News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Race Take-offs

Started by mculik, May 05, 2014, 06:39:18 PM

mculik

I am new to the racing scene. I'm gonna try and use race take offs while i'm learning and slow. Any tips on how to tell actual wear, things to look out for, what not to buy?

Obviously big tears and shredded tires are obvious but...anyone have a good rule of thumb or tips? (sv650). Appreciate it!

roadracer162

The answer you seek is very subjective. Some tires will look great, but traction will not be there. From what I have seen the first 30 laps is the best life of any tire. Some brands will degrade at a faster rate but they are all similar.

The Michelin on the other hand will look extremely used. I do get 100 laps out of a power cup rear on a lightweight bike and have a degradation of 1 second on my lap times. In team challenge the #49 bike has been getting 150 laps on the front slick and 75 laps on the rear slick(GT Lights machine)
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

brveagle

Most of the time, race takeoffs are taken off because they are shot.. Not only will the handling be different on worn tires, but running takeoffs will lead to inconsistencys on handling and performance of the bike.
I would recommend not skimping on tires.

tug296

Nothing like a fresh pair.
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

vnvbandit

Buy a new set.  Tires on a sv650 last.
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

mculik

Thanks for the info guys! I think i'll take your suggestions and steer away from it.... Appreciate the help

SV88

It's not worth compromising on tires.  One bad spill can cost you way more than tires.  I ran the previous year's tires most of last year & finally splurged on a new set for my last race @ Homestead.  The difference was substantial - much more grip which resulted in more confidence & speed.  On the R6, I'll probably be replacing the rear every weekend and running 2-3 fronts for every rear.  On an sv you should be able to double that at least.  The faster guys really don't go thru tires that much because they corner so fast so they're not accelerating and braking as hard as the rest of us - they are smooth also.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

Pirelli Tire Guy

Like posted above, NEW race rubber is cheap insurance in the long run. There are basically four brands out there that would be viable to go and race on. I represent Pirelli, if you have a question or many questions, please feel free to call me. I am always available, and have been doing tires since the late 90's
James Bock
Podium Motorsports Pirelli
Podium-Motorsports-Pirelli@facebook.com
912 655 1433

sonicnofadz

I've got a SHITLOAD of bridgestone R10's and Michelin Power cup take offs you can have for free if you want ;)  I've tried selling them but no one seems to want them.  If the rear isn't TOO worn I would re-use them, re-using front tires take offs is just asking for a lowside.  Sliding the rear ain't no big deal, sliding the front around ain't fun.

apriliaman

New is what you want even for a new rider unless you can get them from someone who uses them for 20 laps and takes them off.I did that before when I was starting.Todays tires laptimes will be slower after 40 laps or more.In the Team Challenge race that was almost 3 hrs we ran the same set over 80 laps but our lap times were 1 second slower a lap after halfway..It will be hard to find take offs for an SV anyway for the rear as I don't see people having them for sale like years ago.I have  used my take offs for the Street for more then 15 years and never had any problems and there good for that.I use Pirelli  or Bridgestone is what I use.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

Gino230

I personally have never raced on take offs, but I know many riders who put on new rubber after 30 or 40 laps on a LW bike. If you've ever run an endurance race, you know they are good for a heck of a lot longer than that. Even if the times do drop off a bit.

Of course there is nothing safer than a new set- but if you're learning, and you can find a good low lap set from a source you trust, you will be ok.

Heck, we're all burning our bank accounts doing this sport, some more than others, so if you can afford it, new tires will provide that extra margin of safety if you screw up. But if it comes down to not riding because you can't afford new rubber, I wouldn't hesitate to run takeoffs, knowing that I was not going to set the track record on them, of course.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!