importance of HEALTH INSURANCE when racing@!!!

Started by MELK-MAN, June 03, 2003, 08:28:11 AM

MELK-MAN

many of you will say "of course you dont race without health insurance".. well, some dont. Friend of mine was without a short time when switching companies but raced anyway and its costing him big time..like $28,000 after paying a bunch already.
Dont race without insurance. We have a $5k policy through CCS but that will not cover much if ya stay in the hospital a few days.
later
greg
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

MightyDuc Racing

Yeah...I gotta pay like $543 this month to keep my and my wife's insurance going...but have to do it just in case I decide to race next month. :(
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Woofentino Pugrossi

Lack of insurance is why I didnt race most of last year. :( My insurance kicked in and I only got to race the last 2 BHF races.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

ceesthadees

Another quick note about insurance and racing. Make sure your insurance does not have a racing exclusion. My previous insurance policy specifically said it would not cover injuries incurred during an organized motorsport race.

james-redsv

QuoteAnother quick note about insurance and racing. Make sure your insurance does not have a racing exclusion. My previous insurance policy specifically said it would not cover injuries incurred during an organized motorsport race.
Yep, most if not all regular health insurance policies wont cover racing. Read the fine print.:o

MightyDuc Racing

Aetna and Blue Cross/Blue Shield both cover you on the track.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

MELK-MAN

QuoteAetna and Blue Cross/Blue Shield both cover you on the track.

Blue Cross/Blue shield is what i have.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

tzracer

I have been racing since 1980 (motocross, karts, roadracing) and have never had insurance that would not cover racing.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Jeff

I agree Brian.

With all of my insurance companies, I specifically ask to see exclusions and mention terms like "sky diving", "organized sports", "amateur racing", etc...

However, the two times I have been to the doctor for "incidents", the official reason was "slipped in the grass" or "fell down on pavement".  

Hey! I didn't lie!  :D
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteHowever, the two times I have been to the doctor for "incidents", the official reason was "slipped in the grass" or "fell down on pavement".  

Hey! I didn't lie!  :D

Or say you fell off your bike. Most nurses would write down 'fell off bicycle' on teh report.  ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

ecumike

I like the reply/answer I saw on here a while ago that someone posted... when asked where the accident happenend... "on Roebling Rd."

Bernie

I always tell people I fell off a motorcycle while at the racetrack.  I've been to a bunch of emergency rooms and talked to a bunch of people while there.  Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had any issues with insurance or any bad attitudes from ER personnel.

GSXR RACER MIKE

I always think ahead about the insurance angle of injuries, after all I have paid thousands upon thousands of dollars to insurance companies and have had very minimal $ claims, so I BETTER be getting covered! Just remember that the insurance company get's to use that money in investments which build even more money.
     My insurance will allow racing but will not cover me if I race Pro, so I have never even attempted to race a Pro race for that reason. I had a non-motorcycle related injury some years back that resulted in breaking 4 of my ribs (it only hurt when I would breathe). That was recorded by the emergency room as being a fall on some stairs. Ya, that's what happened, right, that's it! ;) ;D
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

MightyDuc Racing

One of the jobs I have been offered involves selling health/life insurance.  I can do it on the side and if it covers racers, I'll hook us all up.  Just starting the investigation though.  Will keep you posted.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

KBOlsen

Day after my high-side last year, my shoulder felt really bad.  I walked into the ER of a tony, North Shore hospital my doctor happend to be affiliated with.  Wanted them to take a look at it, get some X-rays and an MRI.  

Front Desk Lady:  "What happened?"

Me:  "I fell."

F.D.L.:  "Where?"

Me:  "On my shoulder."

F.D.L.:  "How?"  

Me:  "Uh... on the pavement."  I didn't really want to go into too much detail (wasn't sure I wanted the insurance company to know I was racing).  Nurse ushers me into an exam room.  Front Desk Lady must have noticed my reticence because next thing I know, here comes a social worker!

Social Worker:  "Honey, you can tell me what REALLY happened".

"Really - I fell down, and landed on my shoulder.  That's it."

"But how did it happen?"

"What difference does it make?  Okay... Well, I fell... out of a tree!"

"You weren't pushed?"

"No... I just launched myself"

"Launched yourself?"

"Um, yeah... I grabbed the wrong gear - er, branch... and was launched!"

At that point, the absurdity of it all caused me to burst out laughing, which left that poor woman not knowing WHAT to think.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

EX#996

Yeah...  a tree, that's it....  LOL!!!!

Kim - Hopefully you will never be in that situation again, but Rob's suggestion:  "I fell off my bike," was a good one.

Dawn   :D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteSocial Worker:  "Honey, you can tell me what REALLY happened".

"Really - I fell down, and landed on my shoulder.  That's it."

"But how did it happen?"

"What difference does it make?  Okay... Well, I fell... out of a tree!"

"You weren't pushed?"

"No... I just launched myself"

"Launched yourself?"

"Um, yeah... I grabbed the wrong gear - er, branch... and was launched!"

At that point, the absurdity of it all caused me to burst out laughing, which left that poor woman not knowing WHAT to think.

Oh thats funny as h3ll. ;D ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

Pit_Girl

lol!!!!  that is tooooo funny....  ;D

it is good that they asked that though... what if you were a victim of abuse, you know?  better safe than sorry :)

-jennifer

sdiver68

LOL Kim,

I brought a friend of mine to the ER just yesterday for X-Rays of injuries from a fall she took down some stairs the night before while hanging out with her girl friends.

She was asked how the injuries happened at least 5 times by 5 different people.  I could almost feel their stares at me as she said "I fell down steps"  :o
MCRA Race School Instructor

Eddie#200

QuoteLOL Kim,

I brought a friend of mine to the ER just yesterday for X-Rays of injuries from a fall she took down some stairs the night before while hanging out with her girl friends.

She was asked how the injuries happened at least 5 times by 5 different people.  I could almost feel their stares at me as she said "I fell down steps"  :o

Yeah Steve .... But she probably deserved it right?  ;)

EX#996

QuoteLOL Kim,

It is good that they ask, but sometimes they just cannot accept what you say as the truth.  I fell on some ice a some years ago (Christmas Eve no less) tore my nylons scraped my hand, knee, cheek and needed stiches in my forehead.  They kept asking me what happend, I kept telling them "I fell on the ice."  The nurse is cleaning my cheek and I'm crying so she says, "Your crying, is there anything you're not telling me?"  I said, "Yeah, that hurts!"  She stopped asking questions at that point.

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton