News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Over priced exhaust! Why????

Started by F2RGK, January 27, 2014, 09:25:48 PM

F2RGK

Can somebody tell me who came up with the IDEA that an aftermarket exhaust system should be priced nearly $2000 or higher ie: Ducati Termignoni, Yosh, akropovic, etc.  I didn't mention them all.  I am sorry, but if I am going to pay that price, it better give me some serious hp without doing anything else to the bike.  That money can buy a lot of motor that most people would be happy with.  I don't feel like giving a full essay here on my disappointment, but those prices are not helping this sport, and in this economy!  ***I am a dealer too and I think it's ridiculous!   :jerkoff:
If you're not Smilin' while you're ridin', then QUIT!

Woofentino Pugrossi

R&D, low production runs, pricey materials. Some you are just paying for a name (ie Termignoni).
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

F2RGK

Thanks Woof!  I kind of know that part, but it's still ridiculous.  On another note, glad to see you're still here!   :cheers:

Woofentino Pugrossi

Yeah it sucks on prices, hell I looked at Borla for my truck, duals, $1800. OUCH. Magnaflow wasnt much better other than more exit options.

Wasnt going anywheres other than getting out of the crash truck. Hell even got one of the track championships this year for BHF. (by 1 point  :lmao: ). Next goal is white plates.  :biggrin:
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

F2RGK

bruce71198

Hey, just digging through some old stuff and found the the old V&H system off my EX500. I'll let it go for the bargain price of $125.00. With a little work you can make it fit the Duc they're both twins, right?

jfboothe

Probably doesn't help but I ended up buying an entire other bike with the exhaust I wanted. Then swapped exhausts and sold the bike for $300 less than what I paid for it. I also got some other goodies (quickshifter, race fuel cap, etc) off the other bike too which made it a really good deal. 

Gino230

Quote from: jfboothe on February 06, 2014, 03:29:46 PM
Probably doesn't help but I ended up buying an entire other bike with the exhaust I wanted. Then swapped exhausts and sold the bike for $300 less than what I paid for it. I also got some other goodies (quickshifter, race fuel cap, etc) off the other bike too which made it a really good deal. 

Ha! I'm thinking of doing the same thing! It's crazy.

Do what the Ferrari guys do- one guy buys the $15k exhaust and sends it to China where it's copied and reproduced for $1000.

Then you are promptly shunned and kicked off the forum for hurting capitalism.

And no, it wasn't me :)
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

Gino230

But seriously, these people probably spend lots of time on CAD and various flow programs, then buy a bike, fab up many versions of the exhaust, multiple Dyno runs, etc. setting up production probably has some high fixed costs that have to be amortized over only a few thousand units. Rent on the Machine shops, pipe benders, welding equipment, labor, obamacare, and smoke breaks and vending machines for the employees.

Thousands of feet of titanium tubing.

Then after all that, some guy at AMA tech cuts the cans in half and says naaah, we can't homologate this......so you start all over.

Don't forget lawyers for when you get sued by the douche who gets burned by the pipe or the widow who says the pipe made the bike too fast and that made poor innocent hubby (who had never before sped or popped a wheelie) wheelie uncontrollably into a lamp post.

It's amazing they are being built at all!

PS I don't know how you guys deal with all this snow and freezing weather.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!