News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

GP's CCS racer, street-Crash vid...

Started by Speedballer347, June 05, 2003, 11:52:15 PM

r6_philly

I wasnt going to comment, but I had to say something

Stupid is a word of perspective. For racers to call stunting stupid is --- well stupid.

I am sitting here with injuries from a racing accident. It was not my fault, so I can only say that racing is dangerous. To take part in an activity that I like, or even love, even though it is dangerous, is it stupid?

I used to think the same way, one's activities should not affect others. But it does. It happened to me. Do you suggest we all run time trials intead of racing together so one won't knock another one down?

A bicyclist accepts the risk when he gets on his bike, just as I get on the track. Stunting in public may be violating laws, but what are laws? rules that protect the public. How many rules do you see broken each race? How many stupid things do you see? Do you go and tell each and everyone in the paddock that they are stupid and participating in a stupid accitivies?

If you are not going to call racers stupid, then don't call stunters stupid. They go and do what they love, it is their pursue of THEIR happiness, let them be.

They should try not to run into others, but it happens, just like on the track. Each one of my fellow racers endangers me at any given time, so do I. Do we tell everyone who has ever ran into someone to not race anymore?

I am not a stunter. I love to wheelie and do some other stuff on the street. The worst I have been injured have all been on the track, with proper equitment. I have more control when I wheelie in traffic THAN I have in a race. Trust me, because you can look infront, behind, around and then decide NOT to do it. Try that in a turn on the track.

Someone DO THINK before they wheelie. I am sorry if you are tooooo stupid to realize that.

And as far as I am concern, I am the innocent bystander when I go race in a race. My goal is to ride fast, get upfront, and finish first, non of the others really matter. So why do I get run into, elbowed, stuffed, and ran off line??? How stupid this sport is

bmfgsxr

SliderPhoto

OK, could the background music be any more gay? :o

Good thing there wasn't a barbed-wire fence at the road side.

Litespeed

I don't recall calling anyone stupid.  I was merely asking if people think and said that he made a stupid (from my perspective) decision.  Why not let the bicyclist clear the area before continuing???

madanalyst

QuoteA bicyclist accepts the risk when he gets on his bike, just as I get on the track. Stunting in public may be violating laws, but what are laws? rules that protect the public. How many rules do you see broken each race? How many stupid things do you see?

This has to be one of the dumbest things i've ever read.  Are you for real????

Speedballer347

Quote...I d/l'd file and cannot play, Speedy, what codec is it using?  
Cary, it plays on WMV.

QuoteHow's my helmet ;D ;D
Hey man, I sold that helmet on Ebay.  I thought we could split the $$$  ;D
Are you coming to Gateway anytime this season?  If yes, bring your streetbike for some vid :D
I'll holler atcha this week.
How is Omni doing???....haven't heard anything lately

QuoteWhy not let the bicyclist clear the area before continuing???
I guess cause the wheelier wanted to give the cyclist a front-row seat to the carnage ;)
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

r6_philly

QuoteThis has to be one of the dumbest things i've ever read.  Are you for real????

Yes, I am for real, and please think it through before calling it dumb. Either you are the only person know to human kind who obeys every law ever signed, or you just conviniently choose which one makes sense to you, or which ones can be broken, and not get caught for.

You also should ask why do people obey rules. If people obey rules because of merit, there wouldn't have to be any penalties associated with anyrules.

On the risk part, (if that is what you were referring to as dumb as I couldn't clearly determine) how many times do you see bicycles riding on roads, is that not a risk they take? they don't know that a 70 year old man might make a turn out of his drive way without looking for bicycles? I fail to see what is so dumb here. Each thing we do in daily life has a LOT of danger associated with it. Yes, idealy, with all the rules and laws, it would be safe, without incident. But we DO know that is not going to happen, and risk has to be assessed and accepted before we do anything.

Did you know bicycles are supposed to stop at redlights and wait for green just as any other vehicles? How many times does a bicycle stop at a light and wait? Is that not extra risk they are taking with disregard for the rules? I think we should call them stupid and ban them from the road? But we don't becuae: 1. there is no apparent danger for breaking that rule, bikes are not going to run into cars if there are no cars 2. there is no enforcement of the law.

So, based on what I just said, someone who choose to ride his/her bike in public in a wild manner must either 1. don't think 2. determine it is safe and 3. no law enforcement. which is the same as bicycles crossing red lights, you walk across an empty street NOT on a crosswalk or against a no-walk line, or you drive 65 in a 55 zone because there is no traffic and the road is straight as an arrow or so many other laws you break constantly, everyday.

See what I am getting at? You accept the risk by participating in any activity. By getting on the road, you accept the chance that a guy might have passed out in a tractor trailer, a woman may be drunk or sleep in a SUV, a plane may land on your head, a 3 feet pot hole may be around the corner unmarked, that old chevy had just leaked 3 quarts of 10W30 around the intersection, OR, someguy on a sportbike may come toward you on 1 wheel and seemed to be out of control. You take the risk, and if you didn't think about the risks, you should 1. stay home, or 2. rethink your risks.

so inconclusion, stunting in public is similar to something, you, or I do every day, such as running across a street, not wearing seatbelts, going to race on worn tires or driving home sleepy eyed towing a 20 feet trailer. We put ourselves, and others in danger because of our own risk asessment, and our own risk tolerances. It ain't good, but it ain't worse than most things in life. Until we can stop all the other bad habbits, it is just AS bad as everything else.

