News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

I forgot; How do you break-in new brake pads?

Started by ecumike, May 21, 2003, 06:43:48 AM

ecumike

Can someone refresh my memory as to how you're supposed to break in new pads ?

Wasn't it something like go and stop like 30 times or something ? (I dunno)

Nate R

1. Check brand of brake pads
2. If Vesrah, skip to step 6
3. If not, order Vesrah RJL pads for your bike
4. Remove current pads and toss in lake, sell on Ebay, sell to your competition, etc.
5. Install Vesrah pads.
6. Race.

;) :D

Actually, I've only heard good things about the Vesrahs, haven't tried them yet. I I think you're supposed to do a few HARD stops, and many easy ones to break in pads. I've heard a few different ways to do it, but I'm sure someone will have a good procedure for it on this board.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

motomadness

Are you changing pad brands/materials?  In any case you may want to checkout the thread in the tips and tricks section on "inconsistent brakes".  

Heat cycles and gradually increasing pressure are important for proper bed-in and to prevent glazing.  Don't forget to bleed the brake lines.

Ferodo actually recommends prepping your rotor surfaces every 3 or 4 race weekends for consistent maximum performance.

sdiver68

Quote1. Check brand of brake pads
2. If Vesrah, skip to step 6
3. If not, order Vesrah RJL pads for your bike
4. Remove current pads and toss in lake, sell on Ebay, sell to your competition, etc.
5. Install Vesrah pads.
6. Race.

I'm on the Vesrah bandwagon, although many are good that I've tried, the no break in is great :)

Hey Nate, if you skip to Step 6, you won't have any brake pads!  Or only your old ones!

MCRA Race School Instructor

Nate R

Not if you already have them installed, which is what I'm assuming. I'm guessing he has his new pads installed already, and thus they are ready to break in.  8)
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

sdiver68

MCRA Race School Instructor

ecumike

I've got 1 more set of Ferodo's CP911*s (contingency from last year)

I haven't put them in yet,  but I like 'em and just going to use these since I have them.

Maybe I'll switch to Vesrah next year.

TZDeSioux

I like Ferodo 911*. I will never switch them stinkin vesrah pads. They're gay

mdr14

If your a Ferodo guy, you will love the new Ferodo XR race pads. They are sintered and are fantastic. No corner bed in, thermally consistent over a race and races...
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com