News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Question about SV650

Started by lbk, June 02, 2003, 07:21:23 AM

lbk

I know there are plenty of people around here that run them.

I've personally seen a few of them with blown motors being pushed in, at track days. So I'm curious is this only the ones that are overboared or is this a frequent thing even for bone stock ones?

I'd like to hear people's experiences with how much maitenance is involved in running one of these. And how competitive are they in stock trim, in the lightweight classes? Assuming of course suspension components are upgraded?

Any help is appreciated.

dave333

IMHO,

70hp SV's - Stock, near bulletproof

80hp SV's - If done right, cams/valves/pistons/con rods/crank/tranny - Very stout

100hp SV's - Practice pushing or slip the crash truck guy a $20 every race weekend, just to be sure

If you put Kevin Schwantz on a stock SV, it would be competitive.  The rider and the amount of corner speed you can carry make all the difference.  If you are going to race non-stock classes you will run up against the 100hp SV's with very good riders on them.  Will your 70hp be competitive against them?  Probably not.  Will you have the time of your life on a very forgiving, fun to ride, won't spit you on your head machine?  YES, without a doubt...

After owning and racing a totally stock SV, and then going through this exact process of more, more, and more I would now just do the suspension, pipe and jet kit and ride, ride, ride...

MELK-MAN

like he said.. leave em pretty stock with just jetting and pipe, you should never have trouble. A few of the built ones ive seen have eventually failed. Dont know of any 100hp sv650's?? woww..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

lbk

Cool, that's pretty much what I thought it was. And yeah not looking to take home trophy's just need something that I can learn on a little easier. The gixxer was probably a bad choice for a first race bike. It's a 97' 750 but still has more power than I can ever use, and more power than I think I feel comfortable with trying to raise my entry speed. That is probably my weekest area right now, and I need something that can help me with that.

Thanks again guys. Anyone want a 97' GSXR-750 :D

sdiver68

I know of 2 ~100HP SV's.

Ed's seems to get him through races, although I don't know how much maintenance he does.

Another just blew up after 3 weekends.  A factory mis-installed oil passage valve was identified, so we'll see how long it lasts after this is corrected.

I'd buy an '03 for the Fuel injection and Modified chasis.
MCRA Race School Instructor

MELK-MAN

For what its worth, Scuba Steve got the Holeshot on ALL his races at Moroso on a 65hp (or so) SV, Jetted an Pipe and suspension is all the work hes done.
Mike mills is shaking his head at this already as is mighty duc with his 90+- duc. Steve does very well and wins at tracks that are about keeping corner speed up like Jennings GP..The other guys will be commin after him now for sure.. you can thank me later Steve..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Dawn

QuoteI know of 2 ~100HP SV's.

Ed's seems to get him through races, although I don't know how much maintenance he does.

Ed took his 100 HP SV and reduced it down to 90 HP for reliability.

Our stock SV has three race seasons on it now with problems.

Dawn   :)

ecumike

Keep it bone stock. that's the BEST way to race these things   :P ;D

mmills416

SS legal SV's with all the suspension mods are very fast at most tracks.  The only motor work you'll need is Pipe, jetkit, correct air filter, and oxigenated race fuel.  That should net you around 75 - 80 hp.  I know guys that go all year doing only basic maintance with zero failures.  You can safely build a 85 hp SV with cams, head work, and flatslides.  If you go bigger than that you better have a spare motor at every race.  The great thing about SV are the class is competitive and the bike only need 1 front every other weekend and 1 rear every weekend.  You can run the thing in 6 classes and have fun and have a chance of winning if the track is right , "Jennings" SS legal SV are running in the 22's.  Melka, Steve was in back by turn 3.

ScubaSteve

I was in 2nd by turn 3 not the back. Plus one race i led the first lap then you passed me. ;D. I would say keep it stock mines stock. Just the pipe jetting and suspension and i run 93octane in it. I want to jet it and run race gas but i cant really afford the gas. Eevntually it comes down to the rider i like more technical tracks i feel i make up some ground in the corners Unlike moroso where its point and shoot. You gotta admit though mike i do ride the hell outta it. I remember beating someone a few times on it. Plus that was my first time at Moroso think i did pretty well. But i still did pull the holeshot on the HP bikes!!!!!!! ;D Thanks alot greg!!!
Steve

CCS FL

TreyBone

My SV ran 2 full seasons and a couple of track days on a stock motor with no problems whatsoever. When we tore the motor down this past winter everything was still in tolerance (valve clearance) and looked good. There was just a little pitting on the intake valves that you had to use a magnifying glass to see. When you run an SV with pipe, jetkit, it is pretty much bullet proof as long as it is jetted right and you use oil ;D

mmills416

I wasn't taken anything away from you, you know I thought you rode great.  Greg started it.