Now if that doesn't answer your 'dumb' question, I may have to add a comment or two regarding my observation of "dumbness"

r6_philly

QuoteI don't recall calling anyone stupid.  I was merely asking if people think and said that he made a stupid (from my perspective) decision.  Why not let the bicyclist clear the area before continuing???

See we are looking at this wrong. Had there been no incident, then you would not have asked that question (why not let him clear). Just as how AMA deal with track safety, it only is an issue, when it is an issue.

The thing about taking risk is, it usually does not appear to be a risk, until something bad happens. I am sure whoever did the wheelie, either didnt think, or thought it would be perfectly ok. That was his assessment, and it was wrong. And we were not going to question his judgemtn, until it is proven wrong. I really hope that everyone who does a wheelie doesnt wish that it comes down crooked, or flip over, but it happens.

Litespeed

QuoteSee we are looking at this wrong. Had there been no incident, then you would not have asked that question (why not let him clear). Just as how AMA deal with track safety, it only is an issue, when it is an issue.

The thing about taking risk is, it usually does not appear to be a risk, until something bad happens. I am sure whoever did the wheelie, either didnt think, or thought it would be perfectly ok. That was his assessment, and it was wrong. And we were not going to question his judgemtn, until it is proven wrong. I really hope that everyone who does a wheelie doesnt wish that it comes down crooked, or flip over, but it happens.

Bullshit, if I was that bicyclist and you did a wheelie past me I can assure you the cops would hear about it.  If the bicycle hadn't been there then I wouldn't have commented about anything except that I was glad the rider had his gear on and came out of it ok.  Any time I see people doing stunts in a location that directly puts people that are not participating in the stunts (watching is participating, and don't twist that to mean that since you see it you are watching) in danger because you don't have the courtesy to wait for them to clear the area...

r6_philly

Whatever, you use good judgement all the time and never put anyone else in danger?

I don't know where you are from, but wherever I go to race I see many people get run into, off the track, into a wall, and injured for more than 4 weeks because someone else might not had the courtesy to wait for the other person to clear the area. That would be a normal decision turned bad...

So what if the cop hears about it? its one person's word against another, without any proof, what are they going to do? For your information, I have run off the road before because a bicycle didn't look before crossing the road. I guess I should have stopped and called him stupid.

Apparently you are knee deep in hatred against stunters that you can't not see my point. I give you many points of view and the first thing you have to say is "bullsh!t"?

if you are half way decent, at least have the COURTESY of read what I say and reply with some respect. But that is too much to ask. Articulating discussings are not our strong point I see.

Anyway, if you are naive enough to think courtesy is at work in this word, start reading the rest of the threads on this board, like the CCS is wack thread, or the racer who deals stolen parts thread, or us all getting injured, and many others. Then please post one message each to the threads stating that they should have had the courtesy to do things differently and that is all "bullsh!t", will ya

Thanks so much

Litespeed

My bullnuts statement was in reference to you ASSUMING I wouldn't have cared about it if the crash hadn't happened.  I care because I have logged more miles on a bicycle than many people have logged on a motorcycle.  Every time I got on my bicycle I knew I had to deal with the fact someone might not see me and turn me into road pizza.  What I didn't count on was people intentionally making a situation more dangerous than it has to be which would include someone trying to run up close to me while passing or doing a wheelie next to me (or when my friend had her butt grabbed by a guy riding by on a scooter :)).  As far as his word vs. mine, that may be the case, but I'm sure your prime spots for stunting would start getting watched more closely and we all know there aren't that many of them in the first place.

And one last point, can you please explain to me why a race which takes place on a closed circuit can be directly compared to stunt riding which occurs on public streets?  

r6_philly

actually I came to realize it is all about perspective, and your opinion must have its merit and it is not really going to be producitve to try to alter that.

as for your question, I wasn't trying to compare the activity, rather, what goes on and the risk involved. On the race track, although it is closed, it is monitored, and it has rules, BUT, the danger and risk level depends on the participants, the racers who may endanger others by making risky decisions. stunting on the street are not the same, but simular, as in risky decisions made by the rider may put him/herself at risk or others. There are rules both on the track and on the street to try to prevent incidents, but they are not always followed. What ultimately happens is that one person out of the group (on the track or the street) make a bad decision and cause an incident. I am not comparing the intention of the two enviornments, rather than what actually goes on. Unless the stunter decide to intentionally injure himself, then it is just one person made a bad judgement and went over his head. I can and I am sure you can relate to that on the track as so many intended passes end up crashes. It may be a bit of a stretch, but it is my bad logic :p

Its ok, I just feel that with racers, stunters gets such a bad rap. I like doing stunt stuff on the street, and I have never dangered anyone even closed to what I have done on the track. I guess that person was stupid, but please don't think that we all do.

Anyways, don't mind me so much, I am just opinionated sometimes.