News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

I'm new to this?

Started by KTM114, August 29, 2014, 12:22:12 AM

KTM114

I'm looking for some help. i've seen posts from people that are new to the new series and stuff, but none from people that are starting from scratch. I'm 16 i'm an A-class harescramble racer i've been riding dirtbikes since i was 3 and i'm looking to dabble in the street bike scene. I think ive got an idea on what bike i want but open for anything really. I just would like an idea on what to do first and how to go about it. Mostly like what classes i need to take, bike prep, and what to look forward to as a new comer. thank for your help.

LWT Racer

What bike do you have?

If non, get a SV650.  Do a trackday, then take race school to get licence.

Where are you located?
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

IFMracing

- Read the rulebook.
- Get bike you want.
- Prep according to rulebook.
- Do a trackday.
- Do an approved race license school.
- Race.
- Stare at empty wallet.
GP AM CCS #28 ASRA #128
I.F.M. Racing

nevenelestate

Quote from: IFMracing on August 29, 2014, 11:13:45 AM
- Apply for multiple credit cards
- Read the rulebook.
- Get bike you want.
- Prep according to rulebook.
- Do a trackday.
- Do an approved race license school.
- Race.
- Stare at empty wallet.

Fixed

But I agree with the above two, especially Swiest's suggestion to start on an SV650, or even a ninja 250, those bikes are great to learn on, smaller grids so a little less hectic at times, and with the SV when you get good with it you could be able to out race guys on 600cc bikes.

KTM114

Thanks you. I'd like a cbr300 because its cheaper than most and has more power and tourqe than 250. I'm from VA. I read that whole damn rule book last night at 1 o'clock so thats checked off.

KTM114

Quote from: nevenelestate on August 29, 2014, 11:40:23 AM

Fixed

But I agree with the above two, especially Swiest's suggestion to start on an SV650, or even a ninja 250, those bikes are great to learn on, smaller grids so a little less hectic at times, and with the SV when you get good with it you could be able to out race guys on 600cc bikes.
I'm a Honda and Ktm kind of guy and I love fuel injection so I've got my stuff narrowed. The reason i want a 300 is because its got more power than the 250 but also its like $100-$200 more so its kind of a no brainer for me but i don't know so.

Gino230

If you've been racing dirt bikes bigger than xr100's, you'll be bored to tears racing the ninja 250's. I would suggest an sv or one of the air cooled Ducatis, 1000ss or 800ss, but these are getting harder to find.

The idea is to get on a bike you can grow on but won't cost you an arm and a leg.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

bruce71198

Quote from: Gino230 on September 05, 2014, 11:22:52 AM
you'll be bored to tears racing the ninja 250's. 

The idea is to get on a bike you can grow on but won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Surely this first part of this statement was from all the seat time you have on a Ninja250 Gino.
The last part couldn't be truer. $3000 for a race prepped Ninja250, 2-3 sets of inexpensive race rubber per season, 5 gallons of pump gas for a race weekend and learning to make a slow bike go fast over the course of several seasons. What a way to start a racing career then step up to the faster stuff.

Gino230

I won't argue with you on budget, those things are cheap to maintain in competitive form. But as far as growing, sorry, I stand by my statement.

Some great racing in that class but after one season, a younger rider looking to grow will be done with them. And I HAVE ridden them. They are waaaaay slower than a LW bike.

The OP said he's been riding dirt bikes doing hare scrambles- not a first time rider.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

bruce71198

I see your point Gino. But this kids 16 years old=no street bike experience, he might not even like racing an asphault machine. This kid fits the mold for the 250 class to a T (whatever that means, my dad always says that).

MAZZ77X

Quote from: bruce71198 on September 08, 2014, 02:16:21 PM
I see your point Gino. But this kids 16 years old=no street bike experience, he might not even like racing an asphault machine. This kid fits the mold for the 250 class to a T (whatever that means, my dad always says that).

Couldn't agree more! My son has been racing his 250 for 4 years now and it's still his favorite bike. Gets faster each season which shows he's still learning and still developing. Plus the 250 grids in the south are awesome..... Just stay away from the Honda, you'll be disappointed. Stick with whats been proven and have fun!

oldnslow181

I'll 2nd Mazz.  Same thing with my son...each time out his times improve which means he's still learning.  This bike will teach you a better racing line than anything else you can get on (cheaply). 

killbill

Are people racing in the 250 classes with 300s yet?  I am new to this and keep hearing about agreements not to race 300s against the 250s, this true?

bruce71198

Quote from: killbill on September 23, 2014, 02:01:21 AM
Are people racing in the 250 classes with 300s yet?  I am new to this and keep hearing about agreements not to race 300s against the 250s, this true?

thats the Florida Spec Class Racing group. Midwest is a free for all. They do run the 300 and 250 in the same class