The Evolution of the CCS Overall Points Championships

Started by supercarl, December 10, 2013, 12:53:07 PM

supercarl

http://www.ccsracing.us/faq/ccs-overall-points-championship.pdf

Good read! Its nice to know the history of this and where the current system comes from. I think our present system is the most fair of the previous ones and still encourages entering additional races which is great for CCS and the sport in general.

Would love to see more articles in the future! Us young guns need more racing history lessons  :biggrin:

Good work!  :cheers:
Super Carl Soltisz #620 facebook.com/supercracing
Sponsors: Michelin, Sportbike Tire Service, TSE, Nexx WrecksNRestorations, Vortex, Moto-D, Pop Shadow, Galfer, Spy, Armor Bodies, GoPro, Sidi, AGV Sport, MotoNation, Hindle, Motion Pro, Zero Gravity, Bernat PC, GP Tech, & All Balls Racing

LWT Racer

Should be done like AFM.  #1-5 is big boys, then 6-10 are standard points how CCS does it. Puts emphasis on their top class, Formula Pacific. 

This wouldn't make Middleweight and Lightweight guys happy as they can't get #1.

Current system is fine too :)
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

leeroy996

Quote from: Swiest on December 10, 2013, 01:46:39 PM
Should be done like AFM.  #1-5 is big boys, then 6-10 are standard points how CCS does it. Puts emphasis on their top class, Formula Pacific. 

This wouldn't make Middleweight and Lightweight guys happy as they can't get #1.

Current system is fine too :)

I like that system 1-5 the big bikes, 6-10 the rest.

Gino230

Good article! Now can someone explain how the performance index works?
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

MELK-MAN

think of the PI as a "batting average". If you win every race, you have an index of 1000. It's a multiplier. if you win a race, 35 points, get multiplied by 1.00 since your index is 1000. If your index is 500, from finishing middle of the pace on average, your multiplier is .5 so your 35 points are multiplied by .5 thus you don't have 35 points, you have 17.5 points. The multiplier adjusts every race weekend. Win a race, then finish mid pack, you have an index of 750. (or a multiplier of .75).

Now, that is for each class. the OVERALL index is the average of ALL your races. If i understand correctly, it USED to be the average of each class. Win every race ALL SEASON LONG, pi of 1000.. but did shitty in ONE RACE IN ONE CLASS (250 performance index).. your overall index, even though you won 9 races in one class, and finished nearly last 1 time in one class.. is still 625 for your overall. That kind of sucked. And, it discouraged riders from every doing a 1 off race just to have fun, for fear of wrecking the overall PI. Now, the overall is just that.. the PI of ALL your races.

The PI is simply a multiplier rewarding good "performance". Especially when some classes have few riders. 5th place points are still pretty good, but when you finish 5th out of 5 consistently, you have a very low PI, and that multiplied by 5th place points results in VERY FEW points :)

hows that ??
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

supercarl

That write up needs to be posted in the FAQ on the CCS website lol. It took me forever to figure that out last year as an amateur
Super Carl Soltisz #620 facebook.com/supercracing
Sponsors: Michelin, Sportbike Tire Service, TSE, Nexx WrecksNRestorations, Vortex, Moto-D, Pop Shadow, Galfer, Spy, Armor Bodies, GoPro, Sidi, AGV Sport, MotoNation, Hindle, Motion Pro, Zero Gravity, Bernat PC, GP Tech, & All Balls Racing

Gino230

Thanks Greg.

So if you win one race one weekend, come in 5th out of 10 in another class, your overall PI is 750, correct? The Overall points would then be 5th place points+1st place points x .750?

Or is it 1st place points x 1.000 + 5th place points x .50?

Assuming both races pay towards the overall of course.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Gino230 on December 16, 2013, 02:43:00 PM
Thanks Greg.

So if you win one race one weekend, come in 5th out of 10 in another class, your overall PI is 750, correct? The Overall points would then be 5th place points+1st place points x .750?

Or is it 1st place points x 1.000 + 5th place points x .50?

Assuming both races pay towards the overall of course.

i could be reading your question wrong, but keep in mind the new way the PI is calculated for the overall.. is that each race counts on it's own. SO, if my math is correct, a (1000pix1race) x (500pix10races) / 11total races = PI of 545

2 years ago, you would have had 1000 pi in the one class, 500 in the other class netted you a 750. And it was equally problematic if you had a 1000 after winning 10 races in one class, then decided to race one class one time and got mid pack finish or a 500 index for that class, it pulled your perfect ten race 1000 in the one class, down to 750 with one single crappy finish in another class. Not really ideal. The new way is better.

Edit: YES. 1000 with one race in one class.. plus a 500 in one race in one other class, would give you a 750 overall PI. You continue to add to those PI in the individual classes. A mid pack finish in the class you had the 1000 pulls it to a 750, but another mid pack finish in the 500 pi class still is 500.. BUT.. due to averaging, you will have a tougher time pulling the 500pi class up. cause 500+500+1000/3races = 667 whereas 1000+500+1000/3races = 833 .. But the OVERALL pi is just the average PI of every single race you do all year long. A poor finish in one class is just averaged in with ALL the other races you do in every class.

Gino230

I Think I'm finally getting it.

So let's say I go out and win every LW superbike race all season (8 races). My PI would be 1000 and I would get 100% of my 1st place points counting towards the overall.

Then on the last weekend of the season I also decide to enter MW superbike, and I finish 5th out of 10 (mid pack) which means my PI for that class, that weekend would be .500.

So do we:

A) average the 8 1000's and one .500 which will pull my overall PI down to let's say 990 (don't have a calculator handy) and thus my overall points will go DOWN?

OR

B) will my overall points increase by .50 x the earned MW Superbike 5th place points?
CCS / ASRA EX # 23

kvanengen

Thank you, Melk-Man. 10 years of racing and I never once sat down to figure out how the point structure works. It was complicated enough where I didn't even bother to try... Thank you

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Gino230 on December 18, 2013, 11:22:26 AM

So let's say I go out and win every LW superbike race all season (8 races). My PI would be 1000 and I would get 100% of my 1st place points counting towards the overall.

Then on the last weekend of the season I also decide to enter MW superbike, and I finish 5th out of 10 (mid pack) which means my PI for that class, that weekend would be .500.

So do we:

A) average the 8 1000's and one .500 which will pull my overall PI down to let's say 990 (don't have a calculator handy) and thus my overall points will go DOWN?

OR

B) will my overall points increase by .50 x the earned MW Superbike 5th place points?

Quote from: Gino230 on December 18, 2013, 11:22:26 AM

So do we:

OR

with 8 wins and the mid pack finish, you will certainly have more overall points. Not less. yes, the overall PI will go down but only slightly , as you are correct, that mid pack finish in the other class only counts for 1/9th of the overall PI. Your PI IN THAT CLASS will be a 500, thus you will only score 50% of the 5th place points for THAT class.. but it will not hurt your overall PI that much.

As mentioned before, in the OLD DAYS, it would have been a killer for your overall to perform poorly one time in one class. As every class PI was factored in EQUALLY to the overall PI. Not so now.