News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

LP Days.  I'm not happy.

Started by K3 Chris Onwiler, May 17, 2003, 10:57:23 AM

r6_philly

QuoteI got screwed during a recent LP track day as well.  CCS scheduled a LP day on the Friday before a normal race weekend, which is normally great for those who want/need a little extra practice before racing.  On this particular weekend, however, I was only able to make the practice day--not stick around for the race weekend.  Still, laps are laps.

My one concern was the gate fee. Normally, so long as you leave the track by early evening and turn in your wrist band, your gate fee is refunded. Wanting to make sure this was the case, I called the CCS office on Thursday to confirm the refund policy.  The girl I spoke with was very nice and told me "absolutely" the gate fee is refundable for those not staying the whole weekend. It was based on this info. that I and my wife made the 3 hour trip.  You guessed it--- I arrive at the gate and am told there will be no refunds on the gate fee of $30/person.  Now I've already loaded my trailer, woken up at 4 in the morning, and driven 3 hours-- I'm not turing back now. But before I've ridden a single lap my one day adventure has already cost me $60.

Now I approached the CCS people and was informed that there was a new system in place, the track was handling gate fees, and they controlled refunds or lack thereof.  Bottom line, refunds were the tracks deal and I wasn't getting one.

At this point I naively believed that common sense would prevail. Afterall, I specifically called and spoke with a rep. from CCS to obtain gate info. and made the trip based on that info.  Having been given incorrect info. my foolish belief in logic had me thinking that CCS would do the right thing and give me the refund.  No. They took no responsibility whatsoever.

It's my understanding that CCS didn't know until they arrived Thursday evening about the new policy. (Which is a whole other problem.) So the girl I spoke with that day wasn't aware that she was giving me incorrect info.  Regardless, when a representative of a company makes a mistake, the company is responsible for making amends.  

Or so you'd think. I've been loyally racing with CCS for 5 years despite other less expensive alternatives.  Now I'm starting to understand why the CCS grids at least appear to be getting smaller... If they're not getting smaller, this kind of treatment certainly isn't going to make them grow.

I was told last year that I could show up at a LP day before the race weekend, register for the weekend races, and pay $75 to ride that practice day at the same time. This info was posted by Tiffiney on this board, and also emailed to me.

I showed up at summit point, and was told that I could not register for weekend races until after 3pm. Hence I have to pay $100 to practice. It was only a $25 difference, but I was really pissed when I nicely informed the lady at the registration that I was quoted the wrong info, the response was "Tiffiney is new, she doesn't know anything".

Not to bash anyone, but I wrote back to tiffiney after the weekend is over to inform that I was wrongly informed, I did not receive any kind of apologies. I didn't even go as far as wanting a $25 refund because of what I was quoted.

It just seems that we are going to get from CCS what we are going to get. I never felt like I could have compell or motivate anyone from CCS to accomplish anything. Everything is either take it as it is, or hope for a change, No one is particularly interested in my opinions as a VERY WELL PAYING customer.

You experience may vary, but I suspect they will be more of the same. and I am not entirely confident that anything will change before we all move on to a different org. OR that CCS gets owned by a company that cares *obviously not CC"

We racers should start a collective investment group and buy back CCS for ourselves. If I had that money I would do it in a second, at least I have racing in mind, not just treating it as the smallest division in  my global company

Super Dave

Oh boy.  I'll listen.  But I will refrain from commenting.  But I do feel the pain, myself. 8)
Super Dave

r6_philly

QuoteOh boy.  I'll listen.  But I will refrain from commenting.  But I do feel the pain, myself. 8)

I wish CCS would listen too   :P then maybe we wouldn't comment as much  :-X

SliderPhoto

It's an LP track day. Perhaps you should voice your concerns to LP...

TZ_Boy

I knew of the schedule a few month's ago because we were discussing it on this board.  The schedule has been on the CCS website for almost a month.  But some racer's don't check this board or the CCS site, apparently the race director was one of them because he didn't know of the schedule change until raceday.

I was told that 12 trackday people showed up, does this justify changing an entire race weekend schedule?  Super Dave didn't you say that Advanced trackday people would be using the same safety measures that we take?  I beleive you said that they would have water, safety wire, hardend engine covers, and sharkskinz.  This of course being the only logical way to allow trackday people on the track at the same time as racer's otherwise why would you require racer's to take this measure.  Every person I saw in the Advanced group had tape on their headlights and turnsignals.

OmniGLH

QuoteWe racers should start a collective investment group and buy back CCS for ourselves. If I had that money I would do it in a second, at least I have racing in mind, not just treating it as the smallest division in  my global company

That's not a bad idea.. I wonder what it would take?

I've actually been wondering recently how hard it would be to start a new race series?  Not all tracks are $10k to rent - most tracks, the prices change based on who's renting it.  BHF costs CCS $10k.  But if *I* rent it out for me and some friends, it's somewhere around $3k.  It can't be all that hard to negotiate a better price with some of the tracks to get a new org off the ground.... maybe get a few sponsors ahead of time....
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

r6_philly

QuoteThat's not a bad idea.. I wonder what it would take?

I've actually been wondering recently how hard it would be to start a new race series?  Not all tracks are $10k to rent - most tracks, the prices change based on who's renting it.  BHF costs CCS $10k.  But if *I* rent it out for me and some friends, it's somewhere around $3k.  It can't be all that hard to negotiate a better price with some of the tracks to get a new org off the ground.... maybe get a few sponsors ahead of time....

I would totally entertain that idea. I know enough about renting and running event at the track, but it is hard to produce a good event and have everyone take you seriously. Getting dates at the tracks may be tricky too since big orgs will try to get you out of their way. Must be new and refreshing, instead of the 'good ole' race weekend. Send me an email and we can have fun with the idea. I would totally want to try it out...

Super Dave

QuoteThat's not a bad idea.. I wonder what it would take?

First, it takes an easy $6k per day during the week for me to have the track.  You might be able to do it for less for you and some friends, yes.  As for getting a better price...there are only so many race tracks in the nation.  And there are only so many weekends.  Now, add the SCCA, Porsche clubs, etc...many dates are long standing dates that organizations have been renting for years.  You want to take those dates away...you'd better have deep pockets.

Sponsors...the motorcycle industry is really cr@ppy.  Should be the same for me in my school that I should have some fairly decent sponsors.  However, the American motorcycle industry is kind of stupid.  They will jump on certain programs and not on others.  I do have some decent sponsors that do supply us with things that are of some real value, but as for others in the industry...they ask for things, I send them, then you can't even get a response back.  Very silly.
Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteSuper Dave didn't you say that Advanced trackday people would be using the same safety measures that we take?  I beleive you said that they would have water, safety wire, hardend engine covers, and sharkskinz.  This of course being the only logical way to allow trackday people on the track at the same time as racer's otherwise why would you require racer's to take this measure.  Every person I saw in the Advanced group had tape on their headlights and turnsignals.

When I do a day with CCS on the Thursday before the races at BFR, my PRO group must have all the proper race stuff...as should all the CCS/SRD advanced guys.  Not sure how they are doing it in other regions, but that's how it goes here.  Street and Sport groups do NOT have the same requirements.
Super Dave

sdiver68

Here's an idea on misc fees, and more open minds are required as this is just IMHO:

Why don't you add $50 to your race budget each weekend.  Consider this $50 the same as fuel, tires, entry fees, etc..., going to be spent, you just don't know exactly on what yet.

Then, when the "unexpected $10, $25 hits you, it just comes out of the $50 as ALREADY SPENT.  Some weekends you will come out ahead, some behind.

Life is too short to be worried about such nickle and dime stuff.  Have fun out there, don't worry, be happy!  We are all making big sacrifices to be out there, or for that matter we all choose to do certain things that preclude doing other things.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Litespeed

It's not the nickle and dime stuff that bothers me, it's driving for 8+ hours to ride two days and go home.  Last year I was at most of the Friday practice sessions which gave me a lot of track time and I could justify the long drives.  This year, we have very few Fridays available to us and driving 8 hours each way for a total of 4 practice sessions (sometimes 5) and a handful of races just isn't worth it.  CCS should also start to reconsider there regions, since I don't feel that Firebird in Phoenix AZ should be considered a Pacific event and Buttonwillow shouldn't be a SW event.  I think they do it because they think they will force us to go to more races but instead they are driving people away.  It takes a huge commitment to travel 12 hours each way for a race weekend and once you figure you can't make one of them, there is no reason to make any of them.  The correct thing to do would be to fix the schedule and cut us to 8 races instead of 10 or at least give us 2 throw away rounds so that people that would like to see how well they do overall in the season aren't punished for not havnig unlimited budget and time off of work.

tzracer

About track rentals.

If you are renting for a private test day vs a school/track day vs a race day, most tracks have different rental fees and gate fees (or percentage that the track takes). There is also insurance, corner workers, and ambulaces.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke