News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Blackhawk air fence

Started by the_weggie_man, May 07, 2003, 03:40:26 AM

the_weggie_man

Air fence is scheduled to be delivered to Blackhawk in the next couple of weeks.  ;D  A rep from the company will be at BHF May 28-30 or 31 to put it together.

We will need some volunteers to help for a few days
 with building the stuff.  I will be there as well as Mike Irwin but the more people we have the faster it can get done and hopefully be ready for that weekends racing.

Right now we have 20 sections of Air Fence Bike coming in. Ten that you guys are paying for through the increased gate fee, 5 donated by Wegman Fund and 5 donated by the Roadracing World Fund. Blackhawk is fronting the money ($10,050) so we can get the fence up as soon as possible.

I will have more info at riders meeting this Saturday.

spyderchick

Gordy, as usual, you rock.  8) Thanks for working so hard on this!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

sdiver68

Thank you for your hard work on this.  Although I am not going back to BHF this year due to some weird Great Plains scheduling, I'm very happy for the increased protection for all my MW friends and friends to be.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Super Dave

I should be there the night of the 28th... and the rest of the time...racing, teaching, etc...but it should be a good turn out by everyone, I would think.  Keep us posted.
Super Dave

KBOlsen

This is excellent news.  We're happy to help. ;D
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

the_weggie_man

Volunteers to help build this stuff are welcome ... 1 day, 2 days or whatever you can do. Don't feel that you have to be there for the whole deal. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for the kudos gang but it's a joint effort and will be well worth the work the first time I see someone get up and walk away from a header into the pillows.  :o

Super Dave

I would be happy to just dare the stuff and watch it sit there...

But I completely understand... ;D

Kind of like general deterence...if it's there, we'll never crash into it...and that will be fine.
Super Dave

Eric Kelcher

Just a note from someone who has assembled these before.
Items needed to do it are
Heat gun
Air compressor (good sized unit it takes a bit of volume I would say a 5hp unit)
I have no idea what you call it but as a kid in school we used it for inking I guess it would be an ink roller? about 1 1/2" wide and about 3/4" diameter rubber roller on a handle. Andy brings a few of these with him but extras always help.
gloves! rubber gloves melt fairly quickly with glue but are cheap

Have fun guys it took about 10 people a day and a half to assemble the 20 units at Texas Word Speedway
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

the_weggie_man

Equipment is no problem, just need some volunteers ..... Anyone interested please let me know in advance so I have an idea how much help can be expected.

Super Dave

So, part of the trick will be when?  If you're in an impact zone, you really can't put it together when something is going on, right?  CCS has the track from the 29th through June 1st.  When you thinking about putting it up?  Then it needs to come down?
Super Dave

the_weggie_man

Dave, first the stuff has to be built, as in putting the pieces together. This is not the inflatable air bags but Air Fence Bike (see www.airfence.com). It is supported by an internal foam frame that needs to be assembled and then covers put over that. We will assemble it in one of the garages. It will take 2-3 days just to build it before it can be installed trackside.  Hopefully it can be ready by Saturday the 31st.

Yes, the air fence will go up for each bike race and come down after each bike race. We don't want cars and go karts destroying our fence. Besides, the stuff will last longer if it doesn't sit out in the elements 24/7.

TerryE

I'll be there hopfully to corner work So if you nned more let me know