Marking Grid Positions on the Track?

Started by Luna, May 28, 2003, 06:18:33 AM

Luna

Why doesn't CCS put markings on the track for grid positions?

Almost every race I have done at Summit Point this year has had a really sloppy grid due to guys that don't space themselves out correctly.

If the grid assignments are:

A____B____C____D
___E____F____G___

In theory, the riders in E, F, or G should be looking at an open space in front of them.
But if the the guys in C and D decide to grid right next to each other, the guy in G is kinda screwed when C and D both do 12 o'clock wheelies on the green flag.
(Not speaking from personal experience or anything here  ;) LOL!)

I'm not expecting CCS to have "the box" like an AMA event, but even a simple hash mark for the riders to put their front wheel on would help keep the grid nice and neat.

Just a suggestion...

rdeeming

I wondered the same thing as this was my first CCS/FUSA race this last weekend at Mid America.  I would agree with your suggestion.  It has got to make it hard to judge who might be rolling slightly at the start of the race.  Not that I am speaking from any experience here  :D LOL!

tzracer

Not sure if all tracks would allow it (marking the track with paint).

I prefer the way it is. If I am on the third row I do not want to be directly behind a rider in the first row. I have never found it to be a big problem.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

mj

I agree with the professor  ;D

If the riders can't figure out how to line up on the grid.....maybe they don't belong out on the track ???

Luna

QuoteIf the riders can't figure out how to line up on the grid.....maybe they don't belong out on the track  
I'll agree with that, but apparently it's not something that's policed.  

As for making "permanent" paint marks on the track, that's not necessary...
There are plenty of paints that wash away with water, or chalk works plenty well.

r6_philly

one trick Luna, is to go out last on the warm up lap. That way, your tire cools down less, you have less time waiting on the grid, have less people around you on the warm up lap (so you can properly warm up) and you can pick where you grid. You will not be stuck behind 2 guys close to each other if you grid after they did.

rick

Yeah, I always thought that it was weird for CCS not to mark the individual grid positions. It seems like every other organization does.  ???

Oh, and they don't paint 'em on - they usually use chalk.

craigincali

CCS is the first orginazation I have raced in that DOES NOT use grid markings.  I was really suprised when they did not even have the cones numbered, especially in a 17 row race!  

Chalk or tape is the way to go for pavement markings.  Numbering the cones would  be nice too.  I think it would help the grid line up quicker and get the day flowing better.
Craig
P #124

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote I was really suprised when they did not even have the cones numbered, especially in a 17 row race!  

They are numbered here in teh MW. ???
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

r6_philly

they are numbered here too (in MA) it would be impossible to find row 13 without it.

markings would be nice, this weekend at summit we had 3 people taking up 1/3 of the race track in one of my races, made my day a lot easier (I was on the other side on the row behind :D ) I think it would make starts safer.

but I always pick my spots based on the people in front, so I always have space to go forward.

tzracer

Maybe WERA has changed, they did not mark grid positions in the late 80s.

So if the grid positions are marked, how much can I move sideways before I am considered out of position? How  wide are the marks other organizations use?
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

SlowDragon

AFM uses a small chalked box with the grid number on. I watched them at Thunderhill this past weekend and it took about 10 minutes to mark about 100 grid positions so the overhead of doing it does not seem that severe.

It makes it a lot safer having pre-defined markings so that there is always a gap in front rather than relying on people to grid themselves properly.

Just my $ 0.02