to know over the years crash or worse ....get severely injured.  

I tell all those I work with or train that even though corner working is fun and exciting to do, we all have a responsibility.........If you aren't here for the riders, you may as well go home.

Seapup

Favorites:  The feeling of team satisfaction after having participated in the perfect cleanup of a spectacular multiple bike incident.  It's like being part of a perfect triple play in baseball.  That big stupid grin on your face just won't go away.

When racers and sanctioning body officials take the time to personally give us their sincere thanks while we stuff our faces full of yummy food.

When you get to the point that you know a racer is going to crash in front of you before the racer knows it.

Paddock parties!

Least favorites:  When a racer is too embarrassed to admit that he/she screwed up and proclaims that he/she crashed because there was oil or debris in your turn and you didn't have a flag up.

When the racer that crashed in front of you is a cornerworker.

Med-Evacs.

Ticks and West Virginia no-see-ums, a.k.a. Flying Teeth.