News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Maladin's tire

Started by EX#996, May 17, 2003, 05:02:06 PM

EX#996

What brand of tire was Maladin running in the AMA Superbike race at Road Atlanta today?  Holy smokes!  That had to be a truly "Oh Crap, help me God, moment" :o

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

r6_philly

QuoteWhat brand of tire was Maladin running in the AMA Superbike race at Road Atlanta today?  Holy smokes!  That had to be a truly "Oh Crap, help me God, moment" :o

Dawn  

I think all factory guys runs Dunlops?

Another thing : Brian Livengood crashed at high speed (same corner?) on Friday with a suspected tire failure too. It was reported that his rear tire smoked right before he crashed in the turn and getting air lifted. He was on Dunlops as well... hmmmmmmm

Mlading sure had a good enough save though. sucks to be mladin. Maybe he is riding that thing too hard  ;D

GAMEDIC

Mladin was on Dunlop and just FYI Brian is OK

Super Dave

Yes, Dunlop buys the factory teams and additional other front runners.  I believe that both tires lost air and then the results happened.  We'll never really know the exact cause, but those things can happen.  It's a rough track and the 1000's are still putting out 170HP in really easy privateer trim.
Super Dave

MightyDuc Racing

I heard they thought Livengood might have ran over some debris shortly before the incident.  I'm just glad he's okay.  Anybody hear anything about Deatherage (Sp?), the guy that caused the red flag in the other race in the esses?  Couldn't see him and he was right by a wall.  Scary stuff...maybe they need to move some more walls there.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

duc995@aol.com

Remember when Ben Bostrom's Dunlop let go at Daytona tire testing when he was riding for Ducati in the US.  How come it is only the Dunlops that fail?

r6_philly

QuoteRemember when Ben Bostrom's Dunlop let go at Daytona tire testing when he was riding for Ducati in the US.  How come it is only the Dunlops that fail?

Maybe the privateer bikes that uses other brands are not as hard on tires? I don't use dunlops, so I don't care as much, but it does raise a question or two.

anyone in club racing had similar experiences I wonder?

I had a bridgestone tread come apart once, but thats cuz the tire guy mounted it the wrong way.

I had a 207GP develop a cut across the tread last year, but the dunlop guy told me it was probably a saftwire cut  :-/

harb990

QuoteHow come it is only the Dunlops that fail?

Not true - remember last year when Rossi's michelin threw a chunk out it - can't remember the race

tigerblade

QuoteRemember when Ben Bostrom's Dunlop let go at Daytona tire testing when he was riding for Ducati in the US.  How come it is only the Dunlops that fail?

The vast majority of the field is running Dunlops (in AMA).  Your sample size is much greater than other brands, so the chances of something bad happening are greater than they are for other brands.  
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Dawn

Tire failures can happen with any brand of tire.  I was looking at the tread pattern and trying to figure out what it was.  It was really scarry to see.

Dawn  

spyderchick

Don't they run slicks in Superbike? Anyhow, believe me, the tire manufacturers do not want this happening at the national level. Bad press. They will have it analyzed and fixed pronto.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Litespeed

I have personally seen 4 Dunlop 208GP's develop what looked to be a cut/crack perpendicular to the rotation of the tire on my friend's bikes from a trackday.  The worse of which split open enough to see the belts under the tread.  They were running proper air pressure and overall the tires looked good with the exception of the cut/crack.  None of the other brands of tires at the track on those days showed any abnormal features so I'm assuming it was a deffective batch.  I hadn't run Dunlop's up to that point and after seeing that I'm pretty sure I won't.