News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Radiator Fluid/ Motor Oil

Started by Forum156, March 06, 2015, 09:33:56 AM

Forum156

What is everyone using for radiator fluid for race day? (Water Wetter, Engine Ice, Etc.)
Also what are you using for motor oil? Brand and weight?
Ready Go! :thumb:

MELK-MAN

are you serious?? or just trolling.. ? combining a "what coolant" AND "what oil" ? may as well just add "what tire" and "what do you use on your chain" ...
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

MELK-MAN

but i'll bite.

Engine Ice
Silkolene Pro4

used this combo to much success since 2003 when i started roadracing.

Sean_Jordan

I just asked these same two questions on the WERA BBS.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=321105

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=321134

(Technically I asked how often people are changing oil, but as with any oil discussion people inject their $.02)

I ended up going with Rotella T6 synthetic for my SV. I've always used Mobile 1 4T synthetic for my streetbikes, though.  I'll use water wetter since WERA doesn't allow any glycol based coolants.

Forum156

are you serious?? or just trolling.. ? combining a "what coolant" AND "what oil" ? may as well just add "what tire" and "what do you use on your chain" ... Don't need to be a jag about it. Was mere trying to get peoples opinions on brands and recommendations. What's worked well what hasn't, brands preferred etc.  :lmao:  But thanks for commenting.  :thumb: 

Forum156

Capitalview

Quote from: Forum156 on March 06, 2015, 03:04:21 PM
are you serious?? or just trolling.. ? combining a "what coolant" AND "what oil" ? may as well just add "what tire" and "what do you use on your chain" ... Don't need to be a jag about it. Was mere trying to get peoples opinions on brands and recommendations. What's worked well what hasn't, brands preferred etc.  :lmao:  But thanks for commenting.  :thumb: 

HAHA!  He was joking!  Any question about oil is pretty much a "loaded" question because there are so many different opinions with, usually, not much facts to back them up.

Then combining oil and water is just funny too.  You know, they don't mix!  :)

Capitalview

T6 is full synthetic.  T5 is semi synthetic.  Even that can be a loaded answer though since some "full" synthetic oils are still made with dino oil.  I wish I could remember where I did a crap load of reading on this but the site eludes me.  I think this may have been it.   http://www.oilspecifications.org/jaso.php

I had been running T6 but will be switching to a real motorcycle oil to help with the wet clutch in my SV.  There are different additive packages for motorcycle oil vs car/diesel oil. 

Of course, if you change oil enough it probably won't be a problem.  Probably wouldn't be a problem if you don't too.  I just prefer to waist my money on expensive oil.

Sean_Jordan

Quote from: Capitalview on March 06, 2015, 04:17:44 PMI had been running T6 but will be switching to a real motorcycle oil to help with the wet clutch in my SV.  There are different additive packages for motorcycle oil vs car/diesel oil.

Rotella T6 lacks the friction modifiers that cause problems for motorcycle wet clutches.

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Sean_Jordan on March 06, 2015, 06:18:02 PM
Rotella T6 lacks the friction modifiers that cause problems for motorcycle wet clutches.

rotella t6 works awesome in motorcycles. Dirt bikes come to mind. Go on any dirt bike discussion forum, and you will likely find 50% of the posters using rotella. the others swear you can't do that, and are using something else.

Forum156

See learning something everyday. Didn't know it would get arise out of anyone lol  :biggrin:

britx303

My FZR clutch "judders" at race starts with T6. I went back to amsoil 10w40 conventional and the issue went away after a couple of oil changes