News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

2015 RULES

Started by MACOP1104, September 30, 2014, 07:57:32 AM

tony216

Quote from: Swiest on October 06, 2014, 06:45:09 PM
Tony, you should be mad your Buells are being left out of all this controversy.  :biggrin:

Or do they take themselves out.  :lmao:    :cheers:

Kevin didn't wanna hear my unlimited displacement air-cooled OHV argument a couple of years ago. :)

MACOP1104

I heard there are 3 R6s being made into 565s.  Can't wait to see them ripping along at 16000rpm.

Gino230

Quote from: tony216 on October 06, 2014, 06:25:33 PM
I don't have an SV. Just stating my opinion.

Sorry if that came off a little "Cheeky".....Sometimes I forget that the CCS forum is basically Me vs. Sam when it comes to LW. And of course it's all in good fun, let's face it, we all love our little bikes and want to make them as competitive as possible. I'm sure this kind of banter has been going on in every race org. since the beginning of racing.

Interestingly enough, the "interchangeable frame and engine" is what most hang their hat on. The 1100 Duc motor will bolt straight in to the 848 frame. Even wiring harness doesn't need to be modified. This was the basis for the RRW article from a few years back about an 848 with 800CC Duc motor that was racing in WERA SB. I agree we don't need to rehash the whole thing here.

Also RE the Buell, what does the bike need displacement wise to be competitive? I am honestly asking because I'm curious....I remember the good old days of thunderbike they were getting 110 HP, but at that time the best the Duc could do was about 95 out of a highly built 750.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

LWT Racer

You should see the guys in CVMA argue against a 748 that has 749r crank so its a 650.  Even tho it makes same HP as SV's out there, both 90-95hp.  I think they allow 677 liquid cooled and 1000 air cooled. 
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

Gino230

I seem to remember that being a hot setup for wera as well some years back. That was before you could get big power (and big displacement) from the air cooled motors. At the end of the day, to try any of these "experiments", you have to really like the bike. Heck, we have a guy racing with us in FL that sawed a 1098 engine in half so he could run singles!
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

LWT Racer

1100 air cooled is way to go if you want to ride a Twin. 565 is even more lethal.

You also have to have a pretty good budget to build these bikes. 
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer

Capitalview

I find it interesting that you don't hear this type of discussion about the MW and Unlimited classes.  Is it that the people racing in LW are more vocal or is there really a problem with imbalance in the available options?

Just my opinion, but I feel it is because there hasn't been an affordable, easily available, LW bike produced by manufactures.  It will be interesting to see what happens with the FZ-07.  Although I don't really see it being any better than the SV with the specs listed on it.  Especially since the SV has a decade of development behind it.

So we will be stuck with the Ducati 1000s and 1100s until someone else comes out with something that can compete with them

On a different note, I had suggested getting rid of the HW class (750s).  Why not replace it with a complete ULW class?  The 250/300 class is getting big and manufacturers are coming out with even more options.  They deserve a SS, SB, and GP class

LWT Racer

what is to argue about in Middleweight and Unlimited?  They are all 600's and 1000's in respective classes.

FZ isn't any better then SV stock, there is one racing out in cali.  Even vs stock SV.  The main test is when someone builds a SBK and see if the crank can handle 90-100hp. If it can, then you will see SV die off and see the Kawi completely disappear. 

I don't think the 250/300 class should be gp or SBK.  That class needs to remain fun and cheap, once you make it SBK then POOF.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer

apriliaman

Did you know in middleweight you can ride a 1000CC triple?? So if you wanted to you can ride the MV Agusta F3 800.Maybe you can also use a 1st Gen Suzuki Hayabusa engine and turn 1 cylinder off and it will be under 1000CC then put it in a custom GP frame!! Will the 600 class riders complain now if someone did it and won alot of races.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

Gino230

Quote from: Capitalview on October 07, 2014, 03:06:43 PM
I find it interesting that you don't hear this type of discussion about the MW and Unlimited classes.  Is it that the people racing in LW are more vocal or is there really a problem with imbalance in the available options?

^^^^^
Here's your answer.

I'm parking the LW bike for a while, just because after 15 years I need something different....a new challenge, and I think the MW class will provide that. So far it has proved to be true and I hope if I return to the LW class, I will come back with some new skills. We'll see....
CCS / ASRA EX # 23

Cowboy 6

This just in: CCS to place the new Kawasaki H2 in Lightweight Supersport. No complaining allowed. If your bike isn't fast enough, buy a new one.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

MACOP1104

Quote from: Gino230 on October 07, 2014, 11:48:33 AM
Sorry if that came off a little "Cheeky".....Sometimes I forget that the CCS forum is basically Me vs. Sam when it comes to LW. And of course it's all in good fun, let's face it, we all love our little bikes and want to make them as competitive as possible. I'm sure this kind of banter has been going on in every race org. since the beginning of racing.

Interestingly enough, the "interchangeable frame and engine" is what most hang their hat on. The 1100 Duc motor will bolt straight in to the 848 frame. Even wiring harness doesn't need to be modified. This was the basis for the RRW article from a few years back about an 848 with 800CC Duc motor that was racing in WERA SB. I agree we don't need to rehash the whole thing here.

Also RE the Buell, what does the bike need displacement wise to be competitive? I am honestly asking because I'm curious....I remember the good old days of thunderbike they were getting 110 HP, but at that time the best the Duc could do was about 95 out of a highly built 750.

That 800/848 Ducati in RRW was raced in CMRA.  It did show up two WERA weekenda at  Barber.  It raced in LW Solo (GTL) and Formula 2.   It was NOT LW superbike legal in WERA.  It may have entered LWSB and not been protested but it does not meet the requirements of original frame and motor.   Several years ago there was the 687 Duc based on a 749.  Legal for Formula 2 only.