News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

New Vintage class forks??

Started by britx303, December 18, 2016, 06:38:48 PM

britx303

So looking at the New Vintage class rules,it says conventional forks required. Didn't some bikes eligible otherwise,come with USD forks from the factory?

Eric Kelcher

Yes and some otherwise legal classic bikes came with fuel injection.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

britx303

Are we suppose to swap them to conventional? Im not being sarcastic........im in 100% for supporting the class/classes,and want to be legal

Eric Kelcher

Quote from: britx303 on December 18, 2016, 09:33:00 PM
Are we suppose to swap them to conventional? Im not being sarcastic........im in 100% for supporting the class/classes,and want to be legal

For the vintage classes conventional forms are required
For classic carbs required
Otherwise Superbike/Grand Prix rules depending on class and displacement.
Eric Kelcher

apriliaman

Britx303 as an example on the fzr 400 your not allowed to upgrade to modern R6 forks.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

britx303

Thats all fine and well since I run stock FZR suspension on the FZR's. Its another bike altogether  that I wanted to race in "premier",but it came stock with USD forks rendering it pointless and illegal :whine: :biggrin:

MACOP1104

I'm curious to see where the Vintage classes will be gridded.   Their own race or behind an existing class?

britx303

Quote from: MACOP1104 on December 26, 2016, 10:34:02 AM
I'm curious to see where the Vintage classes will be gridded.   Their own race or behind an existing class?
The daytona schedules up, to get an idea.

Doxgon22

What year is your FZR with inverted forks?  My '99 R6 had conventional forks.  I'm wondering how your FZR had inverted.....

britx303

Quote from: Doxgon22 on December 27, 2016, 02:07:21 PM
What year is your FZR with inverted forks?  My '99 R6 had conventional forks.  I'm wondering how your FZR had inverted.....
Me? I dont have inverted forks on any of my FZRs. Thats not even my plan. I was asking about "if"and "why?"bikes that would be legal for premier vintage,why they have to change from USD forks that came as stock,and swap them to conventional forks.I was about to bite the bullet on a bike for the premier class until I realised I was going to have to find a frontend that is NOT stock in order to be legal once I saw the rules for the classes.

Eric Kelcher

Thought I had answered more completely here than I did, had this question asked in a variety of places plus emails.

The rules were put in place with the combo of year and equipment so the technology was more of a limit than a year so as to allow for the leaps and "BNG" of each make to come into parity so there was not an overdog by a year only cutoff rule. This is untested waters for us and we hoped to inclusive, not exclusive, of existing vintage racers with still having clearly defined lines for rule enforcement, spectators and fair competition.
Eric Kelcher

JSR29

Sorry. I guess I just don't get it. What bike is a 92 superbike with conventional forks supposed to be? By 92 every superbike on the grid had USD forks on it. I'm not trying to be a pain either but I don't understand. Can't run my 92 851. Can't run a 92 GSXR. Can't run a 92 ZXR. Why 92 then?

Capitalview

GSX-R 600

Whoops. Just checked.  Those had inverted forks too.

Zaph

Wow, I didn't realize inverted forks went that far back.

Yes, 92 seems like a year that doesn't make sense for a general cutoff year for vintage.

duck996

If the bikes came with inverted forks as OEM then they should be allowed. Its absurd to have to change the forks on a 1992 ducati 888 to conventional forks to be able to race it.

britx303

Lets not break too many balls here :biggrin:  Its a new thing and just needs ironing out and will take a little bit. No sense poking at CCS and not run in any of the "Vintage" classes :nanana:  So who's in?  :cheers:

Zaph

Or, CCS could just take the year out of the description for vintage and make conventional forks and carburetors the only limitation.

notbostrom

The point is not to make people swap parts. The point is to exclude bikes that have all the characteristics of modern bikes. It's a vintage class. If you don't want to ride vintage tech ride the regular ccs classes.
Ben "Notbostom"