Slicks in Thunderbike?

Started by jguyer, May 20, 2003, 07:06:12 PM

jguyer

Are slicks legal in Thunderbike?  I seem to remember reading somewhere that DOT's are required, but can't find anything about it in the rulebook.  Am I imagining things?

Thanks,

Josh

PJ

Yes, I believe slicks are allowed in Thunderbike (which follows basically the same rules as Heavyweight Sportsman where I know they were allowed).
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

pmoravek

That brings up some other questions.
On the SV isn't the LWSS class the only thing you
need DOT's for?
I was thinking about running slicks and just giving up that class. Also...are the slicks the same cost, or more expensive than the DOT's?
anyone...
anyone at all...
Bueller?
 :-/

EX#996

You are correct, the Super Sport class you must run DOT's unless the race director declares a "wet race" and then you can run rains.  Slicks are allowed for Thunderbike.

Cost of slicks vs. DOT's?  I don't know.  Ask your local tire vendor at the track.

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Bernie

Dunlop slicks cost me about fifty bucks more than 208s.

Baltobuell

UH Oh, you thinking about giving up the TL? Have I got a Buell for you! ;D

Bernie

QuoteHave I got a Buell for you! ;D

Will you throw in a few spare footpegs? ;D  I am married to that stupid TL.  I'll be riding that damn thing when it's eligible for vintage. :-/

tshort

QuoteThat brings up some other questions.
On the SV isn't the LWSS class the only thing you
need DOT's for?
I was thinking about running slicks and just giving up that class. Also...are the slicks the same cost, or more expensive than the DOT's?
anyone...
anyone at all...
Bueller?
 :-/

Unless you are *really* fast, you may find that your lap times will not show a difference between race DOTs and slicks.  For that matter, I know of at least one AMA pro team that runs DOTs instead of slicks, even tho slicks are legal - they like the tire shape better, and the difference in sticktion between the two is negligible.

Super Dave would be a good one to weigh in on this.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128