News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

I bought a Tank!

Started by Nate R, May 22, 2003, 06:41:02 PM

Nate R

Well, I guess I won't be doing the whole race/street bike all in one. Insurance on my SV (me being only nearly 18 ) was killing me, and the frequent tire changes would be a PITA, financially. So, my brother wanted to sell his 1981 Honda CB750K. 31 K miles, needs a little TLC, but nothing MAJOR. So, I'm gonna buy it for $350. The important thing is that it runs relatively reliably, and doesn't NEED any of that stuff to keep going for a while. The cost of this bike and insurance for a year, as well as the title transfer, is still less than insurance on the SV for a year. Once you account for tire changes, and costs to make the SV street legal, I'll be ahead financially starting next year by riding this over the SV. Also, I'd be worried about some of the places where I'd leave my bike, especially in some of the areas near where I'll be going to college next year. With an old bike like this, I don't worry.

This thing is a TANK! 515 lbs DRY, 65 HP. Fun bike to ride, though, and a classic!

So, I guess this will be my street bike now. I have dubbed it "The Tank."  :)

I never thought I'd be able to afford 2 bikes, one track, one street, but this looks like it'll work.

So, no more SV street riding for me, but that also means I can sell off some SV parts, and put on some more race parts. (Subframe,  eventually smaller battery or battery eliminator, (AKA BIG capacitor.)

Just thought I'd share.  

Uh-oh, I'm thinking too much.....The though just crossed my mind to race this thing once next year.  :o
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

MightyDuc Racing

Go vintage baby!  Race the AHRMA with Springer and Nixon at Daytona!!! ;D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Pit_Girl

QuoteSo, I guess this will be my street bike now. I have dubbed it "The Tank."  :)

ehhem... didnt WE christen it the "tank"? ;) ;D

QuoteThis thing is a TANK! 515 lbs DRY, 65 HP. Fun bike to ride, though, and a classic!

i always wanted a guy with a big gun.....*smirk* hehehehe lol ::) ;) ;)

-jennifer

Nate R

Ahh, yes, we did. We christened it the tank when my brother still owned it.

AHRMA? It's a serious possibility in the someday category. This thing would be fun to race against others like it.

Hmm, waht would it be least behind in in CCS? Middleweight Sportsman, it looks like, would be best.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

Super Dave

QuoteAHRMA? It's a serious possibility in the someday category. This thing would be fun to race against others like it.

Hmm, waht would it be least behind in in CCS? Middleweight Sportsman, it looks like, would be best.

Not old enough. Needs to be pre '73.

Nixon's a fun guy to race with...but he's a tricky guy too.  

http://worldmotorcycles.com/Pages/daytona02p.html
Super Dave

dwilson

81 CB750, old tank? >:( I love my 76!
Absolutely reliable, nice looking and what a great exhaust sound.  My friend describes it as the sound of a bunch of angry men screaming together.  Parts are all over Ebay and real cheap.

I have progressive suspension, 4 into 1 exhaust & 52K miles.  In a straight line it would probably keep up with the SV.  Take a look at all the crazy mods you can do to it...  My buddy had one bored to a 900 with cams & carbs!

Nate R

K. Yeah, I love the exhaust sound, too. It's got a 4 into 1 Vance and Hines pipe on it now, that needs a repacking.

Weird richness sometimes problem, I suspect the accelerator pump, or float levels.

Dunno if this tank would keep up with teh SV (Don't think so with teh weight) but the SV sure as hell handles better!  :o

Speaking of SV, get this: The stock SV fork springs are soft for most riders. My tank, which is 110 lbs heavier, has significantly softer springs than teh SV!
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

Super Dave

Keep up with an SV?  OK, the one I rode could keep up with full supersport 600's at Daytona in a straight line.  

As for springs, Honda does have a tendancy to not preload some springs in bikes in order to give the bike a certain look.  Making the preload correct might be in order.
Super Dave

Nate R

OK, I'll look into preload. Regardless of that, the rate is very soft. Something like .527 kgs/mm according to Race tech.  :o
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com