what class does the 1125r runs in

Started by sami888, November 02, 2013, 09:03:57 PM

sami888

hey guys

i am looking to build a competitive bike to run against air cool ducati 1100 and biomta . i was wondering does the buell 1125r run the same class, are they competitive if all other circumstances been equal.

i know a full built sv650 is very competitive but i am not looking to rebuild the motor every few racers.

thanks

apriliaman

With the Buell 1125R it is watercooled.You can race Heavyweight and Unlimited classes.Not in Lightweight.I raced that bike in team challenge and had to go in the GTO unlimited class.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

sdiver68

We proved the formula for running with the Bimota/Ducati contingent at this year's ROC.  Our goal was to compete with them at the costs, maintenance and reliability of a competitive middleweight.

BP Performance is happy to build more, either full bike to your spec or just the engine.  Or they can build you an SV that will be competitive at most lower speed tracks.  Contact me for details, lead time is about 2-3 months and can start with a 1/2 deposit.
MCRA Race School Instructor

tony216

1125's aren't LW legal.

I've been racing XB12's for a couple of years.  It's a cool bike and really cheap to build compared to some other brands in the class.  Hell, I bought my first XB for less than what it was gonna cost to build a mild SV motor. 

I can't say that racing them has been trouble-free, but I just got most of the problems fixed with one and the other has been really reliable.

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but feel free to PM me with questions.

Gino230

It's kind of tough right now for the LW classes because there are no bikes being built that are reasonably priced that fit within the LW rules. Ducati is ceasing production of the air cooled motors so the problem is only going to get worse.

There is a proposal in front of the rules committee to interchange frames and engines or downsize MW machines (reduce displacement) so we can have a machine that is cost effective and has parts available.

SV is probably the most cost effective but you're going to get creamed at Daytona or other very high speed tracks. They have proved more than a solid match at most tracks though.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

sdiver68

Proposal to downsize for lightweight Supersport?  Or Superbike?  There is nothing in the rules against downsizing in LTWT GP rules classes.  What exactly is the rules proposal?

Cowboy 6

C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

Gino230

The proposal is to allow downsizing (reducing of displacement) for SUPERBIKE classes. Also to allow frame and engine swaps for Superbike. WERA Allows this.

The problem is that there are no bikes currently in production that are legal for LW classes. For about $7K, you can have a nice 848 chassis with 1100 air cooled motor. Parts and chassis setup info is everywhere.  Doesn't seem like that big a deal when the Pierbon is now allowed into Superbike....that thing weighs less than an NCR or Bimota.

There are people sitting on the sidelines because the only option is to spend a huge sum on a Pierbon or buy a 10 year old SV or 1000DS, or dive into the MW field. So instead they are sticking to track days.

CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

sdiver68

Thanks Gino for the rules proposal details.

Turpin's bike is not only reportedly 295 lbs 120 HP, but also has Magnetti Morelli electronics with drive by wire and auto throttle blipping.  :banghead: With an AMA Supersport rider on-board at Daytona my BPPerformance GSXR565 turned nearly identical lap times to Turpin's race times. I ran the times I needed to win AM races my first time ever at Daytona on our Supersport engine prep level prototype, but expert win challenging 1:55s or better are definitely possible with the next Superbike level version.

Ironically, I read your Ducati.ms build thread for your bike and talked to Moto Corse about a similar project.  Awesome bike!  However, when I didn't get the answers from Chris I wanted we dreamed up a way another way to compete at least in the GP Classes.  He was talking $20k starting and difficult parts availability, we built ours for about 1/2 that and nearly unlimited parts availability.

There are bikes currently made in the class, they just aren't competitive with the bikes out there.  The Ninja 650 for 1.  It's kind of fun to have a builders class, there are plenty of options for guys wanting mostly off-the-shelf hardware.

Gino230

CCS / ASRA EX # 23

benprobst

Quote from: Gino230 on November 10, 2013, 03:56:52 PM
So how did you do it? De-stroke it?

Top secret!  :biggrin: unless you own a calculator of course.  :lmao:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Gino230

Being a Ducati nut the de-stroked 748 or 749 was high on my list. But you are forging new territory and will be on the hook for some research and development money.

One of the reasons I went with the 848 /1100 conversion was that MotoCorse had built several and I knew what I was getting as far as weight and Horsepower. Also the 848 is a known quantity with regard to parts availability and what it takes to make the bike handle.

With a smaller displacement 749 you are talking high RPM to get the thing to make power and that means valve timing and overlap, airbox and exhaust design, and head porting, even cam design all become unknowns. Start experimenting with that stuff and it gets expensive fast. Not to mention the reliability question of high RPM twins.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23