Elbow Position

Started by Steviebee, May 13, 2003, 08:25:35 PM

Steviebee

ok, im a newbie to racing, only ben in a few races and a few track days, and a few schools.

I'm a VRS student so i know what Superdave's advice is about this, but id thought id hear some other racers thoughts.

Elbow position ?   Low or High.

Watching racing on TV this weekend,  Ben Speis (spelling??)  FX racer,  Elbows up high like a MX racer.

Doug Chandler  / (V. Rossi also too maybe)  Elbows low, almost laying on the tank/knees.

So is this two differnt riding styles ??  or two differnt body compositions ?  Is one guy tall vs  short ??

I remeber Pridmores school teaching elbows tucked in / Low .   While i have also been told Up high like a MX racer.

Just wondering opinions on what some of you expert racers are doing.  I've got alot to learn, and i know there's a lot of other newbies on here that might want to know too.

One thing at a time !!

Decreasing_Dave

One high...one low.

The next race switch, that way you won't get tired and you confuse your competition.

;D

Steviebee

tigerblade

I took STAR school, so I guess Jason's technique is what I use (or try to use).  Makes sense to me that having your arms relaxed minimizes unwanted inputs into the bars.  You let the front work instead of fighting it.  

Although Spies' style seems to be working just fine for him...
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Baltobuell

When you loose it, you'll want your elbows loose and close to your body. Your collerbone will thank you. ;D

tzracer

You have to figure out what works best for you. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it, just the way that works best for you. Try holding your elbow in different positions, which do you like best?

I recall reading an article in which a US pro racer was describing the 'correct' way to hang off a bike. I turned a few pages and saw a picture of a rider who was not hanging off according to the article, it said Doohan on his back.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

spyderchick

LOL, good one Brian. ;) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Steviebee

You know, every time i get out on the track, im trying to learn something new.

Actually sometimes it seems like im trying to remind myself a bunch of differnt things,  foot position, head, body, elbows, weight distribution.  

Sometimes once i get on the track i forget to acomplish what i wanted to do, and just keep yelling inside my helmet that im actually screaming around a track dragging my knee.

Is there nothing better that this sport !!

MightyDuc Racing

I tend to ride with my elbows up, alot like Spies I guess.  Must again be something from all the dirt riding when I was younger.  I do, however, notice that it tends to cause my arms and hands to tire a bit quicker, and I am constantly trying to remind myself to bring the elbows in and relax more.  If you read the Keith Code books, he tells you to almost try to lay your arms on the tank and keep the elbows in to avoid excessive steering inputs.  I'll keep working on it, but it's a hard habit to break.  Isn't that a Chicago song?  Oops, wrong thread for that. ;D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Thingy

I agree that whatever is most comfortable is probably the best.  I have my elbows in, or low.  I rest the outside arm on the side of the tank with my elbow and knee sometimes touching.

But, I believe that Kevin Hanson said that when he went to American Supercamp, they were preaching the 'elbows high' method.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

tshort

QuoteI agree that whatever is most comfortable is probably the best.  I have my elbows in, or low.  I rest the outside arm on the side of the tank with my elbow and knee sometimes touching.

But, I believe that Kevin Hanson said that when he went to American Supercamp, they were preaching the 'elbows high' method.

Yep - elbows high - it's a dirt riding/sliding thing.  If you're gonna slide, you want your elbows high for more leverage on the bars.  Put your fists out in front of you grabbing imaginary handlebars, and try "moving" the bars with your elbows in at your sides, and then high and wide.  See how much easier it is with elbows up?  Much greater range of motion, and ability to put more muscle in with them up.  

If your into sliding (especially the rear) elbows up gives you the ability to fine tune steering inputs more effectively than elbows down.  Personally, I adjust my elbows depending on the corner.  In general, keeping arms a bit loose and relaxed, rather than rigidly locked in any one position is probably at least as important as where your elbows are at any given time.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

TZDeSioux

I heard only gay guys ride with elbows high but I could be wrong.  :-/