ccs trial run?

Started by britx303, May 16, 2014, 06:18:33 PM

britx303

my 600 is a totally stock fzr engine besides advancing the timing. I don't really want to be out there with modern 600's....just different animals.besides,id be getting lapped enough to get flagged off,so I thought.not sure where I was going with the 3 cyl thought(or lack thereof :lmao:) im just racking my brain to figure what I can do with what ive got. hell I might even teardown my fzr/ex500 and put a stock ex500 together for the 500SS.gee its Wednesday,what could go right :biggrin:

bruce71198

GP rules kind of cater to builder bikes, non common engine/chassis combinations. CCS needs to look at it this way and honestly look at what is competitive with what. I think the best competition for your 4oo/600 is the current lightweight bikes.

britx303

Quote from: bruce71198 on May 21, 2014, 06:55:06 PM
GP rules kind of cater to builder bikes, non common engine/chassis combinations. CCS needs to look at it this way and honestly look at what is competitive with what. I think the best competition for your 4oo/600 is the current lightweight bikes.
at this point,i think this is correct. looking at lightweight GP summit laptimes are comparable to mine,so its a safer closing speed with each other,in my opinion. all I can do now is see what K.Elliott says,besides "GET A NEW BIKE!!!!"

roadracer162

@ Brit and Bruce, I believe you are on the right track but Brit you are already prepared to hear the response you will get,"get a new competitive bike". Been there!  I find that my times on the 1991 FZR 600 is essentially the same as what I achieve on the 2004 Ducati 800. The SV 650 is also a close match. What I was told is, "if you want to run a 600 get a new bike". I've also heard that CCS is not in the business of making your bike legal for a class(not by CCS officials). I have asked for the 2000 Ducati 748 be allowed in the GT and GP lightweight class. No go.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

bruce71198

But CCS has already set precedent by allowing the 600 in LW F40.

roadracer162

The FZR 600 is legal in LW F40 class as long as it adheres to Thunderbike rules
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Gino230

Quote from: bruce71198 on May 21, 2014, 09:52:15 PM
But CCS has already set precedent by allowing the 600 in LW F40.

Yes, But as The Powers That Be have stated, LWF40 and TB are a mix of LW and MW, since they are sportsman classes.

You must remember that every time a rule is changed, they have to figure out every way which that rule can be applied to various bikes or combinations of frames / engines if swaps are allowed, which they are not in most classes. That is why it's difficult to get the rules changed. Look at the 500 class and all the drama that's going on there with what will be allowed!

WERA allows frame and engine swaps. CCS generally does not.

Too bad, we'd love to have you down here and we would welcome more participants in the LW classes.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

britx303

well at this point,i have contacted both deciding powers and its yet decided if I can run thunderbike. I thought this would be the best class for myself/bike,but if anyone here has another suggestion or input let me know.otherwise I will just man-up and run with the modern guys if that's the final word.in wera we do a 2 wave with them(modern 600's) out front anyhow,so if I get lapped by a few,oh well,ive gotten abit accustomed to getting buzzed by those bikes anyways. at this point im really looking forward to racing with ccs. :thumb:

bruce71198

Quote from: Gino230 on May 22, 2014, 04:00:15 PM
Yes, But as The Powers That Be have stated, LWF40 and TB are a mix of LW and MW, since they are sportsman classes.

You must remember that every time a rule is changed, they have to figure out every way which that rule can be applied to various bikes or combinations of frames / engines if swaps are allowed, which they are not in most classes. That is why it's difficult to get the rules changed. Look at the 500 class and all the drama that's going on there with what will be allowed!

WERA allows frame and engine swaps. CCS generally does not.

Too bad, we'd love to have you down here and we would welcome more participants in the LW classes.

Thats what GP is for. Kind of no holds barred kind of bike. As for Thunder Bike, I dont think the 600 should be allowed as it is not very thunderous !!

britx303

the rulebook does say under thunderbike, liquid cooled 4 cylinder 1990-1992 year up to 650cc.

roadracer162

Quote from: britx303 on May 22, 2014, 07:28:42 PM
the rulebook does say under thunderbike, liquid cooled 4 cylinder 1990-1992 year up to 650cc.

I covered this already. Yes it does report that for a true FZR 600 which I have a 630cc motor for it. It also states in Thunderbike same frame, crankcase and head which means the FZR 400 frame must have an fzr400 crankcase, and head. What is allowed in this FZR 400 is if you were to install FZR 600 components into the FZR 400 crankcase then you are good to go. The FZR 600 crank does fit with a little machining. I have one such short block which I hope to put into one of my FZR 400 frames. The weak point of this motor will be the transmission.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

roadracer162

I have raced my FZR 600 because it is what I could afford. Racing is a rich man's game. I bought by 1991 FZR 600 for $1500. I spent another $2500 of motor work and an additional $1500 in accessory and suspension. I won the 2005 Florida regional championships in AM LW F40 and Thunderbike. I went to expert in 2006 and in 2007 I won the Florida regional championship in EX LW F40. The FZR 600 is comparable to a similar set up SV650 or my Ducati 800 which I spent $10k to build, and that's a mild build
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22