News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Bike suggestions...

Started by MightyDuc Racing, May 09, 2003, 12:32:11 PM

MightyDuc Racing

Okay...I am planning on buying another bike to go with my Ducati towards the end of next season, maybe even in the middle of next season, depending on money.  I'm assuming I'll be made an expert next year, so I'll be racing for better contingency money and purses, etc.  Should I buy a 600 or a 750 or a 1000, and which brand pays the best if Hell freezes over and I run up front?  I'm starting the research early so I can watch for deals and then jump on the right one.  Also, I know a bike can only be a certain model year or newer to collect manufacturer contingency.  Any info is greatly appreciated.  And please, try to make these somewhat unbiased opinions based on what pays the best and is the easiest to ride near the front.  Brad-no R1...sorry...lol.  Unless Yamaha comes up big with their contingency.:D   TIA  :)
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

harb990

You are going to open up a can of worms with this question.  

I have heard that next year's gsxr 600 will be something special - no hard info, just rumors that I have heard - Suzuki seems to always pay pretty good contingency and now Honda has jumped in, but I don't know any specifics, Feff4ry probably knows all about it though.  I think for Suzuki money, you need to have 2001 or newer, but I could be wrong, and that will most likely change next year.  I think you can check it out on the suzuki website ( it seems that I remember something about less than 2 years old)

If you want to race til you have no more $$$ get a 600.  As many races in a weekend as you can afford.  Providing they don't change the classes next year, on a 4-cyl 1000 (gsxr 1000, cbr 954) 3 races per weekend, on a gsxr 750 - 5 races per weekend.  I figure 5 is plenty for me and pushing my budget anyway, so I have stuck with a 750 vs. a 600.  I still race against the 600's in most of my races and I think alot of the time its going to come down to the rider unless you are on a large track (Road America) where the larger horsepower might become a factor, but I still think it is going to come down to rider skill in club racing most of the time and not necessarily HP.

Just my $0.02.

Harb

MightyDuc Racing

Thanks Harb...keep the opinions coming! :)
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Jeff

Yam only pays back to 3rd
Apr pays to 5th
Hon pays back to 5th
Suz & kwak pay to 10th

http://www.formulausa.com/contingency/FUSARR%20claim%20form.PDF

Aprilia pays on 22 event days
Hon pays 15 days
Kwak 20 days
Suz 19 days
Yam 15 days

But then again, the payouts are different and the events where payout is available differ as well...

In the end, buy whatever YOU are most comfortable on.  That way, you stand a chance at getting contingency, period...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

james-redsv

You would be crazy to race a 600, it just too many fast people in those classes, you wouldnt have a chance.  :'( There were over 40+ in the 600 classes at the last race I was at, two wave start, and almost all were super fast. The 600 classes are like the 250 class in motorcross, packed to the gills with talented riders. I dont know, its a tough call if you are going to keep the duc in the LWT class and want something else to race as well.  Are you sure you will get promoted to expert, you might be counting your chickens before they hatch, you can file to stay AM for another year if you just barely have the points. You will get way more Contingency if you are a fast AM than you would if you are a slow Expert, which you will be the first year or two. Most want to stay AM almost too long for all the money they can collect.  :o Im hoping to stay just under the 500 points needed to stay AM one more year. Back to another bike, I like the GSXR 1000, you just have to learn mucho throttle control on that one though. Just my 2cents ;D

Steviebee

well, i got a 750 so im partial to them.  I can race 5 classes in CCS (this year).

But think about this,  I think i heard that AMA superstock will include the gsxr 1000 next year.  Can anyone confirm this ??

In that case, would CCS/WERA follow suit and open up the ever popular liter bikes to more classes ??

I've always been a Yam or Suz fan (i've only ever owned a fzr and gsxr), but that new 636 is legal for all the middleweight classes in CCS/WERA.  Radial brakes too.  Once some more aftermarket parts come out for it, might be something to think about.  Or you could wait to see what Suz is doing with the 600.

Anyway, ponder this.  I've got a "bone stock" 750 (no race fuel, no Power Commander) and some 600's have enough power that i cant pass on some straights at these "short" 2mile courses.

MightyDuc Racing

I'm actually really good with throttle control, I always have been for some reason.  As far as the status goes, I almost have 500 points already, from two race weekends.  Also, Henry knows I am turning times close to or the same as the fast experts.  Unfortunately for me, so are three other amateurs this year...lol.  One reason I want to turn Expert is that I am looking to run some AMA events before I get too old.  I know you need at least one year as an expert before that can happen.  Could be a pipe dream, but I always chase my goals as hard as possible.  I know I have a ton to learn, but I also know I can be a fast rider some day.  Also, I know it is safer in the expert classes, as the fast guys are more predictable.  Next year is still a long ways off, so I'm not sure about any of it yet.  Just starting to do some research ahead of time, that's all.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

sdiver68

First of all, you don't need 1 year of Expert to ride AMA...only 100 Expert points on the AMA scale, you can look up the scale at the AMA Pro Rider website.

Second, trust me when I say almost the the entire Expert class is made up of ex-fast Amateurs.  1 mistake can have you out of running with the top pack and in 15th faster than you can say, oh damn!  Multiply this by 2 if you are running a 600, and by 10 if you are running a 600 versus big bikes on a HP track!  1 weakness in your game can cost you 5 places....mine is starts :(  Passing is so much harder, no longer are you passing people you are 5 seconds faster than, try passing guys who are just as fast as you excpet 1 or 2 places...good for a seconds each, maybe, but they take the racing line and block you in those areas.  Safer in expert? LOL...not true.

Am I saying expert is impossible?  No...its just not quite as small a jump as lap times and watching make it appear.

So, what bike you ask?  I'm considering a SV650 next year....less expense and smaller fields, and less Schwantz wannabes.  If you really feel you are ready for AMA, though, you will need at least a I-4 600/636  ;D
MCRA Race School Instructor

MightyDuc Racing

I'm hoping to be ready for the AMA in two to four years.  I am by no means even close to being remotely ready for it now...lol.  I do, however, want to take the quickest path possible to get there.  If that means running the toughest classes, so be it.  I think the remainder of this year will be a really great learning experience, as I saw no races other than ours have a four way battle for the lead.  I think we are gonna do that the rest of the year too!  It's gonna be a blast!!!  Whether I'll ever be competitive in an AMA race in my lifetime is most likely not gonna happen. However...I will race in the AMA some day, and I'll do what it takes to get there.  Now if I could just convince myself to start working out...lol. ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

MightyDuc Racing

By the way...I learned a TON this weekend.  Most importantly, patience.  I wanna thank Mike Mills, Steve Servis, and Matt ? (sorry) for the fun and close racing up front, and John Linder for the tips and for showing me the fast way around in practice.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

motard11

Mr. Duc. I think you might consider going to another bike sooner. Im sure your love for your Duc. is strong, but I am thinking of the bang-factor :-/ Please dont get me wrong sure Ducs are all that ::) Its just with all the learning ahead of you, your bike and motor shouldnt be a concern so much.Ya know what im sayin. It seems in my humble opnion,that you asked for,that a jap machine might serve you easyer at this point. My experience is that it truly sucks to spend my hard earned money on repairs cuz I have to be diffrent. Ya see I to am makeing the switch to something easyer and I have no problem telling you that. Good luck Motard11 ;)

MightyDuc Racing

Actually, the problems I've had have been a monsterous learning experience.  I've learned more about motors and maintenance and repairs already than I thought I would in a couple years. :)
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors: