Transponder Orientation / Location

Started by ten.98, January 24, 2014, 05:14:08 PM

ten.98

Hey everyone, starting my rookie season this year, trying to piece everything together prior to race 1 but getting some conflicting info on transponder mounting location and orientation.  Did a search but it looks like it's been a year or two since it's been discussed and just wanted to make sure I have the correct info for the current season and transponders.

On orientation:

I purchased a hardwired Westhold transponder (model WH-RMS-2165-001) and in the directions it comes with it say to mount the device horizontally, label facing down towards the track (it even goes so far as to specifically recommend against mounting it vertically as it can produce inconsistent readings); however, according to what I am assuming is the official CCS instructions found here:

http://ccsracing.us/forms/transponder_mounting_instructions.pdf

it says to mount in a vertical upright position with the label facing to the right.  Which to go by?

On location:

In the referenced document above it describes the "preferred" mounting location as the outer edge of the right fork leg... but I've also see forum posts asking the same questions and someone responding back saying that if your transponder is mounted in front of the rider it's grounds for DQ.

http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php/topic,25397.msg204227.html#msg204227

So just trying to get the latest and greatest info on this.  Any help would be appreciated.

Jeremy

vnvbandit

Zip tie it to the right fork tube between the triple trees or to the right lower leg.
The old system mounted it behind the rider.
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

ymracing

I like to mount my transponders on a pole sticking out about 10 feet ahead of the bike! :cheers:
Garry W. Bird
YMRacing, Champaign, IL USA
AHRMA BOT F2, CCS  AM Lightweight F40; Lightweight Grand Prix #72
Lightweight....ya sure...

ten.98

Thanks for the help guys.  Fork leg it is. 

Eric Kelcher

Follow the Westhold instructions for the hardwired unit.
I need to get updated instructions for mounting the hardwired units we have added in the off season. It should be mounted as close to the fork leg as possible but I would not mount to fork leg due to the wires. Mount to the fairing stay, upper fairing, etc.

The mounting on front of bike was a change 2 seasons ago with the advent of the activated units as opposed to the rechargeable units that were used the previous seasons.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition