News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

New racer looking for advice

Started by JKBRacing, November 16, 2015, 03:44:47 PM

JKBRacing

Thanks all for the input. Went to http://wiest.lwtracer.com/machine/ . Many of my questions for SV setup became obvious. Nice Bikes! I know I could have a lot of fun on my Monster and the more I learn it seems more like the logical choice for the first year. I could pick up an SV after a year of experience giving me more versatility. I am concerned that the 2 Valve Monsters geometry makes it less practical hence the reason I don't see any at track days or hear of people racing them. My last track day I felt as though the front end was light and that I was riding the back tire more. Tread wear reflected this as well. It was making me begin to think the bike has an inherent rearward weight bias. I'm thinking that if I put clip on's on it will move enough of my weight forward to balance things out. All I need to get the monster on the track is a belly pan, Clip ons and steering damper.

JKBRacing

Quote from: bruce71198 on November 19, 2015, 10:26:06 AM
If your willing to convert your Monster to a track bike that would be your most obvious choice. It would be a good beginner bike. Paging Jim Berrard.
Jim Berrard? Does he race a monster?

bruce71198

Quote from: Newracer46 on November 19, 2015, 01:56:46 PM
Jim Berrard? Does he race a monster?

Yes, Midwest guy. he will pipe in I hope. Farmboy on here.

JKBRacing

Quote from: bruce71198 on November 19, 2015, 05:08:28 PM
Yes, Midwest guy. he will pipe in I hope. Farmboy on here.
Great! I'm Midwest too. I will keep an eye out for him. He would be good for me to talk to.
Thanks again Bruce

pdoughduc

Quote from: Newracer46 on November 19, 2015, 01:54:17 PM
I am concerned that the 2 Valve Monsters geometry makes it less practical hence the reason I don't see any at track days or hear of people racing them. My last track day I felt as though the front end was light and that I was riding the back tire more. Tread wear reflected this as well. It was making me begin to think the bike has an inherent rearward weight bias. I'm thinking that if I put clip on's on it will move enough of my weight forward to balance things out. All I need to get the monster on the track is a belly pan, Clip ons and steering damper.

You'd be surprised how awful stock suspension setups are on track.  If you were to track the Monster I'd recommend at least getting front and rear springs set for your weight.  The stock stuff is set up progressively and meant for a rider and passenger so it's generally crap on the track.  Springs and a simple sag setup will be night and day over stock. 
Mid-Atlantic/Atlantic
AM #82
Ducati 900SS

JKBRacing

Quote from: pdoughduc on November 20, 2015, 10:47:05 AM

You'd be surprised how awful stock suspension setups are on track.  If you were to track the Monster I'd recommend at least getting front and rear springs set for your weight.  The stock stuff is set up progressively and meant for a rider and passenger so it's generally crap on the track.  Springs and a simple sag setup will be night and day over stock.
I hear ya, suspension has been replaced by Race tech springs, Gold valves and an Ohlins in the Rear. OEM was so terrible I couldn't stand it even for street riding.
Cheers

pdoughduc

Quote from: Newracer46 on November 20, 2015, 10:56:18 AM
I hear ya, suspension has been replaced by Race tech springs, Gold valves and an Ohlins in the Rear. OEM was so terrible I couldn't stand it even for street riding.
Cheers

Ahh...  Is your rear shock height adjustable?  Jacking up the back end if it is adjustable will help.  I run the standard (91-98) 900SS solo seat fairing with 5" of foam for a seat and it's still too low in the rear for me!  You can also sink the forks in the triples quite a bit.  I've seen them as low as 35mm over the top of the top triple so that along with clip ons should help to get the balance more forward too. 
Mid-Atlantic/Atlantic
AM #82
Ducati 900SS

JKBRacing

Quote from: pdoughduc on November 20, 2015, 02:07:18 PM
Ahh...  Is your rear shock height adjustable?  Jacking up the back end if it is adjustable will help.  I run the standard (91-98) 900SS solo seat fairing with 5" of foam for a seat and it's still too low in the rear for me!  You can also sink the forks in the triples quite a bit.  I've seen them as low as 35mm over the top of the top triple so that along with clip ons should help to get the balance more forward too.
The rear ride height is adjustable and I have it lifted it as far as I can considering the length of the eyebolts. I am also only about 10 mm deeper into the triple clamps. Thanks for the insight

ducatista01

As far as racing an older gen monster it can be done...  Anything can be raced.  I could be wrong but I would say an SV is a much better platform chassis wise.  I have never personally raced an SV though.  You are spot on about the Monster rear weight bias.  I own a S4rs with full Ohlins set up by a race tuner for me and had an S2r 1000.  I have spent countless hours and tons of money trying to get my monsters to handle like my superbikes (748, 848).

The problem is if you raise the rear and lower the front enough to get more weight on the nose then you loose all the trail and the bike is unstable and nervous.  I was planing to put my RS on a Scheibner chassis machine and try to figure out if adjustable triple clamps or something like that would get the geometry more inline with a true race bike.  I got busy last year and never did it since its just my street bike. 

oldnslow181

If you change your mind we have my son's 1st Gen for sale.  Set up and ready to race with all the usual race stuff and a stock motor.  We have some spares (pegs, levers, gearing....).  Would also be willing to throw in a spare tank (dented but still holds fuel) and a few sets of take-offs for $2500.  Pm me if your interested.

thanks,
Mike

JKBRacing

I had a feeling that I was fighting a loosing battle to get my monster to perform as good as other sportbikes out there simply due to the chassis design. I really think the SV650 is the perfect platform for me horsepower wise and its handling potential. I was originaly thinking that I would possibly pick something up in the spring after healing from Christmas, We'll see. If not I can ride my Monster one season. At first I was worried about purchasing a bike that would end up limiting the classes I could race in. It looks like the formula 40 is pretty much race what you bring as long as it fits the weight class and sounds like fun. Thanks to all for the thoughfull input.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Well with a LW supersport legal SV, you can run LWSS, LWSB, LWGP, LWF40 (if you are over 40), GTL, ULWSB, Thunderbike, Supertwins (granted you'd be racing against 1000+cc twins in SuperTwins). If you don't get a supersport legal SV, then you just lose the ability to run LWSS. 
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod