News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

BHF Report

Started by tshort, May 12, 2003, 09:03:10 AM

tshort

Well, another WWF - er, BHF - weekend comes to a close.  The little pile of wood somehow doesn't dampen the irritation I feel at myself for having dumped myself big time in the closing laps of the last race of the weekend - nice-sized high-side in the rain on the exit of T1.  I was running full rains, had led the whole race, and just got greedy on my exit.  Rear end didn't step out - it came around what felt like 90 degrees.  When it all hooked up I was airborn looking down on my bike wondering what would happen next (this was a novel experience for me).

The thud on impact was surprising.  I landed flat on my back, I mean flat with my head and back hitting together. It was amazingly hard in terms of my head hitting pavement, yet surprisingly non-damaging in terms of my back and head not being destroyed.

I made the mistake of trying to get up before I'd stopped moving, and then went head over heels.  Note to self - "wait a bit after initial impact before trying to get up and get back in race."  Bike was not going to run anyway - broken clutch lever, pretzeled shift lever, and slider.  Haven' yet looked to see full damage, hope there isn't a lot more.

Then there was the collision in T6 in the Supertwins race between me and another guy who thought that simply by taking the inside line and pushing he could somehow force me to give him some room.  I went off the track briefly but managed to get it back on, and went on to win.  Afterward, in the paddock, there was a bit of an exchange that got a little heated.  So between the crash, and the paddock garbage, the sweetness of the victory is today a bit dampened.  On the other hand, I did win, and that in spite of some seriously dirty riding (IMHO).

Also won LW Superbike, and took 2nd in GT Lights, and Thunderbike, so it was a good weekend that way.

Thanks to Pierre and his team, team Stumpy, and John (of Kim and John) for helping out with wrenching/prepping throughout the weekend, and for Kim, and wife Flip, and everyone else, showing awesome support for me.  It's going to be a fun season - can't wait to get together again.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

tigerblade

Congrats on the good finishes.   :)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Pierre - Team PMR

Tom,

Glad I got to meet you.  You did really well.  I didnt realize you had a tumble in T1 on that last race, but am glad your ok.  Thanks again for letting me use your generator.  
Pierre Montsion
Team PMR
CCS EX# 280

StumpysWife

Tom, You rock!!!!!  

Both on and off the track, ride your own race.  Then it's up to you how it ends up.  

I'm very sorry to hear about your wreck.  It's no fun to drive home with broke stuff.  

spyderchick

Tom, how come you didn't say "hi"?  :( Anyhow, congrats on the wood, condolences on the crash. Hope to see you next time out there!  :D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

tshort

QuoteTom, how come you didn't say "hi"?  :( Anyhow, congrats on the wood, condolences on the crash. Hope to see you next time out there!  :D

All - thank you for your posts - I'm fine.  My knee hurts a bit, but other than that all in one piece, which I feel is very fortunate - coulda been ugly.

Hi Alexa - I know, we kept missing each other.  :-/   I did find your lovely daughter, tho, and introduced myself.  All these new faces/names/people - we'll catch up at the next one, I'm sure.  Are you going to MAM?  We don't know if we are or not - right now probably not, but we shall see.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

tshort

Oh - and how could I forget to thank our resident wine taster, Sooper Dave? ::)  Thanks, Dave, for the suspension consulting!  You are teaching me to listen to my bike (which I found out has been saying for about a month, "Can you hear me now?" :D).
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

dave333

QuoteThen there was the collision in T6 in the Supertwins race between me and another guy who thought that simply by taking the inside line and pushing he could somehow force me to give him some room.  I went off the track briefly but managed to get it back on, and went on to win.  Afterward, in the paddock, there was a bit of an exchange that got a little heated.

Isn't T6 a little quick for bumper bikes?  I haven't quite got the nerve up to close the door on someone like that, but I've decided I will if I'm racing and won't if I'm in a practice session or track day.  Who started the "heated exchange"?  Just curious, my money is that he thought he had the right of way and you ran him off the track and almost killed him...  I could be wrong.  ::)

tshort

QuoteIsn't T6 a bit quick for bumper bikes?  I haven't quite got the nerve up to close the door on someone like that, but I've decided I will if I'm racing and won't if I'm in a practice session or track day.  Who started the "heated exchange"?  Just curious, my money is that he thought he had the right of way and you ran him off the track and almost killed him...  I could be wrong.  ::)

Is T6 (actually, it was T5, I think - the one that if you miss it, you end up running into the airstrip, out toward the exit) a bit quick for bumper bikes?  Yeah, I kinda thought so, too.  I almost killed him? :o   Funny how my tail section is all scratched up...and I never saw him or his front wheel - I thought the person in front pretty much has the right of way.  Or?  I was riding my line and the next thing I know I'm first swapping paint with him, and then I actually felt his leathers rubbing my shoulder. He pushed me off the track, and I was the one who almost crashed.  Never did see what was happening with him.  The guy is quite aggressive, and was called on it afterwards by the ref.  

Anyway, it was pretty nerve wracking.  The heated exchange was in the paddock afterwards - his buddies had to restrain him physically as he started to come at me.   ::)  Aye yai yai - some people's kids...I tell ya. :-/ ;D
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

dave333

It sounded like he was the one who went off the track.  Sorry, I still need to learn to read.  Glad you are ok, but next time tell his buddies to back off and greet him with a 1/2" breaker bar upside the head...  

I still don't understand how some folks don't understand racing is racing.  You will make contact, you will fall down, other people will help you fall down, and you can get hurt reeeeeeal good.  That's the sport we sign up for when we get on the grid and nail the throttle with the first twitch of the flag man's arm...

Dawn

QuoteIt sounded like he was the one who went off the track.  Sorry, I still need to learn to read.  Glad you are ok, but next time tell his buddies to back off and greet him with a 1/2" breaker bar upside the head...  

Nah...

We have Phil as the Referee, he is a good guy and very good negotiator.  You either race by the rules or you don't race.

Dawn   ;D

Nate R

I had a front row seat to the incident....Yeah, it was just after turn 6, right by the gate. From what I saw, Tom was holding his line, and 271 just slammed into him from the inside, and after some more contact, pushing them both off of the track. From what I saw, Tom was DEFINITELY out front by a good amount.

Tom, I'm pretty sure you both went off the track, although you had a much tougher time getting on and once you got back on.  I understand that in racing there often is contact, but when it throws both people off of the track like that, it's beyond just racing. It was ridiculous. I've seen contact in racing, and this was downright mean, maybe even Evil.

Earlier in the day, 271 came around me in a race as he lapped me coming out of 5. He pulled in front of me unneccessarily close to my front tire. I was annoyed by it, and thought it was an agressive pass to put on a LAPPER.  From what I've seen from pitting right near him, he seems to be pretty arrogant, and acted like he had all the answers. (Yet I was the one with safety wire, legal coolant, and tools that he borrowed on the first weekend in April)

Point is, I think the race director did the right thing overall by putting him on notice, and it SEEMS like he settled down some near the end of the day. It's just a race for FUN....At least that's what it's SUPPOSED to be. Hopefully this guy will clean up his act on the track.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

dave333

QuoteNah...

We have Phil as the Referee, he is a good guy and very good negotiator.  You either race by the rules or you don't race.

Dawn   ;D

Threats of physical harm don't fly in my book.  His buddies "having to hold him back" is ridiculous.  That type of hot headed intimidation needs to be shown the gate.  This is club racing, we do it for fun as a hobby.  AFAIC, someone that far off center is not good to be out on the track with.  What happens when they go to "get even"?

tshort

QuoteThreats of physical harm don't fly in my book.  His buddies "having to hold him back" is ridiculous.  That type of hot headed intimidation needs to be shown the gate.  This is club racing, we do it for fun as a hobby.  AFAIC, someone that far off center is not good to be out on the track with.  What happens when they go to "get even"?
My thoughts exactly. I made those very points to Phil, the CCS Ref, and he said he put the guy on notice, that he would be "watching" him, and there were going to be no further warnings.  As far as physical assaults, Phil said if anyone does that, they will be arrested.  Crazy, man.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

stumpy

Holy High side! Glad your O.K. Keep your chin up and put that negative stuff out the door. Your a very positive person and had a great time! (naming the turns ;)) I'm sorry, you probably don't like the rain much...As for me I've been doin the rain dance since the long drive home 8) I'm buying more rains and  runnin em' no matter what!  ;D  or I'll just hose down the track. My only injury was a scratch on my side from sleeping with all the big wood last night ::)
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

Super_KC124

Hey Stump, what about the mud trail in MWGP? ;D

stumpy

Hey dude, whaddya mean?  My lowside in MWGP in the carousel or my dirtrackin' before 7 during Friday's practice?????  (I wasn't wearin' my rains then :()
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteThreats of physical harm don't fly in my book.  His buddies "having to hold him back" is ridiculous.  That type of hot headed intimidation needs to be shown the gate.  This is club racing, we do it for fun as a hobby.  AFAIC, someone that far off center is not good to be out on the track with.  What happens when they go to "get even"?

This behaviour shouldnt be tolerated in any sport, amateur or professional. I saw the paddock incedent and it appeared to me Tom showed great restraint. Sadly since I started racing here in 1999, this kind of BS has been happening more and more. It really needs to stop before someone does something and someone gets seriously hurt (most likely someone who wasnt even involved too).
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

HandleThis66

hey, just wanted to say hi to tom and i hope yor feelin okay!  i sawr it happen in t-1, nasty nasty.  and as for jeremy bentz (271)....yah, he's definately that c word.  he rubbed it in pretty bad when he beat me at gingerman his first race weekend.  he is VERY aggresive, but can be a bit of a nice guy at times. :-/ though i do have to say the attitude he displayed this weekend was extrremely uncalled for.  i think he still hasn't realized we aren't running pro-style, and we need to be @ work in tha mornin!!  he'll learn soon enough ::)  cheers tom..nice to meetch and yor wife!  and it was great to be there to see all yah silly racers i missed...ciao - rhiannon :-*

Super Dave

QuoteOh - and how could I forget to thank our resident wine taster, Sooper Dave? ::)  Thanks, Dave, for the suspension consulting!  You are teaching me to listen to my bike (which I found out has been saying for about a month, "Can you hear me now?" :D).

LOL!  Can you hear me now!

You did a nice job, Tom.  Still work that can be done to be more consistent, but you were easy to work with.

As for the fun and games...  I'm with you.  Seems to be some kind of pattern on the other side.  As for him running "Pro Style"...sure running at the Pro level there is a bit of contact, but you're going very, very fast and we all understand the game.  I don't play like that at the club level as it is unecessary.  Doing so is just poor...
Super Dave

OmniGLH

Congrats on the win, Tom, and stinks about the highside!  You're fairly new to this, aren't you?  That kicks ass.  

I've known Bentz a few years now, he was even my roommate for a while.  Sounds like he hasn't changed one bit.  Agressive, arrogant, hot-headed... yep, that's him.  I quit hanging around with him for those reasons.  But he IS a decent rider, so I would definitely feel good about beating him, fair and square.  Next time, just bump him back  ;)  My thoughts are, "club level" or not, racing is racing, and if you can't handle a little rub here and there, then go join NESBA  ;)  Wait till you get to expert, where rubbing is pretty much a guarantee - just ask DanO  ;)
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Nate R

Once again, I've seen a lot of bumping from watching racing the past 3 years, this was MORE than rubbing. a LOT more. Hell, a bit of rubbing would be fun! But, slamming into the other guy is a different story.....Remember, this knocked Tom AND (from what I saw) Jeremy off of the track. He hit Tom hard enough to put him off track, and Bentz went off, too. Last time I checked, that's more than rubbing.  It was and out of line move. Maybe it was meant to be a small bump, and a gust of wind hit, or he overdid it, but still, it was not the right time/place for such a move, I think.  I mean, there were a few laps left, and they were racing close. He had time yet. Either way, I've heard several times that bumping/rubbing is relatively normal in Ex, and sometimes in Am, and I understand that. But the way Jeremy hit Tom, it was just out of line.

If Jeremy was that upset about it, he obviously thought it was more than rubbing, too.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

tshort

Hey Jim - thanks for the encouragement and the info.  Roommate from where/when??

Re bumping/rubbing, I don't mind a little rubbing either, but, like Nate said, this was not a rub, this was a full on body check.  Last I checked we weren't here to do NASCAR, or even WSB/MotoGP-level racing - it's club racing, it's supposed to be fun, and that's how I'd like to keep it.  

Anyway, thanks for the info - see you at a future race.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

DanO966

Nice work Tom.  Crashing sucks anyway you look at it.  But it's all good man.   Get back out there and do it again.. ;D
Ya Fatkid gets a little out of hand sometimes.  Like Jim (omni) said just hit him back harder next time...lol
He rides pretty good...so nice work in beating him.  Just don't let him get into your head.....play YOUR game not his...my .02 cents..
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6