News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Spectating at Summit Point?

Started by nwatkins176, May 25, 2014, 01:18:35 PM

Big Ragu

I am always entertained with the sentiment shared on these sites that since you pay SO much for a weekend of racing that you feel "what is another $50+" or anyone who questions the fee policy is considered a cheapskate. I propose that all of you with too much money start a PayPal fund for the rest of us who live within a budget. How about we can call it the Fiscally Responsible Racer and Friends Fund?  Sorry for the sarcasm but policies that don't make sense irritate me.
I think what most of you are overlooking is how the fee schedule is defined.... 3 Day = $35, 2 Day = $25, 1 Day = $15. This means that for one day of spectating you should only have to pay $15 per person, but if you come to watch on Saturday you will be required to pay $25 regardless if you are only staying for the day.
This past weekend I invited some family and friends to watch the races at the track. Friday night on my way into the track I asked the person at the gate what my family would have to pay if they only stayed one day. His response was $35. I asked if they returned the wrist band at the gate would they get a refund for the difference – he said No. I  asked CCS personnel about this and no one had any idea what the policy is. I told my family and friends to stay home. I will send them the GoPro video instead.

xseal

How many tens of thousands of spectators do you think came out this weekend to see us?

Gino230

This is an issue in every region. In FL it's $35 for a 2 day and $20 or $25 for just Sunday. We only race on Sunday, Sat is all practice.

I never invite family or friends, (just the wife) because I feel like they would be coming out to see me, not that they are that interested in the actual racing. So getting them to come all that way and give up a summer day with the kids, etc. PLUS have them pay $25 each is a bit much. One time I asked if I could buy bulk tickets in advance but as I recall there was little or no discount.

The little car racing I have done, they give out so many promo tickets that the paddock is full of spectators checking out the cars, asking questions, etc. and it DOES bring more people to the sport.

I'm not complaining about the $35 gate for the participants, but I do think a $10 or $15 gate for spectators (Sunday only) would benefit us in the end. Or maybe One weekend a year spectators get in free? What a thought.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

roadracer162

Quote from: Gino230 on May 29, 2014, 10:34:18 AM
This is an issue in every region. In FL it's $35 for a 2 day and $20 or $25 for just Sunday. We only race on Sunday, Sat is all practice.

I never invite family or friends, (just the wife) because I feel like they would be coming out to see me, not that they are that interested in the actual racing. So getting them to come all that way and give up a summer day with the kids, etc. PLUS have them pay $25 each is a bit much. One time I asked if I could buy bulk tickets in advance but as I recall there was little or no discount.

The little car racing I have done, they give out so many promo tickets that the paddock is full of spectators checking out the cars, asking questions, etc. and it DOES bring more people to the sport.

I'm not complaining about the $35 gate for the participants, but I do think a $10 or $15 gate for spectators (Sunday only) would benefit us in the end. Or maybe One weekend a year spectators get in free? What a thought.

Are you sure Gino? Pretty sure it is $30 for the weekend. $15 for Saturday practice and $20 for Sunday and $30 for Saturday and sunday
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Big Ragu

Quote from: Gino230 on May 29, 2014, 10:34:18 AM

I don't know what the best answer is but I think it might be the idea of everyone pays that days full price but when you leave and you don't intent to return, you should be able to trade in your wrist band for the appropriate refund. I think the problem with having a "spectator fee" is anyone could say they are only spectating for the day and really stay the rest of the weekend. You could have different colored wristbands for different days but who is going to police that?
I think the main point of this whole post is no one's complaining about paying a spectator fee, we are just frustrated with a policy that requires a different fee for the same product (spectating on Saturday = $25 when spectating on Sunday = $15)

nwatkins176

So if spectating was free or cheap 5 or 10 bucks a day on the honor system if somebody doesn't leave, and the races drew 100's or even 1000's of spectators, would that be easier to obtain and make sponsors happy?  If there were more sponsors would the club grow?  Just my thoughts. 

Woofentino Pugrossi

Blackhawk Farms used to have different wristbands for full weekend or one day. One day was $10 no matter which day they wanted to come (back when racing here was sat and sunday with friday being a practice only day). That policy ended because a bunch of asshats kept paying for one day and staying the whole weekend without paying for the other days. All they had to do was in the morning go get a new wristband and we never would have had an issue. So in other words, a bunch of idiots ruined it for the rest of us.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

britx303

okay,i would suggest try doing what I just did a few moments ago.i wrote a calm and no non-sense,vulgar free please,letter to summit point through their website,in regards to the high gate fees.i hate the fees too,as I have to pay full price for myself wife and children.if enough racers,riders,spectators,etc.etc. write in politely with concern over gate fees,we might get something positive out of this,as in a reduced fee(hopefully). somehow or another,when you do a trackday at summit there is no gate fee.so there is no reason a reduced fee cannot be accomplished.all we can do is try........

ahastings

I dont believe the gate fee is charged by CCS or any sanction. The gate fee is charged by the track. Some tracks do allow you to return your wristband upon exiting the track if you only stay one day and rfund the difference. It would be a simple system for summit to enact. Also at Summit you have to pay for that day if you get there before 10pm which is kind of ridiculous. all that days events are over by 6pm
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor