News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Gateway Trackday 6/13 (Friday the 13th- Mwa ha ha)

Started by tigerblade, June 03, 2003, 11:46:55 AM

tigerblade

Who's going to the Friday trackday before the races?  A group of us from Columbia will be there.  Will be my first on-track experience at Gateway.  Those walls are fluffy, right?!   ::)

http://www.midwestrider.com/
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

RC51Racer

Don't know about the walls being fluffy, but I know the ground (asphalt) is hard.   :'(

motomadness

I plan on being there.  Accuweather.com forecasts rain for that day.

tigerblade

Quote Accuweather.com forecasts rain for that day.

Wonderful.   :-/
Younger Oil Racing

SliderPhoto

I'll be there all weekend. I just got off the phone with Neville and the word is that we wont get out on the track until noon but then we'll run until dark. Hmmm, maybe we can turn the lights on and run the banking.  ;D

See ya there.

tigerblade

Ooo... maybe half of us could run the track in the opposite direction just to spice it up!
Younger Oil Racing

tshort

QuoteI'll be there all weekend. I just got off the phone with Neville and the word is that we wont get out on the track until noon but then we'll run until dark. Hmmm, maybe we can turn the lights on and run the banking.  ;D

See ya there.

Hey I was just at an Indy car race at the Milwaukee Mile over the weekend (after I crashed at BHF :() and it was held at night under full lighting.  An Indy car first, I believe.  was kinda weird, I guess.  Mainly, tho, we froze our butts off - and it was nearly June, for crying out loud.  Only in Wisconsin... :-/
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

sdiver68

QuoteI'll be there all weekend. I just got off the phone with Neville and the word is that we wont get out on the track until noon but then we'll run until dark. Hmmm, maybe we can turn the lights on and run the banking.  ;D

See ya there.

WERA ran an endurance race there in the dark.  From what I've heard, they skipped out on the lights bill, and that was the end of WERA at Gateway.  ???
MCRA Race School Instructor

Jeff

QuoteDon't know about the walls being fluffy, but I know the ground (asphalt) is hard.   :'(

Brother I hear you there...  I went down 2 years ago coming through the large carousel at the end.  I was FLYING, then sliding...  On my back, I hit a rock or a large clump of dirt or something with my arse.  

My right cheek, I must have split the muscle as I was blood black from mid thigh to the center of my back.  It was so ugly that after I took pics, I couldn't bear to put them on the internet...  I rode home (6 hours) on 3 blue ice packs.

For 6 months, I had a knot the size of a 6" subway sandwich.  Since then, it's subsided to the size of a dinner roll...  You're welcome to come on by the next time I'm outta my leathers if you wanna feel  :P
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

harb990

QuoteI just got off the phone with Neville and the word is that we wont get out on the track until noon but then we'll run until dark. Hmmm, maybe we can turn the lights on and run the banking.

Whats the deal on not running til noon - should I sleep in or what?  

r1owner

QuoteI plan on being there.  Accuweather.com forecasts rain for that day.

OMG, I won't put any stock into the forecast until the day before.  Otherwise the forecasters can't tell squat here in the Midwest.  I want their job.  I could be wrong all the time and still keep my job! ;)

tigerblade

QuoteI just got off the phone with Neville and the word is that we wont get out on the track until noon but then we'll run until dark.

Someone else who talked to him today said registration starts @ 10:30.  
Younger Oil Racing

r1owner

QuoteI'll be there all weekend. I just got off the phone with Neville and the word is that we wont get out on the track until noon
See ya there.

Does this mean that it is half the normal cost then? ;)

SliderPhoto

Probably best to talk with Neville about the details. As I understand it, there still will be a full day of riding from noon to 8. But yeah, a chance to sleep in. Personally I like the change since I'll be at RA the day before.

K3 Chris Onwiler

I've been transported there, and I've won there.  Kinda hard to say I love or hate the place.  If you pretend the walls aren't there, it's a really cool place.  Turn 2 is my favorite in racing.  (One is the 45 degree off the banking, Two is the 115 degree corner that comes about 1 second later)
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Jeff

Noon to 8, that's AWESOME!!! Since (if I get this danged thing together) I won't get there until around 2:00 AM, it's extra time to sleep and set up!

