Expert or amateur?

Started by bill999s, February 18, 2015, 12:00:47 PM

bill999s

All knowing forum members. In 2010, after winning the F40 southeast regional championship, seconds and thirds in four other classes, I was promoted to expert. In 2011 and 12, I was only able to make one weekend each year (I was spending all my free time with my son racing in the dirt). I made no weekends in 2013. In 2014, I finally was making some track days at Summit and VIR and had a blast. I know I wasn't back to my race day speeds and times but felt great and had a blast. So I'm supposed to go to Daytona in March. The question I have is that I know I have to petition to go back to amateur should I decide to. I'm just curious what you guys would do? Stay expert or go amateur? Thanks in advance.

clarustnb

It depends why you're coming back.

If you want a trophy - sandbagging it for a year is a cheap way to get some tire money and a few plaques.

However, I'd rather go 3 wide into T1 with white plates on either side of me than have any yellow plate on my rear tire. [no offense guys]
Benjamin Loyle
SV650 # 909
http://loyle.lwtracer.com/

ahastings

Id say it depends on what you are riding. a 1000 a 600 a lightweight. what kind of laptimes did you get down to at summit and vir in 2014 doing trackdays
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

bill999s

Not worried about getting a trophy. Just want to have some fun and compete. Although I have to admit that getting passed by a fast amateur isn't something I look forward to. Not sure on my lap times Arnie. I'll be running the same Ducati 999s I ran in the good ole days nut she's been freshened up nicely. I'll also be racing an uncompetitive SV650 in the lightweight races. I did poorly at Summit on Memorial weekend in 2013. On that weekend, it had been over a year since I had been at the track and I had very little practice.

notbostrom

Am vs expert has more to do with being safer, predictable and experienced.. Other than being slower you still know what you are doing and frankly I think it's safer running with the guys who also aren't prone to go full retard and stand a bike up in front of you mid corner..  That being said if you race LW before and are jumping into the deep end on a 1000 I could see an argument for either way. I was gone for 6 yrs and came back as an EX .. finished dead last for a few rounds then got back up to speed.   

Just my $0.02
Ben "Notbostom"