News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Crashing still sucks...

Started by tshort, June 01, 2003, 04:35:10 PM

tshort

Well it started out looking like the promised dry day would not pan out, with dark clouds, and mist hanging around Rockton.  But the rain stayed away, and things slowly dried out, and by race time we had a dry line.  The grids were messed up severely due to computer glitches (they are *so* ready for IBM), and there were many false "3rd calls" - we were wondering about whether maybe they should have gone for 10th call instead.

The Thunderbikes race grid that I saw had no Superbike Ike on it, and I was feeling pretty good about that.  So imagine my surprise when the gold 40 bike came blasting by me while I was wrastling with some white-plated backmarker.  D-a-m-n.  He was in the race after all.  Nicely done, Ikey.  Second place doesn't suck, tho, and I'm not complaining.

GT Lights - well, it turned out Brendan and I would do battle for the lead of that race (in the Am's, that is), and we swapped the lead a couple times trying to figure out who had the line and the rest of it to stay in front.  I was tired, tho, and should have probably stayed with my B-game, rather than the A-game needed to keep the lead.  Mistake.

Coming out of T1, about 3/4 of the way through the race, I ran a bit wide, and target-fixated on the dirt that seems to always be hanging around the exit there.  And I found it - after more or less making the turn, I ran off the edge of the track, producing some tank slap.  Jerked it back on the pavement but too late, slapping got bigger, and finally the bucking bronco spit me off over the bars.  Landed on my chest hard, knocking all air out of body.  Lay there in mid -track sucking air like some kind of bluegill that suddenly finds itself on dry land, only I'm *supposed* to be able to breath.

Anyway, body (mine) was intact, miracle.  Ambo ride back to white building - joking with nurses - head taped to spine board - weird.  I was fine - they weren't so sure.  I was right.

Team Stumpy, Casper, Ike, Kim/John, Dawn/Paul - Thank You!!  Nice to have your support out there.  

Bike is in need of some parts - but in the words of a famous alien, "I'll be back."  :D

But crashing does suck.  I really wanted to run today.  Oh well.  Add another lesson to the list.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

MELK-MAN

no argument here. Crashing does most definatly suck.. :P Good job otherwise though.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteThe grids were messed up severely due to computer glitches (they are *so* ready for IBM), and there were many false "3rd calls" - we were wondering about whether maybe they should have gone for 10th call instead.

I think the computers are beyond IBM. ;D They acted like they were built by Compaq. ;D ;D

ANd on the announcing, how'd ya like the starting grid for the expert race read during the amature warm up lap? ;D Well at least he then read teh amature grid during teh expert race. ::)
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

lbk

Sorry to hear about your get off. Glad you are ok, wanted to stop by and say hi, but spent all day saturday wrenching on the bike so things were busy to say the least.

Hope you feel ok now, and we'll catch you back out there next time.

EX#996

QuoteLanded on my chest hard, knocking all air out of body.  Lay there in mid -track sucking air like some kind of bluegill that suddenly finds itself on dry land, only I'm *supposed* to be able to breath.  

LOL!!!

Too funny.....  Your crash wasn't.   :-[

Glad to see you haven't lost your sence of humor.  See you soon.

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super Dave

QuoteI think the computers are beyond IBM. ;D They acted like they were built by Compaq. ;D ;D

Buy Mac's...
 ;D
Super Dave

MightyDuc Racing

Glad you are okay...let's just not crash anymore this year, what do ya say? :D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Pit_Girl

Glad to hear that you're ok!:D

Bike is in need of some parts - but in the words of a famous alien, "I'll be back."  :D

wasn't he a robot from earth? (cyberdyne 1000 or somethin like that) ;) ;D

sorry, i am just filled with useless trivia... :D ;D 8)

-jennifer    

sdiver68

QuoteBuy Mac's...
 ;D

Mac's are the Honda scooters of the computer world.  Not much horsepower, easy to use, no fuss, and loved by the artsy set  ;D
MCRA Race School Instructor

KeelerDucati03

hey man - got your voicemail late yesterday...
sorry about your crash and glad to hear your ok...
I was sick all weekend and didnt make it down there.
I am not sure about the Garage this week either since I have so much stuff to get ready for AMA this weekend and I have to do it all at night...
Take it easy this week - good thing you got some BBQ and an easy track gig this weekend to look forward to - R&R ;)

tshort

Hey all - thanks for all the positive energy!  
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

StumpysWife

Hi Tom, I'm so glad you came through fine after that get-off.  It was scary for us, that's for sure.  Your wife is one cool cucumber!!!  Good grief.  I hope that I can learn from her example if I ever (God forbid) have to be in the same situation.  Hope you had fun at those weird 4 wheel type races!  

See ya at RA!!