Man, I'd rather run noon to dusk than 8am until 4:30 or 5.  Early morning is great for golf, but stinks for racing practice IMHO...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super_KC124

tigerblade

QuoteHey Kris, are ya skeerd yet? ;D

I'm sure it's a lot safer at your speed.   ;D
Younger Oil Racing

EX#996

QuoteI'm sure it's a lot safer at your speed.   ;D

Oooooooo

Kris:  2 points
Kevin:  0

Ding Ding

;D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Gixxer124

QuoteOooooooo

Kris:  2 points
Kevin:  0

Ding Ding

;D

A couple of people I know "will" be put in there place next weekend. If your not turning at least 1:18's, I'll be lapping you.  :P

r1owner

QuoteA couple of people I know "will" be put in there place next weekend. If your not turning at least 1:18's, I'll be lapping you.  :P

Whew, I guess I don't have to worry (about getting passed) then! ;)

sdiver68

If you aren't turning 1:13's in the GT races, you will get lapped  ;D  

r1owner

QuoteIf you aren't turning 1:13's in the GT races, you will get lapped  ;D  

I doubt I'll be that fast.  Shooting for 1:15's or so.

sdiver68

You racing?  cool!  You can turn 1:13's in your sleep!  :D

tigerblade

I'll settle for not hitting any walls.   :)
Younger Oil Racing

r1owner

QuoteYou racing?  cool!  You can turn 1:13's in your sleep!  :D

Yes, it looks like this will be my only race this year.  I have to have more treatments that will most likely prevent me from racing this year :(

I am still recovering from surgery, but since this is the only chance I'll get this year, I'm going for it!

Well, I don't know what you're running, but at that trackday, there was no way I was going to even keep you in sight!  :o

motomadness

QuoteOMG, I won't put any stock into the forecast until the day before.  Otherwise the forecasters can't tell squat here in the Midwest.  I want their job.  I could be wrong all the time and still keep my job!  

They predicted what was going to happen at BHF last week, 15 days before the event.  They also did a fairly good job predicting the weather at Gingerman two weeks prior to that.

sdiver68

12's to 18's depending on what I was trying to accomplish for that session.  That was only because it was your first time on in awhile.  I've seen you chase down guys running 10's and 11's bigtime!

It will be good to see you out there!  ;D

Super_KC124

QuoteIf you aren't turning 1:13's in the GT races, you will get lapped  ;D  
I'm shooting for 11's or 12's.  :o I hope.

Gixxer124

QuoteI'm shooting for 11's or 12's.  :o I hope.
If I can do this, I will "earn" my sandbagger title! :P

r1owner

Quote12's to 18's depending on what I was trying to accomplish for that session.  That was only because it was your first time on in awhile.  I've seen you chase down guys running 10's and 11's bigtime!

It will be good to see you out there!  ;D

Thanks!

I have no idea what I was running that day (trackday), but it did get a lot better by the end of the day.  I was certainly a little rusty.  :)

I know I won't try to run too fast straight away again like last year though! HEHE.  I was trying too hard to keep up with the fast guys (I.E. you, speedballer and Lachavich).

harb990

Scott

You can run with me - I won't be rolling all that fast - my goal is to not be lapped by Gordon on the last lap of the sprint races like I was last year.

Cary

r1owner

QuoteScott

You can run with me - I won't be rolling all that fast - my goal is to not be lapped by Gordon on the last lap of the sprint races like I was last year.

Cary

Sounds good to me.

harb990

see you there - I still don't know about this "sleeping in"  but I guess we will deal with it

Later

Cary  

r1owner

Quotesee you there - I still don't know about this "sleeping in"  but I guess we will deal with it

Later

Cary  

Cary,

I won't be able to make the Friday trackday.  I took too much sick time earlier this year, so I don't think I'll be able to get that Friday.  

I will come over for lunch though since I am working just across the river.

I'll be there Saturday.

Gixxer124

QuoteI'm shooting for 11's or 12's.  :o I hope.
I'm changing my plan. I'll ride to have fun and see what happens.