News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Should the GSXR565 (and similar bikes) be outlawed?

Started by MACOP1104, July 13, 2014, 09:41:58 AM

Capitalview

Yes it does.  It says "Twin cylinder, liquid cooled, non-desmodromic valves, up to 800cc"

The new 696 is liquid cooled.

SVbadguy

Unless you know something I don't, it's air-cooled.   The Ducati website even says air-cooled. 
Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

LWT Racer

I think he's confusing it with the new 821 monster which is liquid cooled. the 696 is air cooled and I highly doubt it actually makes 80hp.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

Capitalview

Wow, I don't know what I was thinking.  I am losing it today...

Kurlon

Quote from: Swiest on September 07, 2014, 08:31:49 PM
I think he's confusing it with the new 821 monster which is liquid cooled. the 696 is air cooled and I highly doubt it actually makes 80hp.

80hp at the brochure at most...

Gino230

That bike/engine doesn't belong in LW. It's a de-stroked 848 and it has way too much potential.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

LWT Racer

Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

JWZelibor

just curious but what standards and regulations are in place on CCS's side between staff and officials to ensure that these bikes are indeed 565cc's vs people just entering a 600 that is set on "C" mode and printing out a "build sheet/fake receipt" and banking on the fact they wont get protested....most of these built 565's are producing more HP that a OEM 600 motor does....also is there a way to check the cc's of these engines track side if one were to be protested? i would think a 450cc  build (deactivation of one complete cylinder) would be more reasonable in making it a bike that would easily be verified and a more competitive bike against the lesser machines...
"I dont really know how to put this.......I'm kind of a big deal around here.......People know me"

Kurlon

Normally, the racer's claim of eligibility is taken as good until there is a reason to suspect otherwise.  It's the honor system until you're called out by a protest and proven (or admit) otherwise.  The protest system has provisions for how far a bike has to be torn down to demonstrate it is class eligible, in this case you'd be taking the head off, measuring bore and stroke directly.  If you're racing against these bikes and think one is cheating, put up the protest fee and get them torn down.  If you're right, you loose nothing, if you're wrong, they get the fee to compensate for new gaskets, labor, etc caused by the teardown.

clarustnb

I think the penalty should be increased for a failed protest to something like removal of all season points, a public apology at the riders meeting, and possibly a flogging.

Not saying people do cheat, but if you honestly are... you are a very bad person.
Benjamin Loyle
SV650 # 909
http://loyle.lwtracer.com/

Kurlon

There are other penalties associated with failing a protest, I just don't have my rule book in front of me.

JWZelibor

so it doesnt seem like there is any kind of protocol for CCS to verify these machines....i guess the beauty of it is no one in thier right mind gonna tear down thier $8k motor build  to the rods (to verify lenght for stroke measurement) for $500 so once they forfit the 1st protest any/every weekend after that you can re protest them over and over with the same $500....i think its a great concept and i remember reading about the gsxr450's that were gonna be built for this cause to make a superior bike LW legal..which would be easliy verified by not only the sound of the engine but also visually from the lack of 4 spark plugs (or being all hooked up for that manner) and make for really good racing....just saying if there is going to be the allowance of these machines that look like a 600, sound like a 600, perform like a 600...there should be a procedure in place with CCS officials to verify these bikes are indeed 565cc's....also how accurate is the equipment used to verify measurement during a teardown (which is opening a totally different can of worms if there is a "margin of error %" involved with inspection)? as 565.000000001 cc's is not 565cc's correct?
"I dont really know how to put this.......I'm kind of a big deal around here.......People know me"