News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Health insurance question

Started by OmniGLH, May 21, 2003, 07:42:40 AM

OmniGLH

In a nutshell.. I'm looking at leaving my current FT job (which provides health insurance) and going out on my own, contracting.

I broke my shoulder back in April, had surgery, and have about a year of physical therapy and follow-up Dr. visits.  

Has anybody had any personal experience with quitting one job, and starting another, while carrying over an injury and medical claims?

Taking this new job is important to me, but NOT if it means affecting my health and recovery from this injury.  Last thing I want to do is sign up for new insurance (current is Blue Cross HMO - I'd be signing up for Blue Cross PPO, independently) and then have all my PT and Dr.'s visits declined and have to pay out of pocket because it's a "prior condition"

Thanks.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

KBOlsen

Sounds like your injury would definitely be classified as a "pre-existing condition", and you would have to pay out-of-pocket for your PT and doctor bills for at least several months.  That can get very expensive.

Sad to say, this might not be the best time for you to move on. :-/
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

sdiver68

Yes, if you quit the health insurance completely they will stop paying for your PT and follow ups.  BTDT!  Not sure if it was right, but at the time I didn't have the $$ to fight it.

However, all is not lost.  First of all, insurance companies are required to waive the pre-existing condition clause if you are switching from 1 policy to another within 60 days.  Congress passed that law a few years ago to make it easier for people to switch jobs.

Second, you can always pay for COBRA.  Basically, you have the right to conitnue your current policy with your old employer for up to 2 years.  However, you will pay the full cost (without any employer match)...which usually means $300 or so per month.

With both of those options available, insurance should not be a barrier to going at it on your own :)

BTW, even though I work in HR and Fin Systems and hold an insurance license, I do not practice this on a daily basis.  Make sure you double check each of the above, though I'm 100% sure of COBRA (assuming your employer meets COBRA qualifications, almost all do) and 99% sure on the pre-existing clause.

Good luck!
MCRA Race School Instructor

ceesthadees

sdiver is totally correct. I did the COBRA thing when I went out on my own until I could get a policy for my new company.

COBRA stops the insurance companys' scam of not covering pre-existing conditions, and my wife had no problems for medication costs, etc. before, during, and after the switch.

OmniGLH

Ok.  So COBRA is the way to go.  I want the least bit of hassles.  I have a call in to my HR rep to see what it's going to cost me per month to do it.  $300 = no go.  I'm hoping/betting it's gonna be less.  Back when I was considering this position a few months ago (before I injured myself and could've cared less if I extended my current policy or got a new one...) I called Blue Cross and asked about their PPO programs... was quoted $110/mo for the best package.  So I'm hoping that my current policy is around there.  I don't see why not - I'm single, no kids, etc...

Contract is somewhat short... right now he's talking 3 months.  I told him no dice, I want at LEAST 6.  He assures me that their intention is to move me over to FT once the contract expires, but I've had too many promises broken before.  He also low-balled me on the $$$.  So we'll see.  Right now this is getting shaky.

He's gotta come up on the $$ and the duration... and if my insurance comes out ok - then I'm taking it.

Anybody want to buy a 2000 GSX-R750 with 10k on it, street-ready.... or a 2001 GSX-R750 with 5k on it, race-ready?
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

OmniGLH

I should add that I'm also planning on leaving Mot as "PC" as possible.  That way if shit goes down, I can always come back here.  I know they need me - they won't find anyone else dumb enough to take over my position.

If THAT doesn't work... then I sell the house and go back to school.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak