Help list bikes avail for 300cc classes

Started by spoot, April 24, 2019, 11:05:27 PM

spoot

I know many peeps have asked which bikes CAN run in a particular class...specific make\models.
The rule-book only lists general configuration, so you can dream up anything and see if it fits.
Well, I thought maybe we can all group-think this and develop a list so others can refer to it. We can start other threads to address 500cc class and others classes as well.
((I'm pulling general stuff from wiki or google))

Now, technically, you could race some wack-a-doodle models that wouldn't be listed here... but, at least we can try to get the main ones.
Please chip in!

300SS - North American, general retail sales, street-legal bikes
1988-1990 Honda VTR250  26rwhp
2011-2013 Honda CBR250R  24rwhp
2014-current Honda CBR300R  26rwhp
2019 Honda CB300R  27.5rwhp (-35lbs)

1986-2007 Kawasaki N250 25bhp
2008-2012 Kawasaki N250 25bhp
2009-2017 Kawasaki N300 40bhp

2018-current Suzuki GSX-R250

1973-1979 Yamaha RD250
1973-1975 Yamaha RD350 35-40bhp

300SB - World bikes, general retail sales, street-legal bikes
2002-current Honda CBR150R
2009-2018 Honda VTR250
2017-current Honda CBR250RR 31.8rwhp - parallel twin
CCS MW Am #518
WiRiders.com

spoot

doesn't look like I can edit my post...so, here is an add in the 300SBK class

86-95 Yamaha TZR250 = 250\2stroke\twin = 45bhp
Electric Bikes under 125 Volts:
CCS MW Am #518
WiRiders.com

britx303

Quote from: spoot on April 28, 2019, 01:27:00 PM
doesn't look like I can edit my post...so, here is an add in the 300SBK class

86-95 Yamaha TZR250 = 250\2stroke\twin = 45bhp
Electric Bikes under 125 Volts:
As fun as a tzr250 would be.........my rulebook shows that it wouldn't be legal for 300sbk. The rulebook spells out liquid cooled 4T twins up to 300cc specifically and the only spot it leaves that open between 2T and 4T is for air-cooled twins up to 350cc............i.e. a well setup rd350 would be a good cookie-cutter breaker from the run of the mill ex300's as a way to spice up the monotony  :thumb:

spoot

After I read the rules, again...you are correct sir.
It looks like the TZR would be in the 500sbk class, then.
I've been OCD'ing on reading about all kinds of bikes trying to get a somewhat comprehensive list going...
There are prob a number of motard'd bikes that might make the list as well.

I raced a buddies RD350, but it had OE rims, so no real good choices on rubber.
and we still had some tweaking to do to get more power...and I'm a big guy for a little bike (loose hp due to body weight) :(
CCS MW Am #518
WiRiders.com

Woofentino Pugrossi

Well from what Eric said on FB, Yamaha R3's and KTM RC390's are now legal in 300SS/SB.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Zaph

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on November 30, 2019, 11:16:25 AM
Well from what Eric said on FB, Yamaha R3's and KTM RC390's are now legal in 300SS/SB.

Everyone with an R3 and RC390: "Yay! this is what we've been waiting for and campaigning for!" "Allow us to list the many, many great reasons for this new rule change!"

Everyone with a 300:  "Nooooo!"  "You just opened the flood gates to making our bikes the slowest on the grid!"  "Time to sell the 300, abandon the class and move on to something else."

CCS just killed the class with that rule. That class was for made for the Ninja 300, but racers will be leaving it because it's not competitive anymore. The grid will shrink to a few R3's and RC390's and then be gone in a year or two.  I could maybe let the R3 squeak in but not the RC390.  In 500SS those damn things always left my 300 in the dust on the straights even when I was running MR12 and a great tune.

It's unfortunate because the Ninja 300 is the most plentiful ultralight there ever was, and there are enough of them out there to support a class completely dedicated to just that bike for the next 10 years.  There are more out there than SV650's.

I feel like this rule change was a response to R3 and RC390 riders being pissed off by the Ninja 400 being allowed in 500SS, which in itself was a bad decision.  If that had not been done, those guys would not be complaining and whining so hard to get in another class where their bikes are more competitive.

I understand the CCS concerns with these classes: "How do we allow the most bikes on the grid?"  But they have to be real careful with non standardized bike classes.  CCS needs to stick to hard CC limits to maintain fairness and avoid pissing off existing racers.  People invest serious money in building bikes.   What do you tell the guy who this year decided to build the best bike for 300SS, dumped $3000 into suspension, paid for tuning, exhaust and all the other race bits on a Ninja 300, only to hear that next year a whole bunch of faster bikes are allowed in his class?

So now what.  Kinda hard to undo bad rule changes.   :err:

Woofentino Pugrossi

Easy solution for all of this.

Make an approved list of bikes for each class. No more oddballs allowed. Must be an actual sportbike based motorcycle, no nakeds, standards, offroad conversions to road, special production bikes (ie R7, Desmos, H2's and the like). Then again I'm probably done with bikes after this season. Looking at getting a car for short track racing and just sticking with 4 wheels. Still gonna road race (cars) but do the short track stuff for fun. Just get out of the car after every session, grab a banjo and start playing while screaming "Turn left, turn left, turn left". :biggrin:
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Zaph

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on December 02, 2019, 04:47:25 PM
Easy solution for all of this.

Make an approved list of bikes for each class. No more oddballs allowed.   :biggrin:

That would be the best thing that ever happened to the CCS.  Long term it would pay off too.

Highly unlikely though because the CCS mindset is "We have a spot on the grid for everybody."  Short term they get a few more registrations from oddballs.  But long term serious damage to the class as other bikes are allowed in, frustrated racers leave and the class is in flux with an unclear future.

CCS thought they were saying hello to some extra R3 and RC390 race registration dollars.  They are but long term they are saying goodbye to a greater number of Ninja 300 registration dollars.

Super Dave

The world of motorcycles is pretty much constantly changing.  Standard needs to be in quotes.

Lightweight production classes used to be dominated by RZ350's.  Then EX500's came.  Then FZR400's.  Hawk NT650's.  SV650's.  The world was going to end with various production machines.

Real standardization was available in GP classes.  Production classes are the most subjective and there is an absolute certainly of flux from manufacturing. 
Super Dave