News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Hayden found Illegal? Are you legal?

Started by SMI, May 07, 2003, 05:10:13 PM

SMI

Tommy Hayden was just fined for Illegal cylinder head modifications. Which brings up the question,If your CCS region decieded to "impound" your bike or a competitor filed a protest against your bike, would it pass inspection??  

rick

Of course it would!
Although, someone has to be upset with you enough to fork over the $300 to file that kind of mechanical protest. I've been wondering if CCS puts the bike back together again afterwards or just hands you the pieces 'cause I'm not sure if the $300 is enough to pay someone to put it back together again if it was hypothetically beyond your ability and the bike was legal.

..Anyway, the arbitrary way the AMA enforces rules sometimes really bugs me. >:(

sdiver68

I'd be willing to bet the $300 on several bikes I could name but won't...but I would never actually file a protest 8)

Yes mine would pass, except a NRRS Sportbike event, and if i entered one it would be changed to pass that as well.

As for Hayden, He shoud have been stripped of all 3 race wins.  Oh, it was 'only' cylinder modification, lol  It's more of the chicken shit cheater mentality that gets a light slap on the wrist, particularly when the factory is the one who got caught.

I've wondered about the teardown as well, who puts it back together?
MCRA Race School Instructor

dwilson

Even if the inspector put it back together, would you trust that they did a "quality" job (ie. all new gaskets, torqued to spec, etc...)?  

james-redsv

The inspectors put it back together, Ha Ha ha ha ;D They wont even help take the tank and seat off if you place top 3 in SS to check the air box.  :o If you did get protested for internal motor mods, you would probally be the one made to tear it down. ::)

BRG

I think the fee is $500, and I think YOU have to put it back together.

As for the taking the motor apart, I would rather see them run the bike on a dyno like they did for Alen Federson. I think he got protested one time in the last few years and the agreement was to take the bike to the nearest dyno and test it, I think it made 94hp (Stock GSXR 600 older model), and Alen made some $$$$.

Also, is the $500 worth taking your motor apart at the track with all the dust and garbage around then have to bag all the parts and take it down the road to have someone put it back together, Time + money lost (entrence fees) + weekend down the drain + potencial motor problems + cost to have it put back together + the always unexpected problems = alot more than $500.

As for passing myself, Yes 100% stock even has the stock air filter.

Baker  ;D

rick

Section 12 form the rulebook:
$500 if they split the cases
$300 to pull the head
$100 to put it on a dyno or pull the oil pan
$75 for pulling the valve cover
$25 to pull the body work, tank & seat

the_weggie_man

You tear it down and you put it back together. There's no other way to do it. Do you really want someone else digging around inside your engine except to inspect and measure things?

As for cheater motors ... they've been around forever and will be forever.  A lot of guys cheat their way up the ladder until they get busted. What do they have to lose?  All the organization can do is take your points for that race. They can't prove you were cheating in any other race. Of course they are then suspect in every race they do well in after that but some guys don't care, they say,"Put the money up to prove I'm cheating". Knowing most often that won't happen.

Also, a race organization doesn't have to have a protest to tear you down. I believe they can do it on their own free will if they suspect anything.

Actually I think it would be good for any organization to randomly check engines in the top runners just to be sure they are legal, especially in the money classes.  :o

Super Dave

And, of course, that the pro level, the factories have bikes that you can't buy.  Get with the program everyone.  But there are also bikes that are really stock still going fast.  Suspension is the game.  Some of the internal components in the AMA team bikes are big bucks.  More that the cost of the bike retail probably.

And would most mere mortal riders be able to utilize it?  Probably not.

And like Gordy said, you take it apart, you put it together.

There should be more random checks at various points among the riders.  It should be a reasonable playing field as it keeps everyone's costs down.
Super Dave

Super Dave

And if you really want to talk rules, let's talk about the fact that unleaded fuels that you buy at the pump are illegal under CCS and FUSA rules.  Someone may tell you otherwise, but I know how the HDE meter works.  It ain't legal.  And if no one is enforcing it, why have a rule like that?
Super Dave

BRG

Super Dave

QuoteAlso, is the $500 worth taking your motor apart at the track with all the dust and garbage around then have to bag all the parts and take it down the road to have someone put it back together, Time + money lost (entrence fees) + weekend down the drain + potencial motor problems + cost to have it put back together + the always unexpected problems = alot more than $500.

Or do you risk you hard earned and spent championship in the face of another competitors claim that you are cheating?  Needless to say, when it came down to it, I helped tear down someones motor to show that they were legal.  In fact, the motor was said by the head tech inspector to "be in need of a valve job!"  (Guess it was good that it was torn down.)

You can call it pride, but when it comes down to one's integrity...I'll go in an help someone pull it down.

And I offered my bike to the guy if it didn't get back together in time.
 8)
Super Dave