News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

ccs trial run?

Started by britx303, May 16, 2014, 06:18:33 PM

roadracer162

I like the way you think, but sadly I have been called out in the past. Can you get away with it? Certainly if nobody protested. Is it really and advantage? No, unless you are racing against me and my much heavier FZR 600 based frame.some 25lbs advantage in stock form
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

roadracer162

If you do get a letter allowing you to run your bike legally, please forward that letter to me. I would love to run my FZR 400 frame with my FZR 600 motor, and since it is pre 1990 I can build it to a full 735cc with no problems(Bob Shy comes to mind).

Honestly I would love to run my FZR and many times I have though of moving to WERA just for it. Just that the distance is so much further from West Palm Beach, Fl
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

britx303

no way,i wouldn't actually try that just for that fear of being busted too. im trying to sell some other bikes and nab a stock 400,thats fairly close to me, for the new 500 class you guys have if I cant get approval on my 4/6.talk about cutting it close with the races next weekend,but life is never simple :biggrin:.if youre worried about distance,my next mid-atlantic wera round is road Atlanta........I live in Maryland!! our schedule is really cruddy this year,which is why im trolling here for a place to go. the ccs mid-atlantic schedule is damn near perfect for me,if you guys would just let me run my bike!! :banghead:

roadracer162

Ive got four 400 motors. Two totals loss, one of which has 60 mm pistons. Nice power but working on some coolant sealing issues. The other two are both stock with charging system, one a basket case which I am still racing and the other intended for the street bike.

I would love to put all the FZR stuff into good use. I raced on the FZR stuff for a long time and did so very inexpensively. Then I went to the Ducati lineup and blew my race budget out of the water.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

britx303

yes, I thought I recognized your name from the 400 list. okay the verdict on where I can race in ccs with the 400/600 from E. Kelcher is Middle GP,Unlimited GP, GTU and GTO. It is looking like I wont be able to nab up a stock 400 racer that's closeby in time for the weekend coming up.i really wish I would have known about the 500 ss class a few months ago.maybe I will give the GP classes a go this weekend..........

apriliaman

It's crazy that the rules for the bikes you can have in thunderbike is a ducati 749R superbike or a 1991 suzuki gsxr 1100 built up to1200,there are other bikes.Yet you cannot race a fzr 400 frame with a 600 engine.The rules need to be redone.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

britx303

phew.....just checked various results from the classes im approved to race in, man you guys really don't like our bikes around here :lmao: I understand the promoting of new bikes for racing,but the shame really to me is there are quite a few of us that have a 400 chassis with the 600,that will jump at the chance to run in a class with ccs where we would be even remotely competitive. the results im seeing,i don't think even the fastest fzr400/600 guys(not me whatsoever) would run even in the front half of the pack,maybe im wrong,but it just seems so.im not giving up just yet though,just picked a bad time to make the mental commitment to come to ccs.  hey apriliaman,do you have a spare 400 engine lying around :biggrin:

bruce71198

It may not hurt to petition the powers that be to let you run that bike in lightweight. Kevin Elliot is pretty accessible via email.

apriliaman

I dont have a spare engine but I have a bunch of spare parts.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

roadracer162

It may not hurt to petition. I have in the past with the FZR 600 which in my mind is at a disadvantage to the 4/600 set up based upon weight alone, and I was dismissed because the FZR 600 is a middleweight bike. 

The FZR 4/600 could be legal for LW GP and GT lights if the 600 motor is downsized to 565cc such as the most current GSXR 600 team challenge racer. 
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

britx303

what about blanking one plug,or however those guys do that,and run it as a 450 triple.......the weekend is pretty much here at this point,so better planning for next time,dang.

roadracer162

There are several ways to do it one of which is the same dimensions used for the FZR 400 to 565cc. The FZR 600 block and transmission would be a better platform but that is against Thunderbike class rules. What was done was to build the FZR 400 up using the 600 whether FZR or YZF and build from there. The FZR 400 head does not flow as much as the FZR 600, and the FZR 600 head ported just catches up to the YZF 600. Put that motor against the reduced GSXR 600 and it still doesn't compete. The chassis of a GSXR is way better than any FZR even the FZR 400
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22