News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

BMW HP2 Sport

Started by Bitgeist Racing 696, January 01, 2014, 09:08:40 PM

benprobst

Quote from: MACOP1104 on April 24, 2014, 06:34:53 AM
I'm going to take an SV1000 and install air cooled billet cylinders with cooling fins on it.  I'll grind the cam lobes flat so only 2 valves work, then add an additional oil cooler and route the oil through the cylinder heads.   There it is, an air cooled two valve 1000cc bike.  Sounds like an overweight dud already lol....

I have drawings, notes, and parts for something close to this. You missed a few opportunities for power, but you're on the right track. I'll do it eventually.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

LWT Racer

Gotta use the 1200cc piston kit.  Put motor in ducati frame. Boy that'll make some ducfanboys mad.

Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

Capitalview

Good points Ben. You are right too. 

I would just love to see more people racing.  I know a bunch of people taking the LCR school in may starting in LW.  I want to see them continue and not be discouraged by the costs.

benprobst

Quote from: Swiest on April 24, 2014, 09:59:29 AM
Gotta use the 1200cc piston kit.  Put motor in ducati frame. Boy that'll make some ducfanboys mad.

Wrong chassis. But correct piston size.  :biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

benprobst

Quote from: Capitalview on April 24, 2014, 10:25:07 AM
Good points Ben. You are right too. 

I would just love to see more people racing.  I know a bunch of people taking the LCR school in may starting in LW.  I want to see them continue and not be discouraged by the costs.

The good news is they have two years where the bike makes zero difference. They are also starting up north where SVs have and will continue to win 99% of the races.
Home of the GSXR 565

George_Linhart

Quote from: benprobst on April 24, 2014, 09:45:40 AM

As tough as it is, it's something I've been forced to learn, and I suggest you try to look at it this way. Money isn't the same to everyone, neither is racing. I'm a middle class guy, so spending 15-20k a year to go racing is a big deal and a real effort that requires planning and cost control. Not everyone is like that. And placing others in your income bracket/mentality is really a waste of brain power. For some guys, 20k is their consulting fee for a weekend flight to South America, or their 100k racing budget for the year is their 1st quarter sales bonus. It's their money, they should be able to spend it as they please.

Who am I/you/anyone to say how they spend it or what class they race in. We are all exercising some form of  a ridiculous hobby, and those spending 10k a season to go racing are in many cases even more ridiculous than those spending 100k when you compare that to their annual income or financial standing.

In my opinion, the issue here is the class structure. I hate a society or mindset that punishes people for excellence. The class rules are clear, why are those who take advantage of it the bad guys. I disagree with a LW class that allows a 120hp pierrbon to race, but it's legal and therefor I applaud their effort. We also decided to not sit back and take it, so we built a bike that I think can beat it, and did it very economically. Which is at the heart of the LW class, even when applied to the Ducati iterations some love and others loathe. It's a builders class, not everyone wants to race a 600/1000 cookie cutter Japanese bike, and I'm glad for that. Some of the absolute coolest bikes out there are in the LW class. They are different and unique, and just because someone enjoys them and has more money than I do to spend, doesn't mean they should be forced to ride a 1000 or forced to ride a 4000 dollar SV.

It's racing. We're here to win. Some are here to have fun. But there needs to be a conscious split of those mind sets. I assure you, if you show up to BHF and enter MWSB with a 3500 dollar 1999 F4 with a lets have fun mindset, you will have your teeth kicked in by a 1st class rider on a 1st class bike who is there to win. Why should it be any different in LW?

Wow!  Ben, do we finally agree on something?

We have had some epic internet battles on this exact point...

George

jfboothe

I have been following this thread and find it very interesting. What classes is this GSXR 565 legal for?

LWT Racer

You havent been following it very well then.  :)

GTL, Lightweight GP, and LW F40
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

jfboothe

Well I thought I was. :) I thought the thread started as BMW bikes in LW SS, SB, etc. That was my confusion...

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Capitalview

Come on, when does a topic on an internet forum ever actually stay on topic!

bruce71198

Quote from: Capitalview on April 25, 2014, 10:23:02 AM
Come on, when does a topic on an internet forum ever actually stay on topic!
is a frog ass really water tight?

Capitalview

Yes. 

Next off topic question.