Firebolts in middleweight sportsman?

Started by JimH, May 07, 2003, 11:30:03 AM

PJ

Hi Jim, you got me out of lurking mode...

Yes, the Firebolt is legal in Middleweight Sportsman, due to it's 984cc air-cooled pushrod powertrain. As a former Hawk racer, I feel your pain. But, time marches on. And the truth is, the Aprila 250 (316s) made the class tougher for Hawk racers years ago.

I've raced the MW Sportsman class three times this season aboard a Firebolt XB9R, twice at Road America, and once at Blackhawk. At RA, I got my a** handed to me on Saturday by Jason Temme, a very fast guy aboard a very fast FZR 460. On Sunday I won, but only because Jason wasn't on the grid. Lon Allen aboard a 758cc Ducati finished just behind me on both days. At Blackhawk this past weekend, I had a great race with Gary Palmer aboard a 750cc Ducati and finished 2nd to him. We were turning nearly identical lap times (low 19s-high 18s), and I couldn't close up on him enough to try a pass. I don't recall seeing a Hawk on the grid at Road America or Blackhawk Farms.

So, the Firebolt seems competitive in MW Sportsman, but not dominant. Of course, the FZRs, Ducatis and Aprilias in the class are on the fat end of the development scale and the Firebolts out there are mostly stock. But without more engine displacement, there's not much you can do to the Firebolt to make more horsepower, and a bit more displacement would make it illegal for the class anyway.

I think the bottom line is the MW Sportsman class needs more bikes, not less. And a skilled rider on any bike legal for the class should be right in the thick of it. Get off the sidelines and come mix it up with us...

PS. Next time you better stop by my pit to say hi!

Paul James
CCS/FUSA #247
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

JimH

Paul! Good to see you posting here. Yeah, I agree the Hawk hasn't really been competitive for a couple of years but it's all I've got. I sold the SV to buy a Harley FLHT!  Although last season I eeked out a couple of wins when I was a yellow plated sandbagger, I don't think that will be possible this year against fast guys like you and Palmer etc. I remember a pro racer saying recently "if you can't race up front why bother". ;D
 Maybe I'll go see if Capital City HD/Buell will give me a Firebolt ;)

PJ

Congrats on the FLHT, Jim. Baggers are awesome. I know you and Beth will enjoy touring with it.

Next step, sell the Hawk and buy a Firebolt. They're starting to show up used (and crashed). I've never ridden anything that handles better.

Hope to see you at the track this summer...

Paul James
CCS/FUSA #247
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

Bernie

My buddies at the Harley shop tell me that the 'Bolts don't crash well.  Something about all that gas in the frame sliding down the asphalt...

Nate R

I've seen sliders on the firebolts that have been raced.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

PJ

Yep, frame sliders are a good idea (for any bike). But I've also seen F-Bolts crashed hard w/o sliders with nothing but cosmetic damage to the frame.

Cosmetic damage is the primary issue for street crashes, which is probably what the Harley shop guys are talking about.

Paul James
CCS/FUSA #247
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

MightyDuc Racing

I forgot that they use the frame for that.  Gotta admit, that's a pretty darn cool idea.  I am definitely not a fan of Harley, but Eric Buell seems pretty good for the sport we love so much. ;)
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Baltobuell

That guy has done alot for the racing community, sponsoring a class, racer support, and the ama just treats him like Rodney Dangerfield. I don't get it.
  Jim, your a Harley guy now, the rules say you have to race a Buell.