sponsorship

Started by stofficer2, January 08, 2014, 10:20:14 AM

stofficer2

A bit off topic from "racing talk" but seems related here. What are some tips and tricks for getting sponsors? Specifically the guys that are only racing CCS.
Who do you approach and how do you approach them? How do you cross the "club racing" hurdle that seems to come up frequently.

LWT Racer

Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

stofficer2

Could you be a bit more specific? Do you approach them via social media or offer to promote them through social media?

LWT Racer

Show them you can get their name out there.  Instagram, Twitter, etc....  @ and # those companies when you can.
Get followers. Be active. Post videos on Youtube. Use the description for sponsors and links.

Just putting their name on sponsor list and bike isn't much.  Need more then that these days.

Some racers make resumes and send it to companies.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

MELK-MAN

the best thing you can do, is sign up for the contingency programs offered.. This way if you finish top 5 (typically) in selected classes you WILL win stuff. Certificates toward the purchase of the product by the sponsoring company. Silkolene oil, EBC brakes, Sharkskinz bodywork, vortex, etc.. all pay in multiple classes.
Short of that.. you need to have a rich friend that has no problem just handing over money to you to help with your racing. Face it. What company, especially non-race related businesses, will want to just hand over money to a club racer. Let alone pro's in the current AMA roadracing environment. You somehow have to show that company you can reward them MORE than they are giving you. Short of that, what sensible business person would "sponsor" a roadracer ?? Woodcraft takes annual resumes and gives $500 toward their product. Some others do the same in return for simply running their stickers on your bike and listing them as a sponsor for results sheets.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Doublea

Break it down however you see fit for the company you are representing, but here's how I see sponsorship...aside from being an approachable and friendly individual, you need to approach them with three basic things:

1. Who you are
This includes things relevant to the company. For example, if they're a suspension firm and you have education in engineering, let them know that you understand the physics of bikes, tires, geometry, damping, et. al.
Your racing background, your training, all things relevant to your character as a rider.

2. What the company can do for you
Services and/or products? Be sure to have an idea and give an idea of what you are looking for, not just "some support".
Example- Free oil changes for wins, or discounted parts for podiums, etc.
Keep in mind you are a club racer, and depending on your history, you have to think about how many chips they see in your stack...which leads to:

3. What you can do for the company
What real estate can you give them? Title sponsor, largest decal on the bike, 6" on the fairing, 4" on the windscreen, large decals on the support vehicle, patches, ... This is where you get to sell them on the idea that their company is actually going to make money from giving you money. It's not a good place to BS them, but marketing pays, and sponsors know it. That's why they sponsor.

Good Luck!
CCS # 37

Kadius

I remember attending a race school and the topic of sponsorship came up. Their answer was to just get out there and ask. What's the worst they can say..."no?"

Well, I don't go around randomly just asking for sponsorship. In my experience it really helps to have friends in the industry. The sponsors I have were secured through friends either owning or working for that business, which are all motorcycle related. Do more track days and perhaps you can befriend people like that.

There is also those companies like Woodcraft and CycleGear that have a racer contingency program. They usually don't offer a whole lot, but any little bit helps.
AM #116

Kadius

Oh, and there is no reason to sign up for some contingency as well, like Greg said. I've found that Sharkskinz is really on top of paying out contingency in the form of credit coupons for their products. The other ones you have to remind them, lol.
AM #116

Gino230

It's a tough situation for sponsorship, look at the AMA- it has become a glorified club race with 13 superbike entrants at the last round? There's not much money to go around.

I'm afraid that the economic downturn sort of created a tipping point....in other words, companies pulled their sponsorship and then realized that there really was very little benefit to this anyway, so they're not likely to return to the sponsorship game. Sort of like the airlines after 9/11. Business travel dried up and still hasn't really come back the way it was, as businesses moved to video conferences and other technology related solutions.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to ask. But before you ask, make sure you have something to show- I would suggest being active on Twitter and Facebook, etc. It goes without saying that you need to have a professional looking setup, clean bike and leathers with professional paint job, etc. In the old days you had to have top results, week after week, year after year in order to get name recognition. Nowadays, some of the most "famous" and well known riders have never even been on the podium. Thank you social media.

If you can stomach all that self promotion, you will have a shot at getting something for it. I got some sponsorship from a corporate sponsor in 2009, and all I did was ask. Corporations are much tighter with a buck these days but it CAN be done....and persistence pays off.

Good luck!
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

MELK-MAN

and here is something to think about, that i did not know until this year.. SUPPORT those companies that are headline sponsors for CCS/ASRA, and are contingency sponsors. The money they pay CCS/ASRA to be able to promote, helps keep our entry fees down as they pay CCS/ASRA to be the key sponsors.. You don't think Michelin gets to call the ASRA races the "Michelin ASRA series" because the Mr. Bib is cute do ya ? no way.. Michelin pays ASRA to be a sponsor of the series. Is it a bummer there is no tire contingency ? sure. But our entry fees just may be where they are because of series sponsors like Michelin and the others.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

DachshundUberAlles

OK, let's be brutal here. As a "club racer" you are basically limited to local entities who are being relentlessly inundated with sponsorship requests for youth sports team/leagues, charity events, and school fund drives. The "payoff" for them is exposure and good will within their community. What are you (in the collective, not the OP specifically) looking to get from said sponsor? Obviously to defray as much of the season long expenditures as possible, but what area specifically would you like this/these sponsor(s) to assist? Compiling a cumulative expense list, fuel, accommodation, food, entry, transport vehicle upkeep/service, race bike upkeep/service will give prospective sponsors an idea of what is involved and what level of assistance they might feel comfortable with and it might give them insight into the level of commitment you have that you have shouldered these expenses yourself for whatever length of time you have been involved.
Other than the "prestige" of being involved in an exciting sport, what is their sponsorship going to return to them? Considering that the majority of the racing events are not in their local vicinity, how is sponsoring you going to increase their business? How will you stir up the local customer base beyond an "appearance day" with the bike at their place of business? Basically, you are asking them to buy a billboard that will be seen exclusively by people in towns 100+ miles away and when it is seen, just how many "butts in the seats" non-participant spectators are going to be attending these events?
I do think that the social media blitz idea has some legs to it but it could also work against someone who has , let's say, a "colorful" history out there. I know I'm not the only person in here who has seen the WERA forum and some of the commentary put out by the members there, especially in their "dungeon" section. If you were a person being approached by a racer looking for sponsorship and took just a short stroll through their internet commentary and saw that kind of talk, would you want to attach yourself to that? Give money to that? Putting your name on someone's enterprise through your financial support is every bit the equivalent of endorsing all they have ever said and all they ever will say. Can your own past stand up to a "background check"? You are a spokesman for the sponsors, regardless of the level in the world.
Racing is an expensive game and everybody is looking for whatever help they can get. I am in total agreement with those who have noted the decline in the players out there with the ability to shoulder a "patronage" and wish each and every person out there success in their quest to form that alliance.

pdoughduc

Anyone ever tried "LLC'ing" their race team as a non-profit - receiving "donations" from companies could then be used as tax exemptions? 
(I don't have even a hint of a clue if that's technically legal, I'm just asking...)
Mid-Atlantic/Atlantic
AM #82
Ducati 900SS