News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Rear Sets

Started by Steviebee, May 13, 2003, 10:26:31 PM

Steviebee

Ok, another newbie question !!

Rear sets.

I race  a 2k Gixer 750 ( with a ton of other peeps right!)

So rear sets !!  Ones that move the pegs back and up a bit.

Opinions !!  Love them, hate them ?  What did they do for you ?

Should i get them ?  How would it affect my riding style (not that i have one yet)

Im at the point where i am comforatble getting my knee down,  but im nowhere close to grinding a peg.

dwilson

I got rear set adapters because everytime I took a good turn I scraped my feet.  I actually had to lift my foot off the peg or it would grind.  If clearance isn't a problem why bother?

tzracer

The main reason I changed the pegs on my bike is to get rid of the folding pegs. While riding I have had footpegs fold up. I also prefer the added grip most aftermarket pegs have.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

KBOlsen

I'm still using the stock footpeg assemblies, but John made a set of brackets that moved them up/back about an inch.  Made a significant difference for a few dollars in parts.  No more dragging my toes!

My question:  Why wouldn't you want your footpegs to fold?
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Bsmedic

I don't usaully give my opinion, but I have to on this one. I would leave them on if I were you. THEY FOLD UP. It's percect. No broken peices. Don't spend $300 on a nice pair from pre-tec if you don't have too. The only reason would be to save weight, and adjust your feet. You don't have a problem with your feet, and in the am. divison a pound that you would save on the pro-tec's won't make a differences. If you have $300 to spend...... Suspension,Suspension,Suspension.

tzracer

I use my feet when I ride (move them around quite a bit), probably due to dirt riding. I don't like the footpegs folding up while I am riding (Jason D. has the same problem)causes my foot to come off the footpeg. I use Woodcraft rearsets. When I crashed my RC, the footpeg did not break, it held the bike off the ground like a slider.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Bernie

QuoteMy question:  Why wouldn't you want your footpegs to fold?

Non-folding pegs have saved my exhaust cans and subframe on more than one occasion.  First crash with stock pegs = buy new cans for the TL.  I've got 3 good crashes since then with Pro-Tek rearsets.  In those, I've melted a frame slider or two and completely ground down a footpeg, but no damage to my exhaust canisters. :)

One thing I hate about the ProTeks is that they have a right and left footpeg, with the knurling facing the wrong way if you put them on the wrong side.  The sets that have round 360 degree knurled pegs that work for either side seem like a better idea.

james-redsv

One thing to consider with aftermarket ridged rearsets, if you lean too far and the pegs drag you could lever the rear tire up enough to slide out. I was behind another SV, same lean angle and speed, turn 1 at Roebling. He had rearsets  that didnt fold, I did. He levered his bike and the ass end lost traction, he crashed. My pegs folded up slightly, I didnt crash and waved to him as I went by. ;D I was thinking about some new rearset until this happened, now I will keep what I have. They arent stock, they are GP Teck under cuts from Parts Unlimited with plates I made to raise them up and back about an in. Works unreal, only cost me $43 for the pegs and some time to build the plates. :P

Nate R

There's woodcraft high and low rearsets, and you could always make the peg shorter.

I love my Woodcraft rearsets. They are stronger than the stock cast brackets (on teh SV anyway) and can be bent back to shape after a crash instead of just snapping.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

KBOlsen

Interesting feedback, guys!

The whole "levering"/"pogoing" thing is a big part of the reason we opted to stay with the stock units (plus, they are relatively plentiful and inexpensive on eBay).  I just kept visualizing a "fixed" footpeg getting caught in the curb/mud/whatever and causing the bike to tumble/bounce more than it otherwise would.  I do notice them a bit every so often when moving my feet but not to the point that it diverts my attention.

Was just wondering if I was really "missing something" by not going with an aftermarket unit.

Thanks! :)
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Xian_13

Okay I have to add my 2 cents ;D

I have Woodcraft rear sets, Left side has a flex peg and right side has a fixed peg!
I honestly can't notice any difference from the two.
As far are dragging pegs, I have a ZX6R, and last weekend I was dragging the fixed peg... Never even noticed that peg was dragging. The thing is, once you reach the point of dragging pegs there are so many other things that are dragging also... well in my case, I was dragging my lowers and my Exhaust can, not to mention my toe!
On my only low side, the bike was supported by the foot peg, it bent a little but that is all.
BTW Kim, Gratz on the wood!
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Steviebee

Thanks for all the comments guys..

I really not sure if i should bother with getting some. So ask you guys.  I dont think im in danger of dragging pegs anytime soon.  But like the idea that they would help save exhaust can in a slide (maybe).

james-redsv

If you want to save the exaust in a lowside buy some frame and swingarm sliders. Most aftermarket rearsets are designed to snap off anyway  even though sometimes they bend. ::)

MightyDuc Racing

You guys could always get a bike like mine.  My pegs go right into the back of the frame.  No rear sets of any kind on the bike.  Of course you have to have them custom made and then you gotta deal with all the problems of having a Duc. ;D  By the way, they are high enough to not touch until I crash.  As far as folding goes, must be a dirt thing, I can't stand folding pegs.  Gotta have something solid under my feet as I move around.  I tend to move my feet to different positions alot, just never realized that it might be a dirt riding thing. :)
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM