Another Helmet Rule Question

Started by cbirk, October 10, 2014, 01:04:23 PM

cbirk

Howdy boys and girls. After being off sportbikes for 5 years I've decided to start racing again in 2015.  That said it appears my helmet is in need of updating. The current rule states snell2005 with proof of manufacturer date in the last 5 years or snell 2010.  Since snell 2015 is now the new standard, will the 2015 helmet rule say snell2010 with manufacturer date in last 5 years or Snell2015. I can get a really good deal on a new leftover Shoei with a 5/10 manufacture snell2010 rating but would hate to only be able to use it for one season. Any thoughts on this?

ahastings

that helmet will be over 5 yrs old in June 2015 so it will then not pass tech. Look at Scorpion helmets they are quality helmets at reasonable prices that you can get a current model probably almost as cheap as a 5 yr old Shoei
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

cbirk

Thanks for the reply Arnie.  I'll take a look and see if local dealers have them available. I was going to get an upper model HJC due to the price but when I tried it on I felt like I was in a spaceship or staring down a tube. The visibility was awful. So far only Shoei and Arai have proven the forward visibility I'm looking for.

ahastings

I have been wearing Scorpions for a few years now and have hit my  head a few times in them. Their new race helmet is really nice the R2000
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

cbirk

Its settled. After read in up on the exo r2000 I will purchasing one.  Thanks again!

Cowboy 6

Quote from: ahastings on October 10, 2014, 03:01:10 PM
hit my head a few times

Ahhhh, everything makes a bit more sense now......   :)
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

gixxerzoli

You will be satisfied so much! Arnie gave you a great tip! SCORPION HELMETS and apparel are awesome!

nevenelestate

And when you buy one, look at the date of manufacture, they may have a few months difference, if not a year or more, so you want to get the newest one possible to last you longer.

I liked my Scorpion street helmet, but love the HJC RPHA10 and its not very expensive, crash tested one at NJMP and it worked so well I bought the same one as replacement.

LWT Racer

My Suomy I got in 2013 had manufacture date of 2014.....  I'll take a free year.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.