News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Toluene as a octane booster

Started by james-redsv, May 21, 2003, 08:11:55 PM

r6_philly

if you mix 1 gallon of Toluene to 4 gallons of pump fuel, then the SG would be:

(0.86 + 4x0.76)/5 = 0.78

The legal limit is .775, so you will be over depending on temperature. So apro. 3/4 gallon to 4 gallons would be good enough to keep down the SG.

maybe I will try it.

MightyDuc Racing

A.  Is rocket fuel legal? ;D  and B. How the hell do you guys know all this formula stuff for fuel? ??? ;D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

p9

There you go Philly!
Thank you for the math lesson...

I could never get a handle on numbers.

Yes, adding maybe 5/8 or 3/4 will keep you legal
and will add some power. It will be the denser mixture that will be the most benificial, not the slight octane increase. More BTU's = more power!
Providing your jetted correctly too.

r6_philly

QuoteA.  Is rocket fuel legal? ;D  and B. How the hell do you guys know all this formula stuff for fuel? ??? ;D

why said we actually know this stuff  ;D ;D ;D

p9

Well, most of it is basic chemistry, and as I siad before, race fuel is a science and a part of R&D.

I have always been more interested in the R&D aspect of racing than anything else. Also, more interested in cars than bikes as well. I began studying and researching race fuels right when I started racing in 91. I found plenty of info from
racers, and chemistry books at the pharma plant I had worked for. Some crude R&D and experimenting is all I am capable of with no lab or real testing facilities, but most of my investigating proves to turn out positive. Now, with the internet having so much info available it is relatively easy to research anything and apply it to your own program.

Now, go experiment!!!

r6_philly

QuoteThere you go Philly!
Thank you for the math lesson...

I could never get a handle on numbers.

Yes, adding maybe 5/8 or 3/4 will keep you legal
and will add some power. It will be the denser mixture that will be the most benificial, not the slight octane increase. More BTU's = more power!
Providing your jetted correctly too.

so, does the mixture need  less air? Because the fuel burns more efficiently and faster, it will run leaner, correct? So I can jet it to deliever more fuel (richer) since they will burn more, right?

MightyDuc Racing

QuoteAlso, more interested in cars than bikes as well.

Them's fightin words...lol. ;D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

p9

Right, larger jetting. Now, you may find that your low-end low-rpm off the throttle may bog a bit.
But it is a small sacrifice to get the extra hp.
You may even get back-fire, depends on how big you go. Just keep the revs UP! You may want to do some dyno tests if you can before doing any on-track experimenting.

2. :)
I hear ya Duc...

Listen, if I could [$$$] I would be prototype
or open wheel racing!
Wings and things are my bag baby....
The only reason I started bike racing was because I could not afford to go car racing, on a decent level.
I like the 2 wheels, and it has afforded me the awesome opportunity to compete at such historic
and great circuits like Daytona, Bridghampton, and
Road Atlanta. But I'd trade 2 for 4 in a heartbeat!
In fact I'd sell my soul for an F1 ride, even just 1 race. I'm watching Carburation day right now, I can't wait for Sunday.

r6_philly

ha my bike is actually too rich right now. Mains are probably 1 size too large. Been wanting to either re-jet or lean the mixture a little. So I guess I will try a mixture fuel next practice day.

p9

Ok, sounds like you may be spot on then after
juicing up the gas. Let us know your findings.
One thing you will notice right away is the smell
 ;)

r6_philly

I know the sweet distinctive and pungent smell of toluene, some people get high on it don' they?  ;)

anyways, I guess if adding it is NOT illegal in CCS, it wouldn't be too hard to be spotted because of the smell. I am going to try it out at a track day, it I like the result, I may submit a sample to tech before using it in a race.

p9

Well, I wouldn't necessarly submit a sample before hand.
I would just make sure that your under the .775 SG limit.
Then just use your blend. If you get tested then you'll be ok. However that said, I would bring the container of the brand you purchase, your receipt, along with the brands MSDS sheet. That way, if you are questioned you will have all the tech info at hand. You never know what crazy demands some tech inspectors may ask of you. Better be prepared
than to be DQ'd