News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

From Cycle News...

Started by PJ, May 19, 2003, 01:59:27 PM

CCS

CCS and Road America tried very hard to make things work for August. The track has certain financial requirements this time of the year just as CCS/F-USA/CCE does and the details couldn't be worked out to both parties satisfaction. The negotiations are on-going but now we are talking about an August 2004 date for CCS/F-USA instead of 2003. To the best of our knowledge, the 2004 CCS event for April is already on the schedule for both organizations.  

The reason for the press release notification is we believed speed was more important than "proper channels". Every licensed rider will be receiving a newsletter in the mail within the next 10-14 days, serving as the official notification to all licensed riders.  We try not to change schedules once we release the rulebooks and license packets, but invariably with the way the days economy is, we have to be more fluid in our ability to react to changing conditions. We did not add a race to the schedule, merely moved its location.  

HPT is owned by Mike and Ray Irwin, of Blackhawk Farms, and while they cannot promise it will all be completed by August, they have assured us they are repairing the "snakes" (the old owners idea of track repair) as they can. Ray mentioned they might be able to get the ones in the turns and braking areas first, and then the rest as time allows. I trust him; he has never let me down before.  

One thing about Heartland in August, you know it will be hot. The last time we ran there in April or October, it was so hot you couldn't breathe one day and so cold you couldn't move the next, so at least we all know what to pack for clothes.  

Thanks for your support and patience

Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

tshort

QuotePutnam Park's problems with CCS go way back.  There were huge safety issues with the track.   A motorcycle racer died there.  It's a car track that is used for motorcycle racing.   

Hey Dave - just a point of clarification - do you know what specifically were the "huge" safety issues with Putnam?  The reason I ask is I heard about the guy who was killed there, and the story I heard had little to do with any inherent track safety issues.  Procedureal, maybe, but not the track itself.

I like Putnam - no, I love Putnam - and I would like nothing more than for CCS to add it to the lineup.  WERA is racing there the same weekend as the August RA event, and I joined WERA only because I wanted to race at Putnam.  The rest of their "Central" region schedule includes tracks that are a minimum of like 10-12 hours from MIlwaukee (with the exception of Grattan, I believe).

Anyway, Putnam is waaay cool. 8)
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Kevin_Barker

Tshort has the right idea.  The cost of a second racing licence is a drop in the bucket of my overall race budget, and allows me to pick and choose from 10-15 tracks and 20-30 events a year.  For example, I was leading in points for WERA, so I went to WERA Grattan last weekend.  THe track was even worse than I remebered, so after 1st practice I packed up and drove 1 hour to Gingerman.  Unpacked and ran the solo 20 (finished 3rd) and won LWSB on Sunday.  Best $100 bucks I ever spent.

lil_thorny

Kevin/SD,
thanks for saying what needed to be said, maybe
we can stop whining now....traveling sux nomatter
how far...but we need not break ourselves just to
race at a "super" track like RA. unfortunate for some
a blessing for others. BTW, I hear the best "gentlemens" club in the midwest is located
near Heartland. ;) ;)
Benj.

sdiver68

Quote Unpacked and ran the solo 20 (finished 3rd) and won LWSB on Sunday.  Best $100 bucks I ever spent.

If you are going to run CCS, you need to start calling the Saturday 1/2 hour race GT, not Solo 20 ;)
MCRA Race School Instructor

motomadness

Super Dave

QuoteHey Dave - just a point of clarification -
I like Putnam - no, I love Putnam - and I would like nothing more than for CCS to add it to the lineup.  WERA is racing there the same weekend as the August RA event, and I joined WERA only because I wanted to race at Putnam.  The rest of their "Central" region schedule includes tracks that are a minimum of like 10-12 hours from MIlwaukee (with the exception of Grattan, I believe).

Anyway, Putnam is waaay cool. 8)

I know that Kevin Elliott has tried many times on numerous occasions to try to secure a date at Putnam, but, like his post above stated..."details couldn't be worked out to both parties satisfaction"...

Kevin is obviously a good guy, sometimes other issues get in the way.  
Super Dave

Pit_Girl

QuoteBTW, I hear the best "gentlemens" club in the midwest is located
near Heartland. ;) ;)
Benj.

where's that puking smily when i need it... ahh... here it is...

gee, thanx for the info Benj ::) :P... now me (and nate! ) definately wont be goin anywhere near there... lol ;) :)

-jennifer

tzracer

Personally I think CCS is much better today than it was 8 - 10 years ago. No it is not perfect, but it is better.

Travel is nothing new. 1994 was the only year I went for points. Raced at RA, Brainerd, Heartland park, BHF (4 or 5 times), and Grattan (4 or 5 times).

ISTR that there was more like 3 or 4 motorcycle deaths at Putnum in the fist 3 or 4 years. The last corner was reconfigured at least twice. After CCS went the first tme, there was a vote held at a riders meeting at the next race. Racers voted to not return to Putnum due to poor facilities  and safety.

Had surgury today, typing one handed sucks.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

roadracer797

Benji
Hey if I go to Topeka are you going to take me to one of the gentlemens clubs as repayment for welding your frame the last time at Blackhawk?
LOL hey i hope you got that thing fixed the right way instead of a quick fix, sorry i couldn't spend more time on it for you.
Craig
Oh payment would bein the form of one lap dance

Super_KC124

Would Benji be giving the lap dance ???

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteRay Irwin, the owner of Blackhawk Farms, did buy Heartland Park Topeka.  The layout is great, but it is different than other tracks, so some can have problems with the cracks and sealer.  I haven't had problems there myself in the fall down department, but I can understand problems faced by those that have no clue about suspension set up.

I had a freind that crashed at HP due to loosing traction on the sealer strips, but I personally have never crashed at HP. I have seen a number of racers either go down or need to change their underwear after having a bad encounter with the sealer strips. I usually just warn people about them so they are aware ahead of time that the strips can cause a change in traction when crossing over them.

I like the track layout at Heartland Park for the most part and look forward to racing there again (hopefully the weather won't be unbearable or producing Tornado's as in the past!  :o ).

I too will have to take extra time off work for traveling now that the event will not be at RA like originally scheduled, which is somewhat of a pain in the butt due to the Barber event being the next weekend, but it's worth going! It's good to hear that the new owners are going to do some track improvements, a definate plus for all of us! ;D
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96