New racer looking for advice

Started by JKBRacing, November 16, 2015, 03:44:47 PM

JKBRacing

Hi everyone,
I really want to start racing 2016. I think I would like to race the SV650. What are the pros and cons to the SV650 1st vs 2nd generation. Should I look for a street bike to convert to track bike or spring for one that is ready to race. Being 46, Formula 40 sounds like fun to me and the class I would be racing in. I would want the bike to be a versatile as possible allowing me to enter as many races as I can. From what I can see from reading the 2014 rules the SV650 would be very versatile.

If I cannot acquire the SV650 I have a 96' 900 Ducati Monster that is track worthy I ride at track days. Are there any other two vale air cooled monsters on the track? I don't see any at the track days.

Thanks in advance for anyone's time to help steer a newbe in the right direction...
Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help point a new racer in the right direction. 

LWT Racer

2nd Gen SV over 1st Gen mainly so you don't have to deal with Carbs.  Also more parts for 2nd Gens out there.

buy one track prepped otherwise you will waste a lot of money track prepping a street bike.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

JKBRacing

JKBRacing

Do they have Formula 40 at all or most race events?

Capitalview

Woofentino Pugrossi

We had a couple Duc 900SS's rolling around in LW classes a few years ago.

Wouldn't worry if the SV is 1st or 2nd gen. Both are fine. Some people swear by 1st, some by 2nd. All personal choice. Buy a bike already set up for racing. Most then you'd have to do is redo the suspension for your weight.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

clarustnb

It's all personal choice - unless you have a second gen.  Then your personal choice is wrong because first gens are the best!

Sam's right on carbs though - they suck, and when mine went on the fritz at Summit this year I realized how many SVs there are, but how few carbed ones there are.

Also Second Gens suck.
Benjamin Loyle
SV650 # 909
http://loyle.lwtracer.com/

LWT Racer

Basically don't listen to Ben... That's what Ben is saying. He likes his 1st gen but knows 2nd gen is the easier way to go.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

kvanengen

There is a trade off between both models. I could go into detail, however, as a first year racer those details do not matter. The reality is that both are going to get the job done. I've seen racers run well on both Gen models.

If it were me, I would find a bike that is set up and ready to go. Building a bike is going to cost more than buying one that someone else spent the time and money to turn into a race bike.

KV

JKBRacing

Thanks for the feedback all! From what I have seen the only places I have found that have classifieds for Race bikes are the WERA Site or this one. Any other places to look? I see some people swap out the front ends and replace the shocks with other manufactures. Is there a production shock and front end that is exceptional and cost effective to put on these bikes? Might I be better off sticking with a bike that has a Stock front end, with Race tech springs and gold valves, and an aftermarket shock? What kind of rear shocks are good for these bikes. Ohlins Penske....?
Thanks all for you time.

pdoughduc

Very few of the old 2v Duc's out there.  They're still a decent platform against the SV's and I still got beat by better riders on SVs.  There are several classes out there to ride on either bike - LW F40 most likely being your best - and at least one more (Ultralight SBK) that's basically an SV class only.  Sam will have anything you need from SV world!  Best bet and cheapest way to get your feet wet is a track prepped SV, a race school/license and then hit your most local track for a race weekend! 
Mid-Atlantic/Atlantic
AM #82
Ducati 900SS

bruce71198

If your willing to convert your Monster to a track bike that would be your most obvious choice. It would be a good beginner bike. Paging Jim Berrard.