News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

superbike/superstock question

Started by jimfowler, July 21, 2014, 09:06:08 PM

jimfowler

with wera i race a 98 cbr600 that is technically superbike spec due to the non-oem front brake calipers.  i'd like to come race with ccs but there's about a zero percent chance i can keep up in 600cc superbike class.  however, i would probably fall towards the back of the pack if i were to grid up with superstock.  how flexible is ccs in regards to this?  i know there's no class for my old piece of crap with ccs.  i've already called and spoken with them but failed to ask this question. 

my reasoning is this: the grids for my class in wera are lousy (as in nobody shows up).  i don't give a hoot about points or championships.  i just wanna be on the track with folks who run similar times so i can race.  right now, this is the bike i'm on so i'm trying to make the best of it.

so...any advice is appreciated.  thanks in advance.

- jim

Capitalview

What calipers are you running?  Or do you mean rotors?  If it is rotors, as long as they are the same dimensions as the original OEM, they are legal in Supersport in CCS. 

I doubt anyone would protest you running towards the back of the pack.

jimfowler

rotors are oem.  calipers are oem brembo from a ducati of similar vintage.  oem calipers on the F3 are single-sided and you can't find a decent pad for 'em.  i'm fairly certain i pose no threat to anybody who's out for points/contingency/bragging rights.  and if i do, i'll gladly forfeit my finishing position.   

apriliaman

In supersport you do need DOT race tires.No one will notice your brake calipers.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

Woofentino Pugrossi

Pretty sure calipers also have to be original equip for supersport. Will anyone really notice? Probably not on a F3.

Not sure about other regions but in the midwest most bikes running middleweight superbike are supersport bikes otjer than they're using slicks in sb and switch back to dot for ss.

Dunno but you may be able to run thunderbike with it. I used to run my f2 in thunderbike. Email Kevin Elliott and ask. Worse he could say is no.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

stofficer2

I have the same issue with my 99 R6. It has R1 forks on the front and that's it. I am always last in the pack so seeing you possibly joining makes me excited. I might actually have some competition!
If all else fails, I just look at it as, I get more track time than the faster bikes.  :biggrin:

roadracer162

To the letter of the law or this case rules, it isn't legal for Supersport much like the vented disc fins.

It is legal in Superbike. And as stated most guys running Superbike are actually Supersport machines.

My suggestion is to run both regardless of your brake caliper. I guarantee your upgrade is not a performance advantage over a new bike. I cannot speak for any other region but my general impression is they(CCS) wants you there racing, even at the back of the pack. They will allow it, and if protested you would be disqualified. But that will still suit you because all you want to do is ride.

It is not legal in Thunderbike. The F2 was allowed even after the cut off year.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

britx303

Jim,push for thunderbike,as we are on a fairly equal level with the bikes most common in our region running in thunderbike. Talk to kevin Elliot and explain we typically run against the SV's in wera,being as they try to performance match for oddball bikes(ours).Get the approval,and i shall see you at summit??? Im running thunderbike,and if you decide on another class,i will go out even if we both are going to get slaughtered. I know WERA is great because its a no questions asked regarding our older bikes,but this place has been pretty cool too!!!Not that it matters once the visor goes down though. :thumb:

jimfowler

I called and spoke with CCS.  Thunderbike is a no-go, despite the hp similarity between my bike and those in thunderbike.  They informed me that they don't really do any performance indexing and that I'd be looking at middleweight superstock or superbike.  Not a problem.  I think the best course of action for me is to get a set of DOT's on my bike and just show up.  If they don't let me into superstock I'll just run superbike and see what happens.

Thanks for all the replies.  Here's to hoping I see you guys at NJMP and Summit this season.

- Jim

britx303

Well at this point of the year,you will save on the CCS license too :thumb:  Well my next weekend will be Summit August 20somethingish,and im going to have to flip a coin on September 6-7,Beaverrun or NJMP........if you make the switch maybe i will skip the haul to Beaver,MAYBE,but my FZR brethren are getting lonely :biggrin:  and the pit comraderie is always great at WERA.

ahastings

I wouldnt worry too much about being protested for calipers on a 15 year old bike in a modern bike class. You can also run the heavyweight classes whcih are basically just another 600 class as there are very few actual 750s out there and the grids are usually a little less crazy in those classes
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

Eric Kelcher

CCS policy if a known illegal bike is discovered before the race it will not be allowed to compete.
While it may make no difference on your bike; illegal is not a gray area for us and same penalty applies to a minor as a major rules infraction.

Sorry for the hard line response but we try to treat everyone with same rulebook with no special unwritten exemptions.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition