News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Should the GSXR565 (and similar bikes) be outlawed?

Started by MACOP1104, July 13, 2014, 09:41:58 AM

Jwhite316

The fact is that the 565 is legal per the CCS rulebook.   This isn't a matter of right or wrong, fair or unfair but rather this displays that there is a fundamental problem with the CCS rulebook.  Someone this past weekeend at BHF pointed out to me that the CCS rulebook focuses on what you can't do to your motorcycle rather than what you can do.  I've have heard WERA takes a different approach, by telling you what you can do to your motorcycle and what motorcycles can run what class.  Personally I wish CCS would take this approach.  I wish that the lightweight class were full of stock SV's.  However I don't know how many lightweight racers would agree with me.  Maybe guys choose CCS over WERA because they can run bigger and meaner machines in the lwt classes.  I don't think you can ban the 565 because it has an unfair advantage because you are now getting into an arguable argument.  I run an 80 hp sv; a 100hp sv, buell, ducati, I4 are all going to have an unfair advantage of me, no? You can't pick and choose which is fair and which isn't, the rules are the rules but I sure wish CCS would change the way they go about them.
Well how could there be two number 1's? It'd be number 11 then?

Gino230

I agree with you on most points. However when discussing rule book changes- be careful what you wish for. WERA grids are tiny, not saying that's the only reason, but the CCS formula is clearly working!
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

Jwhite316

Quote from: Gino230 on August 01, 2014, 01:38:34 PM
I agree with you on most points. However when discussing rule book changes- be careful what you wish for. WERA grids are tiny, not saying that's the only reason, but the CCS formula is clearly working!

Thats a very good point!
Well how could there be two number 1's? It'd be number 11 then?

DaddyJama

As an engineer I get a kick out of someone figuring out how to build a bad ass machine within the confines of the existing rules. That's one of the main reasons I like formula one.. They just have millions to figure out those tweaks:)

Without millions though it still happens., quickshifters, dyno tunes, thinner gaskets.. At one point they were the new thing someone figured out and everyone followed suit to keep up. Can't stop innovation.

LWT Racer

17 in Formula 2 today at VIR.  Not one ducati. :)

Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

Gino230

Quote from: Swiest on August 04, 2014, 12:19:01 AM
17 in Formula 2 today at VIR.  Not one ducati. :)

Don't misunderstand, I'm not one of those guys that gets a kick out of seeing someone else's (or some other organization's) failure. I've said many times, the more, the merrier! Our sport needs more participation, not less, and if that means people spending more money innovating and coming up with more bikes to race, so be it! I'm glad there was a big grid.

Personally if I were a WERA racer, I would probably not build a bike for one class. So I'm not surprised. Although I would still take a SuperStock Paul Smart 1100 over an SV but that's just me :)

Or maybe some of our gang should start showing up at WERA events.....
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

HerbigCBR

Quote from: Jwhite316 on August 01, 2014, 02:07:21 PM
Thats a very good point!

Well they  are not working for lightweight supersport here in the midwest!
Jared Herbig - CCS #323
Thanks to: Spears Racing - TSE

jfboothe

Quote from: HerbigCBR on August 05, 2014, 01:29:56 PM

Is the equivalent class WERA D Superstock? Or are WERA LW Twins classes consider more equivalent? Looks like the LW Twins (AKA: SV650 spec class) classes have a pretty good turn out. The D Superstock classes not so much...just looking at Grattan.
Nevermind I see the SV doesn't fit in the D classes. 

Gino230

Quote from: HerbigCBR on August 05, 2014, 01:29:56 PM

Can we assume by "not working" you mean small grids? How are the rest of the LW classes doing?

Just curious. Here in FL, LW SS is one of the smallest grids. Most people mod their machines beyond the SS rules. I ran the LWSS class for 7 years and loved it....but the grids were usually less than 5 machines. Even at Daytona when I won the race, we barely had enough for Dunlop contingency.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23

HerbigCBR

Quote from: Gino230 on August 05, 2014, 05:49:42 PM
Can we assume by "not working" you mean small grids? How are the rest of the LW classes doing?

Just curious. Here in FL, LW SS is one of the smallest grids. Most people mod their machines beyond the SS rules. I ran the LWSS class for 7 years and loved it....but the grids were usually less than 5 machines. Even at Daytona when I won the race, we barely had enough for Dunlop contingency.

Yes, i mean small grids. I was the only expert LWSS last month at blackhawk. In 2013, we had 5 "regulars" and in 2012 it was 2 "regulars" (experts). LWSS has been the smallest of all expert grids in the midwest ever since I can recall.

I don't necessarily blame CCS for the problem in LWSS because I understand why people do a few upgrades that are not legal in SS but make them more competitive in the rest of the lightweight classes. Build a bike that is competitive in one class, or spend a little more to have a bike that is competitive in 5 other lightweight classes and skip supersport. I get it.

I have stuck with LWSS the past few years because of my budget and I thought it should be one of the "cheapest" CCS classes to race when I started and I had people to race with. How much cheaper do you get than an supersport SV650? Even ninja 250s arent that much cheaper, if at all...

All I know is that I'm having way more fun actually racing people for 5th place in the other classes (on my SS bike.) Guess Ill throw some flatslides on for next year...

Sorry for the threadjack. Guess if the 565 ran in LWSS, there wouldnt be anybody to protest! JK!
Jared Herbig - CCS #323
Thanks to: Spears Racing - TSE

LWT Racer

Atlantic CCS grids are nice size and not ruled by the Ducati's. 

That is all. :)
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

apriliaman

Yep big grids in Supersport in Mid Atlantic area.Gino all of your motocorse ducatis would have to run against 600's in Wera,even mine.They would have to run a factory stock engine then it would be ok,but the SV can be superbike.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006